Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko walked out on to the ground after the game and the only person he went to was Luke Bruest and back to the Nth boys !
Wtf?

reeves def threw his weight around more, more aggressive in and around contest. If he is winning the ruck and providing a physical presence then that’s the minimum & he can build from there.

I’m not seeing the same physicality from meek as yet.

Clarko walked out on to the ground after the game and the only person he went to was Luke Bruest and back to the Nth boys !
They were talking about it on radio today as Clarko was asked in presser, supposedly he waited a bit but Sam and the rest of the team were down the other end and he didn’t want to distract and make it all bout him after Sam’s first win…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were talking about it on radio today as Clarko was asked in presser, supposedly he waited a bit but Sam and the rest of the team were down the other end and he didn’t want to distract and make it all bout him after Sam’s first win…

Didn't want to make it all about him?

I seem to recall him in the Bulldogs rooms after that loss in 2016, and crashing Dimma's presser after Richmond's premiership in 2017.

I think he's probably furious with the club and it will take quite a while for him to get over what's happened in the past 2 years.

Thought our set ups from kick ins were much better this week, didnt give up the easy 25 metre kick who then plays on and bangs it to the wing. We were able to bottle it up in pocket for alot of there kick in’s and not allow the quick play on.

Reeves I thought was serviceable, but raises a question why is a 6ft 10 ruck not instructed just to run and jump as high as possible to tap the ball to advantage or the smash the ball forward at the centre bounce. Instead he is looking at the opp ruckmen looking for body contact which negates his height advantage.

Really enjoyable win. obviously much better performance and a few wins along the way is crucial to keeping them engaged as it’s still going to be a long road. Can’t get carried away take newk and day out and we would really struggle. Midfield looking good and deep - like seeing newk mackenzie playing forward we will need dual position players going forward. Ditto stephens at box hill. Hope we are into Ben McKay him at fb with DGB Sicily CJ Scrimshaw and Hardwick would be fantastic. Gee Scrimshaw played arguably his best game I have never seen him be that desperate at the contest. HMo underrated despite a few howlers he’s important and will improve for the run. Forward line obviously needs some work that setup won’t work too often once we come up against half decent defences. Anyway great to wake up to a win let’s see if we can help the cats with their application for a priority pick!

Put it this way when Stratts took over as captain his statistical output (which was never huge) took a massive drop.

I'm just happy that Sicily hasn't let being caption affect his own game, if anything he has elevated it to other level.

You can argue impact vs stats to the cows come home but let's not kid ourselves that taking 18 marks in a game isn't an impressive feat.
As HedgeFund has pointed out, quite a few of those marks were from kicks backwards when we had the ball. Sicily always gives an option if there is nothing forward and players are happy to kick it to him because they know he is a good user. That is not taking anything away from Sicily who works his way into spaces when we have possession and are moving forward. However, the difficulty level of the marks in these situations is usually low. They don't have the same value of intercept or contested marks, which he also racked up.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay and couldn’t help notice Will Day during the team song. He was by far one of the most animated….certainly doesn’t look like a player who could be on the way out at the end of the year. Hopefully it’s just buying time to find some consistent form and then start to talk big bucks!!! Hope today is more of what we see from Day.

Just watched the replay and couldn’t help notice Will Day during the team song. He was by far one of the most animated….certainly doesn’t look like a player who could be on the way out at the end of the year. Hopefully it’s just buying time to find some consistent form and then start to talk big bucks!!! Hope today is more of what we see from Day.
He's not on the way out. He's the next captain of this storied club.

Image 2-4-2023 at 9.58 pm.jpeg
Dylan Moore mania is in overdrive!!! No Day being there is an absolute crime though.

"Ben Cunnington was a lone hand in midfield, with high 2020 draft picks Tom Powell and Will Phillips still developing, thus battling for genuine impact"

Didn't seem to bother our developing midfield

"Ben Cunnington was a lone hand in midfield, with high 2020 draft picks Tom Powell and Will Phillips still developing, thus battling for genuine impact"

Didn't seem to bother our developing midfield

The 2020 draft is looking a bit 'meh' at the moment. Very few players have looked like they will become genuine a-graders.
Obviously a lot of tall players that take longer to develop.

I feel for Phillips as well, absolutely horrid luck with injury. If he's out of favour at the end of the year I'd hope we are in for him.

Wining the clearances is such a nice change from previous seasons.

We missed a lot of easy shots in the second half - really could have buried them to be honest.

Agree that if the team had brought the kicking boots, it would have been a smashing.

Super pleased with the way they responded after things looked shaky.

We had a crazy number of scoring shots in the fourth, and extended the lead. That says a lot about the group's character, and shows us taking a step forward.

I wondered after Burgoyne retired who would be the heartbeat of the team - like Hodge he could lift everyone around him. It looks like in this team all of our better players stuck their hands up.

It wasn't so much a spark that did it, as it was the swelling of the tide.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back