Round 3, 2008 vs Hawthorn. The 'Rivalry Round' Thread (officially approved by Giantroo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Round 3, 2008 vs Hawthorn. The Pre Game Banging on Thread

North certainly looked better against Richmond. Richmond. Hawthorn is a FAR better team. Tough test this week.

I honestly dont know how Brown, Petrie and Harding get a game. Some of their decision making at times is just flat out bad.

As has been said whoever gets on top in the midfield in this game will go a long way to winning. Wells needs to back up his form from last week. He seems to play well against the Hawks.

We're going to win cause Dean has got a new trick up his sleeve.
To be revealed in due course.

I expect our boys to attack this game with vigour. Last year's exit will be burning in their guts. They have the equipment to win the game, and certainly the motivation, now they must prove they have the smarts.

I think they have improved this area considerably between seasons.

My prediction: A tight first half and then we run the game out better in the 2nd half to win by 4-6 goals.

If you are confident the roos will win this I would go down and put some cash on the game currently Roos 2.80 and Hawks 1.40. No doubt the roos will shorten a bit prob be around the 2.15-2.20 mark come saturday

Hawks by 19++

Don't underestimate the 'nEw Age rules' that can play a big factor of centre clearances, you guys get rattled when things go against you and then there's the CJ factor.. hmmmm, same guy that TORE a MONUMENTAL HOLE in your ***** @ home in Tassie last season and didn't play in the semi-final. ;)

How's the margin looking now? :p

If you are confident the roos will win this I would go down and put some cash on the game currently Roos 2.80 and Hawks 1.40. No doubt the roos will shorten a bit prob be around the 2.15-2.20 mark come saturday

Hawks by 19++

Hawthorn will be the shorteners.
They have already been backed into $1.38 and North out to $2.85.
There is never much money for North to substantially firm in betting.

Any team team when they are allowed to play the way they want look good and generally win as it means no pressure is being put on them! Don't take this the wrong way but Hawthorn like to run lots and rack up the uncontested ball and avoid the contests. If we are are switched on in the contests and you allow us to be free flowing when we've got the ball... heck, maybe you could just allow us to win?

Did you make this up? Ask Mitchell, Sewell Hodge and Lewis about avoiding the contensted ball. The stoppages are one of our strengths. What we are most suseptable to is flooding. If you take away our space and play us very tight then we are forced into playing chip chip footy and make alot of mistakes. Last year you beat us because you had 3 loose men guarding space in our foward line, when we kicked it predictably to Buddy, you guys pounced and hurt us on the rebound. Laidleys tactics completely destroyed our foward structure and Clarkson was very much outcoached.

Rioli and stokes play a HUGE part even as such new players. The defensive pressure is something we seriously lacked. They have done a wonderful job in locking up the ball in our foward 50 and have laid some monster tackles. Also kicked 7 between them in 2 games.

Hawthorns biggest weakness is the rebound. Because we play a relatively unaccountable style with a flooding defence, a turnover going foward and some quick ball movement will often result in a goal to the opposition as we can not flood back in time to counter our obvious height deficiency (even with Croad in). Rioli and stokes lurking around the foward 50 will help. If we can win in the middle and send it foward with speed and efficiency we will win. In saying that i think our rucks will be slaughtered.

my tip, Hawks by 3 goals. In saying that though, i have money on the Roos. The odds are just too good. If the Hawks lose ill be pissed off but ill have enough cash to buy a nice bottle of something to calm the rage.:thumbsu:

my tip, Hawks by 3 goals. In saying that though, i have money on the Roos. The odds are just too good. If the Hawks lose ill be pissed off but ill have enough cash to buy a nice bottle of something to calm the rage.:thumbsu:
Me too, if i'm right i get the tip, if wrong get pissed :D

Did you make this up? Ask Mitchell, Sewell Hodge and Lewis about avoiding the contensted ball. The stoppages are one of our strengths. What we are most suseptable to is flooding. If you take away our space and play us very tight then we are forced into playing chip chip footy and make alot of mistakes. Last year you beat us because you had 3 loose men guarding space in our foward line, when we kicked it predictably to Buddy, you guys pounced and hurt us on the rebound. Laidleys tactics completely destroyed our foward structure and Clarkson was very much outcoached.

We beat you well and truly in the stoppages as well. If Harris gets a good grip on the ball, you need at least two people to get it back off him if you want to wrestle it in the packs.

We beat you well and truly in the stoppages as well. If Harris gets a good grip on the ball, you need at least two people to get it back off him if you want to wrestle it in the packs.

With lewis back it will be 50 50 at best.

Last year you beat us because you had 3 loose men guarding space in our foward line,

Name them, and who or where were their three Hawthorn opponents?

Not confident this week. I think they are in better form than us, have their forward structure settled and a deep midfield who are playing well. By comparison, we were horrendous 2 weeks ago and well structured and coached if very scratchy 3 days ago.

We can't tag our way out of this game. We need to win the footy and use it better. I am confident we can beat them around the ball, not so confident we have the cattle to turn that posession into enough precise passages of play to kick a winning score. I'm bored of saying it, but until our skill level and abillity to break lines in posession matches our ability to win stoppages and contested footy, we simply can't expect to win games against very good sides consistently.

Its going to be a hot footy early.... and i'm starting to get nervous.

All i want to see is just some maturity and focus from our boys and plenty of run. IT appears we have improved since last year and North if switched on will be hard to match.

Hopefully there's a big crowd as well, big it up boys, Hawks by 4 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name them, and who or where were their three Hawthorn opponents?

Okay then - North didn't have anyone playing loose in the backline.

We were all imagining Buddy trying to mark against 3 players every time the ball went to him.

Hawks played dumb footy that night, and well below our best skill level. Those are the two things that won North the game. Hawks tried to push back too but north weren't as focused on a single player when going forward, so our backmen couldn't congregate in a place that North were definitely going to kick to. We went to buddy every time and it was stupid. Every time we looked like gaining some momentum we'd turn the ball over.

The thing I really give North credit for is stopping Hodge.

Win lose or draw, I just hope it's not as ugly to watch as our last 3 games against each other. (Yes, I even thought it was horrible to watch when we beat you in round 3.)

I want to see a tough, fast, skillful game of footy where both teams kick 100+. It could happen.

Good luck guys! :thumbsu:

Not confident this week. I think they are in better form than us, have their forward structure settled and a deep midfield who are playing well. By comparison, we were horrendous 2 weeks ago and well structured and coached if very scratchy 3 days ago.

We can't tag our way out of this game. We need to win the footy and use it better. I am confident we can beat them around the ball, not so confident we have the cattle to turn that posession into enough precise passages of play to kick a winning score. I'm bored of saying it, but until our skill level and abillity to break lines in posession matches our ability to win stoppages and contested footy, we simply can't expect to win games against very good sides consistently.

Thanks for giving me some confidence in our boys NB.:rolleyes: Whats the point of even watching this game then?

Okay then - North didn't have anyone playing loose in the backline.

We were all imagining Buddy trying to mark against 3 players every time the ball went to him.

I think what Zebra is getting at is that our backline had opponents however they were chopping out each other and playing smart team football. You make it sound as if there were 3 players on Franklin and that is just not the case. It was a backline playing team football and you were unable to think you’re way around it. To suggest that it was simply throwing 3 players on one opponent is a little cheeky. The fact that you were going to one player a lot made the backline’s job a little easier.

I think what Zebra is getting at is that our backline had opponents however they were chopping out each other and playing smart team football. You make it sound as if there were 3 players on Franklin and that is just not the case. It was a backline playing team football and you were unable to think you’re way around it. To suggest that it was simply throwing 3 players on one opponent is a little cheeky. The fact that you were going to one player a lot made the backline’s job a little easier.

Apart from the use of the word cheeky - yes, exactly right.

And the fact we were moving the ball so slowly, and didn't have any fluency (due to the Kangaroos pressure and the way they set up) meant that is was easier for their defenders to drop off, and block up space as well.

I'm hoping that it'll be harder to stop our fluency at the Dome, where we play really well recently and our record is 6 of our last 7 or something like that. I would prefer it if Williams was playing, as he suits the Dome more so than Boyle, but I don't think he'll come back in this week.

Should be a good game, and I'm sure Laidley will employ some tactics at the start of the game which will see us caught off guard, and have to re-adjust our thought processes.

I'm hoping that it'll be harder to stop our fluency at the Dome, where we play really well recently and our record is 6 of our last 7 or something like that.

Gee, times change quickly.

The amount of crying from Hawthorn supporters after your first final was scheduled for the Dome was unprecedented.

Thanks for giving me some confidence in our boys NB.:rolleyes: Whats the point of even watching this game then?

Huh?

I don't think we are playing well enough to win. It's only round 3. It doesn't mean I think we're shit or Hawthorn will win the flag, but this week, if I had to bet money on the game, it would be on Hawthorn.

Daniel Wells to rip them apart as usual.

His career stats against Hawthorn -
2003 - 18 disposals, 8 marks, 1 goal
2004 - 10 disposals, 1 mark
2004 - 33 disposals, 8 marks, 2 goals, 7 tackles
2005 - 19 disposals, 4 marks, 2 goals
2005 - 19 disaposls, 4 marks
2006 - 22 disposals, 4 marks, 2 goals
2006 - 29 disposals, 8 marks
2007 - 21 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal, 5 tackles
2007 - 28 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal

Pretty solid, apart from that 1 game all the way back in 2004. A few stand-outs aswell including last years semi-final effort where he managed a 20 disposal 2nd half including that brilliant goal along the ground from about 40m out

Hopefully he can continue on from last week

Huh?

I don't think we are playing well enough to win. It's only round 3. It doesn't mean I think we're shit or Hawthorn will win the flag, but this week, if I had to bet money on the game, it would be on Hawthorn.

True, we haven't played well or to our capabilities as of yet, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up this week & forget about us winning & i hope you haven't either.

Hawthorn v North games aren't very pretty (in fact they tend to be downright ugly) but they're always hotly contested.

You've been a bit of a bogey side of ours of late and if we're looking to take that extra step as a club, we need to put that to rest. You've been very good at shutting down our style of play in the past but i'm hoping the Hawks of 2008 are a better outfit than that you put away last September.

Our forward line seems alot more dangerous. Last year, sides could triple team Buddy and shut us down. Roughhead has already cashed in on this in 2008 and 10 goals in two games is hardly a poor return from Franklin despite the over-emphasis on him by opposition coaches. What sides will soon learn is that the best way to beat Hawthorn is to cut down the midfield supply, not triple teaming Buddy.

Behind Sydney, you lot have been the best at beating our midfield in recent times. Wells tends to play 2 of his 5 good games every year against us and Rawlings has cast ownership over both Crawford and Hodge. If the trend continues, we'll get done. If our midfield can at least break even, I have every confidence in our forward line kicking a winning score.

Gee, times change quickly.

The amount of crying from Hawthorn supporters after your first final was scheduled for the Dome was unprecedented.
What has that got to do with anything?

Who wouldn't prefer their final to be at the MCG rather than Telstra Dome?

I'd prefer to play on the G every week, but the Roos are one team where it definately suits us to play at the Dome.

I hope its a similar result to last seasons final.

Oh so sweet to knock the cocky Hawks out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 3, 2008 vs Hawthorn. The 'Rivalry Round' Thread (officially approved by Giantroo)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back