Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

The forward line yesterday was very inexperienced with arguably the oldest champ contributing the least

Full credit to the players, especially the midfield, for playing to instructions on how the ball was to be delivered into the forward line.

Bruest 263 games
Moore 55 games
Newcombe 32 games
MacDonald 23 games
Meek 18 games
Brockman 12 games
Greene 8 games

Not sure how the highest clearance differential relates to clearance effectiveness?

Isn’t this just showing that we have more clearances than our opponents in a given game?

Doesn’t seem to show whether the clearance was turned over by the oppo, or resulted in a mark / retain possession to the Hawks does it?
I think he means effectiveness in terms of clearance wins vs total stoppages. There are a number of reasons total clearance wins might be higher or lower; total stoppages, goals kicked, pressure rating, total tackles and so on. Fact is that our games have been statistically less likely to produce a stoppage -

4th last in tackles
2nd last in oppo tackles
Last in goals per game
5th in oppo goals per game

Yet, shen you compare team / opponent differences we're 1st in centre clearances and 1st in total clearances. Pretty promising.

Also a big LOL at the ******* overly dramatic nuffies bemoaning about a winless season after two games.

You guys are cut of the same cloth as those in the media accusing us of tanking. Pull yourselves together.
^^ This, a thousand times this.

As I've said elsewhere, decades of success has one drawback: massively whiney and entitled fans....

Logue has always been a massive campaigner. Great to see the very intentional double team on him with Bramble falling into his back while Newc tripped him.

My favourite play of the day was at I think 16:40 to go in the second quarter (Kane mentioned it on the Sunday footy show). Cmac > Day > Cmack > Newc > Brocky.

North will rue picking a short inside mid with pick 3 over a key forward. I know would have had they had their reasons but players like McDonald don’t grow on trees.

Wining the clearances is such a nice change from previous seasons.

We missed a lot of easy shots in the second half - really could have buried them to be honest.

Scoreboard flattered them.

We were by far and away the superior team for three quarters of the game. Dominated in every facet.

They were missing their two best mids but we went in without a recognised key forward and almost two collective seasons worth of match experience.

Fair to say we are tracking well with our peers.

Far from a flawless performance, but some really nice things. Midfield looked very good, transition out of defence looked good too. Small forwards also looked very promising too. Much has been made of of Norths outs, but missing Lewis and having no other key forward to speak of is in my opinion a bigger out.

Plenty to like, set shots not so much, really should’ve iced that and won by 6 or so goals.

Really happy all around. Hoping to see more like that.

Congratulations. You definitely out thought and out played us. Your team has a bright future and, hopefully the win will shut the media up for a week or three.
Classy post- I notice there's been an absence of 'it was only North' rhetoric, says a lot about the kind of footy you played in rounds one & two and the side you're building. Few teams would be able to cover the loss of players like LDU, Simpkin and McKay, albeit I think we were more dominant than the scoreboard suggested.
Hopefully the upward trend of both clubs reignites the epic rivalry of yesteryear

Classy post- I notice there's been an absence of 'it was only North' rhetoric, says a lot about the kind of footy you played in rounds one & two and the side you're building. Few teams would be able to cover the loss of players like LDU, Simpkin and McKay, albeit I think we were more dominant than the scoreboard suggested.
Hopefully the upward trend of both clubs reignites the epic rivalry of yesteryear
We had our excuses, especially in terms of the travel we've done, and the heat during both matches. The reality, though, is that the best teams cope with these issues, and we're a long way from that level at the moment.

Simpkin and LDU are our best midfielders, so they were a huge loss. Our depth has improved a great deal, but isn't good enough yet.

Your forward set up was interesting. How many key forwards would you expect to play, in your ideal set up, in the future?

Congratulations. You definitely out thought and out played us. Your team has a bright future and, hopefully the win will shut the media up for a week or three.
Thank you for being gracious in defeat. Harry Sheezel is going to be an absolute superstar for you, and you are so very lucky to have LDU. Paul Curtis also seems like an impressive player. I do have one negative comment, though. It appears that Larkey and Zurhaar are still quite inconsistent.

Thank you for being gracious in defeat.
You were definitely the better team on the day.

Harry Sheezel is going to be an absolute superstar for you, and you are so very lucky to have LDU. Paul Curtis also seems like an impressive player. I do have one negative comment, though. It appears that Larkey and Zurhaar are still quite inconsistent.
Our forward entries were generally poor yesterday, didn't help any of our forwards.

Cam has generally come back to training a little bit behind with his fitness, so, in the past, has taken maybe half a dozen matches to reach the required level of fitness. That wasn't the case comng into this season. I thought that twenty disposals, two goals and a couple of clearances was reasonable for someone who spent most of his time in our forward line. If Cam can build his tank, he has the potential to be a very good player.

Nick is a leading forward rather than one who crashes packs or thrives on body contacts. At the moment, he doesn't seem to lead at the player with the ball enough. Thankfully, he making the most of every chance right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big step forward for Fergus today. He made heaps of contests when outnumbered and refused to concede.

Lewis coming back means Fergus will become the second aerial target who can actually take a grab. The rucks clearly aren’t doing that.

He also gives a bit of ground level pressure too.

I’d keep Greene in for sure

Greene hasn't laid a tackle all season. And his pressure acts tallies have been 20, 11, 11.

It's been reported by quite a few people (hinted by a couple of journos also) he wasn't turning up for rehab, was missing or late for training sessions.
We hung s**t of JHF for not doing the minimum off field, so why shouldn't brockman be afforded the same criticism?

If he keels performing that will be awesome. It is one game though. If it goes pear shaped again, what happens?
Wtf???

Great profile pic mate, fond memories watching the Marx Bros with my grandparents

It's been reported by quite a few people (hinted by a couple of journos also) he wasn't turning up for rehab, was missing or late for training sessions.
We hung s**t of JHF for not doing the minimum off field, so why shouldn't brockman be afforded the same criticism?

If he keels performing that will be awesome. It is one game though. If it goes pear shaped again, what happens?
That bag with all the dicks I suggested Messers Barrett, King and Montana snack out of? I think there's some left in there for you. I'd be embarrassed to think about typing such shite but there you go

Thats Good Robert Deniro GIF

I think he means effectiveness in terms of clearance wins vs total stoppages. There are a number of reasons total clearance wins might be higher or lower; total stoppages, goals kicked, pressure rating, total tackles and so on. Fact is that our games have been statistically less likely to produce a stoppage -

4th last in tackles
2nd last in oppo tackles
Last in goals per game
5th in oppo goals per game

Yet, shen you compare team / opponent differences we're 1st in centre clearances and 1st in total clearances. Pretty promising.
Looks like the connection from tap to clearance is really good. Honestly yesterday it was clear to me the quality of clearances we achieved was far better than the previous two matches.

Far fewer turnovers because the clearances were more effective.

Salty arse Lloyd "butbutbut North aren't going to win many games" No s**t, guess what? Neither will Hawthorn but that didn't stop you banging on about the Cheats beating Hawthorn in round one and how excellent they looked.

Essendon winning so easily was a great thing… because then everyone at Essendon thinks they’re actually better than they are.

The crash back down is harder when you’re higher.

Don’t rate them at all. They should finish above us but I just don’t see them hitting the 8 unless others fall over

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2023: Hawks skin the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back