Round 3, 2008 vs Hawthorn. The 'Rivalry Round' Thread (officially approved by Giantroo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Round 3, 2008 vs Hawthorn. The Pre Game Banging on Thread

Huh?

I don't think we are playing well enough to win. It's only round 3. It doesn't mean I think we're shit or Hawthorn will win the flag, but this week, if I had to bet money on the game, it would be on Hawthorn.

Playing well? that's subjective. The Hawks haven't had real opposition yet as North flung the cue in the rack after quarter time in R1 :eek: and in R2, we just did the basics without breaking into a real sweat. The season starts THIS WEEK and getting one back for the one we LOST in R1 in front of the North faithful is paramount.

Besides, the Hawks will have to think twice when NORTH come out to play !!!

Coaching box will determine the result. JYD knows he can outcoach Clarkson so it's up to JYD to tighten the screws and show up the media for OVERATING the Hawks already. :)

Playing well? that's subjective. The Hawks haven't had real opposition yet as North flung the cue in the rack after quarter time in R1 :eek: and in R2, we just did the basics without breaking into a real sweat. The season starts THIS WEEK and getting one back for the one we LOST in R1 in front of the North faithful is paramount.

Coaching box will determine the result. JYD knows he can outcoach Clarkson so it's up to JYD to tighten the screws and show up the media for OVERATING the Hawks already. :)

What do you mean? I hope you're not saying a professional Footy team gave up one quarter into a new season.... :eek:

What do you mean? I hope you're not saying a professional Footy team gave up one quarter into a new season.... :eek:

Starts with a C...

Too Complacent ...intensity was fever pitch or there abouts in the opening quarter, had them 20-0 half way thru the first (wasted heaps of opportunities to bury them) and then they (Ess) lifted their intensity a little bit more while North just slacked off.. it's just one of those team 'switch off' things where IMHO, players think we'll be right, we'll pick up the slack later but it was left for only a handful as the midfield went AWOL and that tripped up the whole run on. I personally thought Ess played the smart way by going straight down the guts and every kick didn't miss the target as we just expected them to slow down but they didn't until it was all over half way thru the last. Pity the AFL forget about the fixture rotation they promised.. play them once a year for the last 7 seasons.

We'll be ready for them next year.

I find it hard to accept that beating Freo in Freo in 30 degree heat on the rebound wasn't 'proper opposition'.

Especially considering North have only played Essendon and Richmond.

We've got the Hawks covered on all lines. Only way we'll lose is poor team selection & poor coaching. Gee, on that basis I'm puting my money on the Hawks!

We've got the Hawks covered on all lines. Only way we'll lose is poor team selection & poor coaching. Gee, on that basis I'm puting my money on the Hawks!

The only line North have the Hawks covered on is the 'Poverty Line'.

The only line North have the Hawks covered on is the 'Poverty Line'.

True. Got you covered on that line (we no longer need to sell our home games to balance the books)

And oh yeah - I reckon we've got you covered on the white line fever as well. ( before you chicken hawks go squealing, that was a Wayne Carey reference;))
url

Now bugger off.

I find it hard to accept that beating Freo in Freo in 30 degree heat on the rebound wasn't 'proper opposition'.

It's a bit hard to argue that Hawthorn aren't in the better form heading into Round 3, but North always start the season slowly, how many times does Laidley say "it's a marathon not a sprint".

It would be fair to say that there is a lot more riding on this game for Hawthorn than for North.

True. Got you covered on that line (we no longer need to sell our home games to balance the books)

And oh yeah - I reckon we've got you covered on the white line fever as well.
url

Now bugger off.

Nice one Lidge, have we also got more members? did we beat them last time we played? have we won more premierships and played in more finals over the past 12 years? did we finish higher on the ladder? have we relocated away from our traditional home? I'm not even going to mention the colours or Jeff Kennett.

It's a bit hard to argue that Hawthorn aren't in the better form heading into Round 3, but North always start the season slowly, how many times does Laidley say "it's a marathon not a sprint".

It would be fair to say that there is a lot more riding on this game for Hawthorn than for North.

Just when I thought that I have read every bit of bullshit imaginable, you come up with this nugget of wisdom.

If you lose, you will be 1-2 and effectively three games behind Hawthorn given our huge percentage. If we lose, we will still be in good shape at 2-1 with key players still to come back into the side. Make no mistake, this is a far more important game for North than it is for Hawthorn.

Nice one Lidge, have we also got more members?

Not even close.

The game will be won in the middle. Both sides have great inside midfielders and tall forward lines but will be stretched down back in defence. Who ever can get the most clean disposal into the forward 50 will run away with the game, the key is to not waste the ball going into the forwardline because you'll get killed on the counter.

Hawthorn love to control the corridor and switch the ball to the other side of the ground when coming out of defence, Laidley is a clever coach, so I've got no doubt he'll make the Hawks work alot harder to control the corridor and switch the ball out of defence.

I should be a great match.

Nice one Lidge, have we also got more members?

Line ball if we're counting human & Victorian members.

They'd give us a frightful touch up in the canine and feline membership stakes. Lay down misere that one.

More riding on it for Hawthorn?

I think the Roos want to keep this hold on us as much as we want to lose it.

I think this will be a good clash, and its a good rivalry we have at the moment.

I wont pretend to like your side, because I don't, I really hate North, but I respect them and can't wait for the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just when I thought that I have read every bit of bullshit imaginable, you come up with this nugget of wisdom.

If you lose, you will be 1-2 and effectively three games behind Hawthorn given our huge percentage. If we lose, we will still be in good shape at 2-1 with key players still to come back into the side. Make no mistake, this is a far more important game for North than it is for Hawthorn.

I kind of agree with you. But I refuse to call this an 8 point game (as we always lose those ones)

If you consider the most overrated and probably oldest list in the comp great opposition you'll be in for a shock when you come up against some half decent sides.
Lol, who did you play in round one?

A pack of frontrunners beating up on the shittest team in the comp who are probably at their lowest ever on field off field ebb, and you want some respect for that?

Only played Essendon? How much did you beat Melbourne by? Essendon would beat them by about 80pts.

Pressure is the Key

If North spply pressure throughout the game they will have a real shot. Hawks can be forced into errors and enough pressure and flooding will nullify our gameplan.

If the hawks are sharp with disposal and can generate some run. We will be very hard to stop.

Looking foward to the match. Would love a close, tight game. Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned hate-filled rivalry and a blow out either way wouldn't be as fun.

If you consider the most overrated and probably oldest list in the comp great opposition you'll be in for a shock when you come up against some half decent sides.

A pack of frontrunners beating up on the shittest team in the comp who are probably at their lowest ever on field off field ebb, and you want some respect for that?

Let them run with that. By his theory, they're a super power on par with Footscray.

They'll have a reason to be emo when we pants them on Saturday.;)

Line ball if we're counting human & Victorian members.

They'd give us a frightful touch up in the canine and feline membership stakes. Lay down misere that one.

Does that include donations from cricketers and supporters of other clubs etc.

Speaking of the Semi last year, yes we lost, but 3/4 of the Semi Final last year were Hawk fans...where were the 30000 'strong' North fans that night?

SOAP (Travelling back from Perth) could be the defining factor... Time will Tell... bookmark it

More riding on it for Hawthorn?

I think the Roos want to keep this hold on us as much as we want to lose it.

Make no mistake the Roos NEED to hold onto this one.

If we lose we've still won 2 of our first 3 with a huge percentage - well above expectations at the start of the year, but if the Roos lose they will slide to 1 and 2 with a poor percentage, at the start of the year I'm sure North would have marked down rounds 1 and 2 as WINS and round 3 as a 50/50 contest.

Only played Essendon? How much did you beat Melbourne by? Essendon would beat them by about 80pts.
I never mentioned Melbourne, or the fact we were missing key players for both rounds.

I'm not interesting in "our sides we played were better than your sides argument" that's primary school talk.

I'm just responding to the fact we played a side in Perth and won, and don't think that's an easy task no matter where Freo or West Coast are on the ladder.

Speaking of supporters, yes we lost, but 3/4 of the Semi Final last year were Hawk fans...where were the 30000 'strong' North fans that night?

Probably watching the cricket.

Yeah nah. If your side was such a draw card, how come we're the ones playing at the G in front of 80,000, 2 weeks running when you couldn't fill the Dome?

Not to mention a record non Crows crowd of 45,000 for a Port game the week after at AAMI.

AFL conspiracy I suppose.

I never mentioned Melbourne, or the fact we were missing key players for both rounds.

I think its funny how you can just write off a win in Perth as a nothing opponent.

Especially when Fremantle were/are still a favourite to win the title.

Fremantle ran a pretty decent Collingwood side 3/4 away from home in round 1.

Probably watching the cricket.

Yeah nah. If your side was such a draw card, how come we're the ones playing at the G in front of 80,000, 2 weeks running when you couldn't fill the Dome?

Not to mention a record non Crows crowd of 45,000 for a Port game the week after at AAMI.

AFL conspiracy I suppose.

The AFL couldn't play a Melbourne final on the Friday Night and the Hawks-Adelaide was the lowest drawing game. Make no mistake that Semi Final was one of the most one sided crowds for a final I've been to between 2 Victorian clubs at the MCG.

We have just under 34000 ticketed members and you have 29000 so its not worth arguing about.

Why do you keep throwing in the "we were missing key players" bit? What makes you think we have any interest in that?
I'm not interesting in "our sides we played were better than your sides argument" that's primary school talk.
Aren't you? :confused:

Then what was the business about "Especially since North have only played Essendon & Richmond"?
I'm just responding to the fact we played a side in Perth and won, and don't think that's an easy task no matter where Freo or West Coast are on the ladder.
Fremantle are garbage. But if you want to gloss that performance up, and you weren't that convincing anyway, you go for it. I won't stand in your way. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 3, 2008 vs Hawthorn. The 'Rivalry Round' Thread (officially approved by Giantroo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back