Round 3. Carlton V Essendon Saturday 11th April 7:10pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm strangely confident about this match. Carlton have been massively hyped up when really they haven't had a match yet where they have had to deal with being 4 goals behind or having to deal with massive pressure. The crucial thing in this match is the first quarter, if Essendon are leading by a large amount at quarter time I don't think Carlton will have it in them to come back... they will just expect it to happen because they think they should win.

Carltons midfield is clearly better than Essendons, with two exceptions, David Hille and leg speed. If David Hille fires and gives Watson first use of the ball at stoppages, Essendon win. Assuming Judd and Murphy line up in the center with either Stevens, Grigg, Hadley or Gibbs as the 3rd, I just don't see any of them paying enough attention to Watson and Lovett, these two generally carve teams up who don't pay any respect to them.

Who has the better:

Backline: Essendon. By a fair margain with Jamison out.
Midfield: Carlton. By a long way with Mcveigh and Welsh out.
Ruck: Essendon. Kruezer isn't strong enough to match it with Hille.
Forward: Carlton. If Lloyd and Lucas hit their straps then Essendons is better.

My prediction: Watson and Hille play very good matches and Essendon wins by 14 points.

I'm strangely confident about this match. Carlton have been massively hyped up when really they haven't had a match yet where they have had to deal with being 4 goals behind or having to deal with massive pressure. The crucial thing in this match is the first quarter, if Essendon are leading by a large amount at quarter time I don't think Carlton will have it in them to come back... they will just expect it to happen because they think they should win.

Carltons midfield is clearly better than Essendons, with two exceptions, David Hille and leg speed. If David Hille fires and gives Watson first use of the ball at stoppages, Essendon win. Assuming Judd and Murphy line up in the center with either Stevens, Grigg, Hadley or Gibbs as the 3rd, I just don't see any of them paying enough attention to Watson and Lovett, these two generally carve teams up who don't pay any respect to them.

Who has the better:

Backline: Essendon. By a fair margain with Jamison out.
Midfield: Carlton. By a long way with Mcveigh and Welsh out.
Ruck: Essendon. Kruezer isn't strong enough to match it with Hille.
Forward: Carlton. If Lloyd and Lucas hit their straps then Essendons is better.

My prediction: Watson and Hille play very good matches and Essendon wins by 14 points.

Definetly

McVeigh and Welsh are big outs, however i believe Lonergan out will prove the most pivitol. For us to win, Hille has to dominate, getting first use to our in and under players. Watson is now our main one, i'd feel surprisingly confident if Lonergan was playing, but not anymore. Hille and Watson need to be nearly the 2 best on grounds, with lucas/lloyd kicking at least 6 between them for us to be a chance. Carlton by 22.

Actually no, i cant stand the blues.

Just because im an Essendon supporter dosen't mean i can't tip Carlton.

I actually don't have a problem with you tipping carlton but you saying essendon is going to win the spoon is what I was talking about. You know nothing about your team.

Huge danger game for the Blues. Carlton have a massive list talent advantage on every line, but the Dons have a history of playing way above themselves in these games. Interestingly the Blues are going into this game with a younger starting 22 than the Dons, and a less experienced one. Essendon are going for experience playing 3, 30+ year old veterans. Trying to see how the Dons could win this one. Lloyd and Lucus would need to kick 6-7 goals each for starters. And the Dons "midfielders" would somehow have to beat Judd, Gibbs, Stevens, Murph, Grigg, Hadley and Robinson. I guess anythings possible on the night, and upsets always happen when they seem least likely. I'll stick with logic on this one. Blues by 82 points. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interestingly the Blues are going into this game with a younger starting 22 than the Dons, and a less experienced one. Essendon are going for experience playing 3, 30+ year old veterans

Essendon are going for youth playing: Myers, Quinn, Zaharakis, Daniher, Pears, Jetta, Dempsey and Hocking... :rolleyes:

I just dont understand this obsession with youth that goes on on BF.
Maybe people should understand its takes a balance and mixture of ages and experience, or is it an easy excuse for when their team does'nt preform?:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 3. Carlton V Essendon Saturday 11th April 7:10pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back