Review Round 3, 2023 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Most people wanted him out of the side and at this point he is probably our most consistent midfielder. Having a really strong season. Shame a bunch of his more fancied team mates are playing like s**t
he is definetly our most consistent

bad miss agreed but we have our brownlow medalist doing that for a decade (as well as being incapable of hitting a target) and our connected boak doing it for longer

I suggest you review the Gold Coast game from 2022. Pretty sure Bonner stood Rankine and did a good job. Match ups Saturday night were horrendous, Rankine was licking his lips when he saw Tom go to him. Duursma had 8 possesions and a goal to 3/4tr time. thats why he was subbed out. IMO Jones was the one that should have been.
Bonner does not get his own ball and was the only Port player who did not lay a tackle (in the last game).
Where Drew was the best tackler with ten; Jonas two; Jone one and Farrell four.

Bonner does not get his own ball and was the only Port player who did not lay a tackle (in the last game).
Where Drew was the best tackler with ten; Jonas two; Jone one and Farrell four.
B@llsh*t go back and watch the game. 5 ground ball gets for a start. Who gives a sh*t about tackling, 3 Richmond player didn't lay a tackle last week, 4 Bulldogs players also didn't lay a tackle. Its an irrelevant stat unless your a midfielder. Please understand the game before you make ridiculous comments.

B@llsh*t go back and watch the game. 5 ground ball gets for a start. Who gives a sh*t about tackling, 3 Richmond player didn't lay a tackle last week, 4 Bulldogs players also didn't lay a tackle. Its an irrelevant stat unless your a midfielder. Please understand the game before you make ridiculous comments.
Hello there Riley

Most people wanted him out of the side and at this point he is probably our most consistent midfielder. Having a really strong season. Shame a bunch of his more fancied team mates are playing like s**t

Happens every year that someone unexpected hits form, but always coincides with someone who was good the previous year dropping away.

Like, does anyone expect Rozee, Butters and Duursma to all hit form together this year? The signs already aren't good.

They're definitely fitter than us

Disagree. They transitioned the ball easily out of the back half, not because we couldn't catch them but because we were more interested in guarding grass than pressuring the ball carrier.

This is the same team that couldn't overrun GWS with no players left on the bench two weeks before, and got blown away by Richmond in the last quarter a week before.

Coaching, coaching, coaching.

Why are Adelaide fitter than us?

They seem to give more of a shit, that's for sure.

They're definitely fitter than us

Barring the first, they outran us in each quarter like we were running in mud. That last quarter fade out did not surprise me in the slightest because it was working towards that for most of the game.

They were absolutely fitter than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he's probably got the balance right now, had his experimental runnery longery cookery period with us & tailored it properly at Melbourne.

Adelaide are now benefitting.

They couldn't run over a GWS side that was dead on its feet and had no interchanges left in the last quarter in round 1.

They were overrun by Richmond in the last quarter the week before the Showdown.

Sometimes it's just about momentum not fitness.

One of the elements of our game that particularly galled me both against Collingwood and Adelaide was our complete inability to pressure the ball-carrier coming up the field. Adelaide just chipped their way up the field as we retreated further and further back.

I think he's probably got the balance right now, had his experimental runnery longery cookery period with us & tailored it properly at Melbourne.

Adelaide are now benefitting.
Burgess is in year 2 at Adelaide. So its the 2014 version from our Burgess/Hinkley history. He's not yet at the cooking them stage.

Next year would be when he started getting experimental with Port.

The possible extra fitness aspect of the crow's aside, I would love to be as sure of winning x-lotto as I am that Nicks would have emphasised throughout the game to keep coming at them and they will eventually fold, ala numerous other Power losses in the Hinkley era.

They couldn't run over a GWS side that was dead on its feet and had no interchanges left in the last quarter in round 1.

They were overrun by Richmond in the last quarter the week before the Showdown.

Sometimes it's just about momentum not fitness.

One of the elements of our game that particularly galled me both against Collingwood and Adelaide was our complete inability to pressure the ball-carrier coming up the field. Adelaide just chipped their way up the field as we retreated further and further back.
The GWS game was played in brutal conditions & they played Richmond off a short break.

We don't chase as hard as them & they run into space with ease once in possession, I know you can trick yourself on replays but it stood out to me.

The GWS game was played in brutal conditions & they played Richmond off a short break.

We don't chase as hard as them & they run into space with ease once in possession, I know you can trick yourself on replays but it stood out to me.

Not going to die on a hill on this, but I don't think fitness is much of an issue between any of the clubs.

Teams get a run on, team structures break down. Collingwood belted us from breakfast to dinner time.

The whole game against Adelaide we never looked capable of containing them and we know how quickly Port under Hinkley can give up the ghost once they fall behind late in a game.

The momentum of the Showdown switched so quickly from when we took the lead and Rioli fluffed his golden opportunity, just looked like a momentum shift to me. We went forward and couldn't score, they went forward and split us open as they did all game.

Anyway, doesn't matter much, this year is lurching towards the coral reef and ready to sink. But hey, stability.

Not going to die on a hill on this, but I don't think fitness is much of an issue between any of the clubs.

Teams get a run on, team structures break down. Collingwood belted us from breakfast to dinner time.

The whole game against Adelaide we never looked capable of containing them and we know how quickly Port under Hinkley can give up the ghost once they fall behind late in a game.

The momentum of the Showdown switched so quickly from when we took the lead and Rioli fluffed his golden opportunity, just looked like a momentum shift to me. We went forward and couldn't score, they went forward and split us open as they did all game.

Anyway, doesn't matter much, this year is lurching towards the coral reef and ready to sink. But hey, stability.
Yea I think a lot of us felt if they produced the 3rd quarter against Richmond for longer against us we'd be in deep shite & they did.

Without the cramping holocaust in the last quarter they would've creamed Richmond.. anyway it's just opinion.

This point absolutely can't be understated. We didn't look interested in defending until the ball was past the middle. We let them chip it around at will in the back half and then desperately tried to defend the ball coming inside their 50. It was absolutely infuriating to watch.

When Darren Jarman saw Shanahan waiting for him at the start of the final term in the 97 GF he apparently exclaimed to a teammate "Look who I got, Happy Birthday!" I feel Rankine seeing Jonas must've felt similar.

This is a tremendous reference.

Consider, Shanahan was at the peak of his powers and earned a massive PSD contract from Melbourne that offseason.

Even if Jonas was at the peak of his powers and not as washed as Collingwood’s bunghole in prisonbar gratitude, it still would’ve been a bad matchup ripe for maximum exploitation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back