Round 3, 2008 vs Hawthorn. The 'Rivalry Round' Thread (officially approved by Giantroo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Round 3, 2008 vs Hawthorn. The Pre Game Banging on Thread

I'll say it again, this time with jam on the spoon since you're obviously a little kid who struggles to comprehend anything;

You're frontrunners, move on. :thumbsu:

Well I seem to recall Hawthorn being the best part of six goals down in an Elimination Final last season and getting up off the canvas to win. I also recall you guys being the best part of six goals up against noted AFL bottomfeeder Essendon and losing by ten. That pretty much puts paid to your "frontrunners" theory and also debunks that great unfounded myth, the "shinboner spirit."

Oh, and thanks for the "jam on the spoon." I'd like to return the favour but don't have any potassium on hand to feed to a mushroom like you.

Football changes so quickly from year to year, 12 months ago most clubs would have marked North down as a guarnteed win in their preseason projections...fast forward 9 months and you finished 3rd.

Don't tell most of the so called intelligent media that.. they'll laugh in your face.. then when they look at their pre-season predictions, they'll scratch their heads and ask you if you gave them the NITS.

Well I seem to recall Hawthorn being the best part of six goals down in an Elimination Final last season and getting up off the canvas to win. I also recall you guys being the best part of six goals up against noted AFL bottomfeeder Essendon and losing by ten. That pretty much puts paid to your "frontrunners" theory and also debunks that great unfounded myth, the "shinboner spirit."

Oh, and thanks for the "jam on the spoon." I'd like to return the favour but don't have any potassium on hand to feed to a mushroom like you.

Hey Cryptkeeper, karma is silent worker... you'll keep for harping on that R1 loss as your club will slip up sooner than later then you'll look the bigger fool.

Heck, the Swans smashed you guys late in the season.. what does it all mean in the context of finishing higher? exactly. ;)

Well I seem to recall Hawthorn being the best part of six goals down in an Elimination Final last season and getting up off the canvas to win.
By a point against a side that was stuffed and lucky to get there, and on the back of 7 goals from one guy and one of the most monumental stuff ups from an AFL coach, probably ever.
I also recall you guys being the best part of six goals up against noted AFL bottomfeeder Essendon and losing by ten.
Lol, yes, in round one with our best forward going down in the first twenty seconds and playing like shit for 3 quarters. We would normally wipe the floor with Essendon which is why when the initial annoyance disappeared a lot of us were having a giggle about it.
That pretty much puts paid to your "frontrunners" theory
No, you're frontrunners.
and also debunks that great unfounded myth, the "shinboner spirit."
What myth? Started by who? I've always said it's nothing to do with spirit, we're just a good side. You're like a penny that never drops. Too easy.
I can handle being a mushroom. Especially when a possible alternative could be a blank sheet of paper.

Hey Cryptkeeper, karma is silent worker... you'll keep for harping on that R1 loss as your club will slip up sooner than later then you'll look the bigger fool.

Heck, the Swans smashed you guys late in the season.. what does it all mean in the context of finishing higher? exactly. ;)

Pure rubuttal in the face of some really dumb comments by some of your most stupid fans (mark73 or whatever he calls himseldf is the main culprit) mate.

The two things I find laughable are:

1) you (not you personally, but aformentioned muppet and some of his henchmen) rubbish Hawthorn's win in Perth last week, dismissing Fremantle as a "shit" side, yet gloss over the fact that you were outscored by Essendon by nearly 15 goals after quarter time only a fortnight ago.

2) you (again, the idiots as above) dismiss out of hand Hawthorn's spanking of Melbourne, yet are happy to crow about beating Richmond however both those sides were of about the same standard last year.....all the while using exactly the same logic (ie. North beating Hawthorn LAST year) to qualify your arguments here that North should beat Hawthorn this week. This is the textbook definition of hypocrisy, wouldn't you say?

Whatever the result on Saturday, Hawthorn whether you guys like it or not deserve to go in as pretty warm favourites and should win. This may or may not occur but you cannot claim that Hawthorn supporters are cocky and then in the very next sentence confidently predict a win based on all available information. Again, this is the textbook definition of hypocrisy.

Lol, yes, in round one with our best forward going down in the first twenty seconds and playing like shit for 3 quarters. .

Jesus, stupid and a selective memory.:rolleyes:

I don't recall Scotty Lucas playing too much of a part a fortnight ago and he is better than anyone in your forward line.

Yep, about the response I would expect from somebody that has nothing else to offer.
What else should there be to offer? There's nothing further to discuss with you. Prove anything I've said wrong, and maybe then I'll bother lowering myself to your level. Until then, as I said, head back to your own board or Bay 13 with the other Hawthorn teeny boppers. And have a talk about Big Wance.
I have systematically destroyed every lame argument that you have put forward and you are crying like a little bitch.
All you've systematically done is make a complete clown of yourself with continual :rolleyes: emoticons, completely missing the point of the thread and little squealing about how da big bad woo's supporters won't admit Hawthorn are a better side, when we're holding all the cards.
Don't throw all of your toys out of the cot now.
Like Hawthorn do to North on a regular basis, you've lost.

Now go away, it must be din dins time.

Whatever the result on Saturday, Hawthorn whether you guys like it or not deserve to go in as pretty warm favourites and should win. This may or may not occur but you cannot claim that Hawthorn supporters are cocky and then in the very next sentence confidently predict a win based on all available information. Again, this is the textbook definition of hypocrisy.

I can't speak on behalf of other fellow North supporters but I'm brutally honest of what I direct my views upon and it just reflects on why I think we've got more avenues to score more than you guys and employ the same shut down tactics of last season's SF. As for our form this season, I'm far from getting carried away. The Tiggers are a rabble and the team they beat in week 1 were really unfit as a team atm.. run outta legs after getting out to a flyer as opposed to North's R1 debarcle, it's one of complacency I think that combined with the Bombers plan B working wonders when Lucas left the field and we lost Corey Jones early who as we witnessed last week, is a crucial element of our forward set up. Not that last's SF has anything to do with it and let's not overlook Thommo. Remember him? :)

So really, the bookies are going to take the more intensive team as their solid bet... Hawks are off & running so that's the bookie's guide. North have rarely rated with bookies since Carey left anyway. In R1, North were 10c shorter than Essendon. 50/50 game for the bookies.

I prefer North as underdogs actually. You guys are on top and what better way to kick-start the season with a HARD slogging win. North went thru their paces in the first two weeks.. big difference when you have the opposition that lacks any real mojo vs a team of contributors on every line virtually.

Good thread this one, some good banter and some shocking banter, from both sides. You, however my friend need to take your blue and white glasses off and take a dose of reality/humility...

Should be good game, I can be sure that I'll be up at 4am tuning into the radio over here... Can' wait, if we can beat our bogey side after a win in Perth, look out! :thumbsu:

Good thread this one, some good banter and some shocking banter, from both sides.

Mostly shocking and Bay 13 esque.

Although at least its moved to on field banging on rather than the previous Tassie vs GC banter.

Should be a cracker, Hawthorn rightfully go in as favorites but I reckon we match up well with them and will collect the bickies.

Official North Melbourne vs Hawthorn "Rivalry Round" Thread

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Preview: North Melbourne v Hawthorn[/FONT]
Author:
3/04/2008 4:30:00 PM

NORTH MELBOURNE
B:
Petrie, Firrito, Harding
HB: Pratt, Gibson, Brown
C: Harvey, Simpson, Grant
HF: Campbell, Thompson, Rawlings
F: Jones, Edwards, McMahon
FOLL: McIntosh, Wells, Harris
I/C: Swallow, Thomas, Power, Hale
EMG: Watt, Ross, Smith
IN: McMahon
OUT: Watt

HAWTHORN
B: Guerra, Gilham, Murphy
HB: Ladson, Brown, Birchall
C: Young, Mitchell, Tuck
HF: Bateman, Boyle, Osborne
F: Rioli, Roughead, Franklin
FOLL: Taylor, Sewell, Hodge
I/C: Campbell, Ellis, Stokes, Lewis
EMG: Clarke, Morton, Williams
IN: Lewis
OUT: Dew (hamstring)

North Melbourne v Hawthorn Venue: Telstra Dome
Date: Saturday, April 5
Time: 2.10pm AEDT
Head to head: North Melbourne 72, Hawthorn 85, drawn 2
Last time: North Melbourne 14.9 (93) def Hawthorn 8.12 (60), first semi final, 2007, MCG
Betting
TABSportsbet: North Melbourne $2.85 Hawthorn $1.38
Centrebet: North Melbourne $2.78 Hawthorn $1.45
Summary
Much soul-searching after their shock round-one loss to Essendon has righted the Kangaroos but whether they have straightened enough to match top-of-the-ladder Hawthorn is doubtful. The Hawks are fresh from their second straight win after overpowering Fremantle. Shane Crawford is still serving the final match of a suspension incurred in last year's semi-final loss to the Roos, while Stuart Dew's promising start to life as a Hawk ended when he tore a hamstring against the Dockers. Their one weakness is the absence of a key defender to match Kangaroo forward Nathan Thompson, who will relish another crack at his old side. North responded impressively against Richmond last week, Corey Jones leading the way with seven goals.
Key: Defensive concerns aside, the Hawks look to have the answers everywhere else.
Tip: Hawthorn by 25 points

Preview: Kangaroos v Hawks

Sportal

VENUE & TIME: Telstra Dome, 2.10pm Saturday 5 April
HEAD TO HEAD: Wins: North Melbourne 72, Hawthorn 85, Draws 2
LAST TIME: North Melbourne 14.9 (93) def Hawthorn 8.12 (60), 2007 first semi-final at the MCG

WALKING WOUNDED: North Melbourne's injury list: Nathan Grima (knee) season, Robbie Tarrant (shoulder) season, Jess Sinclair (thumb) 1 week, Lachlan Hansen (foot) test. Hawthorn's injury list: Max Bailey (knee) 4-5 weeks, Beau Muston (knee) season, Trent Croad (wrist) 5 weeks, Stuart Dew (hamstring) 4 weeks, Clinton Young (groin) test.

FORM: The Kangaroos were no match for Essendon first-up but atoned for that loss by crunching Richmond by 41 points at the MCG in last Sunday's twilight clash. The table-topping Hawks opened their account with a 104-point thumping of Melbourne before returning from last Saturday's match against the Dockers at Subiaco with four very handy premiership points in the bag.
WHO'S HOT: After being KO'd early in the contest against Essendon, Corey Jones bounced back with a match-winning seven goals against the Tigers. Veteran Shannon Grant was not far behind Jones with four majors, three of which were scored in a dazzling second term. Skipper Sam Mitchell led the way for Hawthorn against Freo with 27 disposals though Travis Tuck, in for suspended pair Jordan Lewis and Shane Crawford, made a compelling case to be retained for the longer-term with 25 highly-influential touches.
WE THINK: The loss to the Kangaroos in last year's finals still rankles at Hawthorn. Josh Gibson was able to keep a tight rein on Lance Franklin; Brady Rawlings tagged Luke Hodge out of the contest; Hodge, Shane Crawford and Jordan Lewis all managed to get themselves reported and Brent Harvey repaid the Hawks for the heavy treatment they dished out all night with four very important goals. Could history repeat? Yes. Will it? No. The Hawks are flying and shaping even at this early stage as the leading contender for the Cats' crown. Stuart Dew's out, but with Ben McGlynn, Lewis and Mark Williams queuing up to get in, who cares? Reports that Hodge believes he was dobbed in by Rawlings at the tribunal last September has added some spice to the contest. The Kangaroos will give their best as usual but the Hawks have them covered in almost every department. Hawthorn by 27 points.

North Melbourne Kangaroos Pre-Match Quotes

Michael Firrito on whether Josh Gibson will be playing on Lance Franklin:
"Gibbo played on him in the semi-final and went reasonably well and I don't see why he wouldn't get him again. We are pretty big on the boys helping each other out and trying to knock over our opponents at the same time, so we will certainly have our hands full."

Brady Rawlings on whether he dobbed on Luke Hodge after last year's semi-final:
"I think I went to the ground and I was holding my face, so I am not going to lie about that, or what was shown on the vision. I believe it was an accidental thing but I don't think I could have lied."

Adam Simpson on the Hawks team in 2008:
"They're a little bit different although they have the same personnel pretty much. They've got a couple of quick small forwards now that have crept up. They're pretty damaging and across the line they haven't got too many weaknesses so I think we'll go in underdogs this week, that's for sure."

Adam Simpson on how North Melbourne will play against the Hawks:
"If you let them win the footy they're going to run all over you. The first couple of weeks, maybe the teams they played gave them first use. Part of our strength is to win the contested footy and if we don't do that we'll be in a bit of strife this week."

Adam Simpson on having beaten the Hawks in last year's semi-final:
"They've got some pretty strong memories of that final, as we do and from all reports they're pretty keen to come out and turn it around."

David Hale on playing contested footy:
"Last week we got back to playing hard footy and winning stoppages and stuff that we pride ourselves on, like winning contested ball which is where we got smashed in round one. Once we do that, we're pretty good team and if we can continue to do that this week against the Hawks, who are pretty good at it as well, it should hold us in good stead."

David Hale on North Melbourne's rivalry with Hawthorn:
"Obviously (the semi-final) was the biggest clash we've probably been involved with, so we know the history dates back to well before, but we really can only go back as far as our playing careers and last year was a big occasion."

Hawthorn Hawks Pre-Match Quotes

Luke Hodge on whether Mark Williams will return to the side:
"After the first round, it would have been pretty hard to drop one of the boys and it's probably the same again this week. As long as he keeps training as well as he has been, he'll be back in there soon, hopefully."

Average Age

Hawthorn (22 Players) = 22.94 years
Hawthorn (25 players) = 22.97 years

North Melbourne (22 players) = 25.13 years
North Melbourne (25 players) = 24.86 years

Average Games

Hawthorn (22 players) = 57.72 games per player
Hawthorn (25 players) = 57.4 games

North Melbourne (22 players) = 115.40 games per player
North Melbourne (25 players) = 105.08 games per player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Official North Melbourne vs Hawthorn "Rivalry Round" Thread

Thanks, GR.:thumbsu:

This is definitely my highlight moment:

David Hale on playing contested footy:
"Last week we got back to playing hard footy and winning stoppages and stuff that we pride ourselves on, like winning contested ball which is where we got smashed in round one. Once we do that, we're pretty good team and if we can continue to do that this week against the Hawks, who are pretty good at it as well, it should hold us in good stead."

Mostly shocking and Bay 13 esque.

Although at least its moved to on field banging on rather than the previous Tassie vs GC banter.

Should be a cracker, Hawthorn rightfully go in as favorites but I reckon we match up well with them and will collect the bickies.

True... but don't expect too much pre game banging on next week. Got those chaps from the MCC next week.

Looks like we'll be chatting amongst ourselves from Sunday.

I can't be stuffed searching for any info about this on here but I expect two late changes for tomorrow...

For the Hawks, Roughhead out injured. Won't get up.

For North, if JYD says on a Friday before a game that Smith categorically isn't playing, he is.

Meh.. Harro has never been soundly beaten by Mitchell

Mitchell get's more stats, that doesn't mean he's a more productive player with those
Harris performs well against Mitchell and is one of the best match ups for him in the comp because he gets his own ball.

One of my favourite head to head battles of the season.

By a point against a side that was stuffed and lucky to get there, and on the back of 7 goals from one guy and one of the most monumental stuff ups from an AFL coach, probably ever.

They were on a roll towards the finals, and were hot favourites to beat us. Not til afterwards did some people decide that the win doesn't count for much, not sure why, Adelaide are a good side, and will be around the mark again this year. "Stuffed and lucky to get there"? More stuffed than a young side that was expected to drop off about 5 weeks earlier?

Same 'logic' you use when we defeated Freo, suddenly they weren't a decent side and it was a nothing win over in Perth.

Same 'logic' you use when we defeated Freo, suddenly they weren't a decent side and it was a nothing win over in Perth.
Suddenly?

I don't rate Fremantle and never have, nor have I ever said I did. Might notice a lot of others don't either. You're making things up as you go along.

I can't be stuffed searching for any info about this on here but I expect two late changes for tomorrow...

For North, if JYD says on a Friday before a game that Smith categorically isn't playing, he is.

What has he done Filth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIR SAINT HOTDOG
As if people seriously considered tipping bulldogs. I'm not an arrogant supporter but as i said earleir in the week they match up terribly on us and i said ive never been so certain of a win ever.

Whichever way it go's, really doesnt pay to be too confident :)

Mark73 is one idiot that you cannot argue with mate. He is hands down the most stupid North supporter on BigFooty. He never has an original point of view and his arguments have more holes in them than swiss cheese. He even had the nerve amongst his inane ramblings to suggest that Corey Jones going down against Essendon was a key to North's capitualtion yet when I drilled him that Scotty Lucas also went down for Essendon, he refused point blank to address that issue. His arguments always consist of fairytales and outright lies cobbled together with the rather juvenile belief that getting the last word in will make him the winner of the debate. But the fact is this buffoon wont address one valid point that anybody else makes. His standard response is to reiterate his point, taking the option that shouting louder than his opponent somehow makes him and his point of view superior. He is a clown and whilst I find most North Melbourne supporters to be good natured but fierce in their support (as they should be) of their club, they should be ashamed of this goose. He is a spoiled brat that yells and throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way. He should be treated with disdain by all reasonable people.
Aww, did I upset you princess? By the look of the amount of mark73's in other posts of yours it's fair to say I've really got under your skin and inside your head haven't I? :)

But don't despair

Here

baby5.jpg

Does dat make it all better lil' diddums?

Interesting......What makes you say that Filthy? If true, it doesn't hurt us, thats for sure.

I reckon JWS might be a late call up as well, well i hope he is.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 3, 2008 vs Hawthorn. The 'Rivalry Round' Thread (officially approved by Giantroo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back