Prediction Round 3: Changes Vs Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Western derby: Jaymie Graham won’t reinvent Fremantle wheel, pledges to play Neil Erasmus through midfield

Fremantle caretaker coach Jaymie Graham has promised a steady-as-she-goes approach as he becomes the first man to coach both the Dockers and Eagles as Justin Longmuir’s stand-in in Sunday’s western derby.

Graham, a senior assistant at the Eagles who went through the coaching selection process at Collingwood before joining the Dockers, labelled taking the reins for the derby a “set of circumstances” more than a chance to measure himself as a senior coach.

He said:

• Neil Erasmus would play predominantly in the midfield in his AFL debut;
  • Sean Darcy (ankle) and Caleb Serong (knee) would be given as much time as possible to prove their fitness for the derby;
  • The club was working through how Longmuir could have input remotely during the game.
“You have experiences in your life that help along the way. This is a great opportunity for our club to work on our trademark and behaviours,” he said.

“There are some leaders who aren’t playing so it is a good test for our maturity.”

Asked about the disappointment of last week’s loss to St Kilda, Graham said: “You are not going to win every game but we want to do it playing our way.

“We didn’t quite do that. The boys know where we let ourselves down last week and we get an opportunity to bounce back this week.”

Graham said the club had planned for the possibility that a coach would be impacted by COVID protocols.

“We have planned for something like this to potentially happen throughout this crazy weird season. We will shuffle a few seats and play our roles and hopefully put in a good performance for JL while he is not here.”

“I had a chat to him on the phone on the way in. I am sure there will be come communications into the box. He will be able to have input and tell us what he is seeing on his screen,” he said of Longmuir.

“It will be a collaborative approach.”

As for having insight into West Coast players?

“It helps. There is insight on some of the players I have dealt with,” he said.

“They have spoken a lot about their contest and we are seeing that a bit in games. There is a bit of a different method but as far as individuals go I suppose I can have some insight from that point of view.”

Graham pledged to unleash Erasmus through the middle of the ground as last year’s Pick 10 gets his first chance to shine on the AFL stage.

“That is his position. Over the last couple of weeks at Peel he has had small stints forward. He has got quite good hands and he has got a bit of nous there,” Graham said.

“His effort and intent and the way he goes about things has been outstanding and he has really earned this opportunity. He is a hard worker and he puts his head in the hole to win a hard ball. I don’t think he will be too overawed by the situation.

“He has been patient. He would have liked to have gone straight in but he has trained hard all through pre-season. He has been in the middle mixing it with the midfield. He has shown his work rate and that has shown out on game day with his competitiveness.”

Serong will be given until the “last minute” to prove his fitness, having battled knee soreness all week.

Tbf, I think it’s Oz that says he doesn’t know footy too well but Duck thinks he’s a footy savant.

When in reality he’s that fat teammate in juniors who talks too much, is shithouse, and always grabs the oranges at halftime.

But yeah, some of their sprays are uncalled for.
Haha
You are actually 100% right with Duck! I was a pretty shit footy player who spoke too much!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the peel squad - I'm predicting the following:

Out: Darcy, Hamling, Banfield, Acres
In: Treacy, Cox, Erasmus, O'Driscoll

Walker the sub; with Banfield, Hamling and Acres held over as emergencies.

Looking at the peel squad - I'm predicting the following:

Out: Darcy, Hamling, Banfield, Acres
In: Treacy, Cox, Erasmus, O'Driscoll

Walker the sub; with Banfield, Hamling and Acres held over as emergencies.
Swap Treacy with Tabs. He trained fine yesterday. Treacy and Walker emergencies along with Acres or Banfield. One of Acres/Banfield released to Peel potentially.

Go the three pronged tall attack?

B Young ~ Hamling ~ Ryan
HB Clark ~ Pearce ~ Chapman
C O'Driscoll ~ Brodie ~ Aish
R Meek/Darcy ~ Brayshaw ~ Serong
HF Frederick ~ Taberner ~ Switta
F Schultz ~ Lobb ~ Cox
I/C Erasmus ~ Acres/Tucker ~ Colyer/Walters ~ Logue/Walker
Sub Tucker/Acres

In: Taberner, Cox, Erasmus, O'Driscoll
Out: Darcy/Meek, Walters/Colyer, Banfield, Tucker/Acres

Go the three pronged tall attack?

B Young ~ Hamling ~ Ryan
HB Clark ~ Pearce ~ Chapman
C O'Driscoll ~ Brodie ~ Aish
R Meek/Darcy ~ Brayshaw ~ Serong
HF Frederick ~ Taberner ~ Switta
F Schultz ~ Lobb ~ Cox
I/C Erasmus ~ Acres/Tucker ~ Colyer/Walters ~ Logue/Walker
Sub Tucker/Acres

In: Taberner, Cox, Erasmus, O'Driscoll
Out: Darcy/Meek, Walters/Colyer, Banfield, Tucker/Acres
Not a terrible team considering. I've seen better but I've also seen a lot worse.

- Seriously hope your right and Tabener is right to go.. I'll back him from here.

- Darcy and Serong are only 50/50 so I'm not confident to lock them in yet.

- If Cox is back, Hamling probably goes out

- Love seeing Erasmus in that team

- Love seeing O'Driscoll on that wing..it feels like it's been his to claim since I watched him running about at Perth in 2019

- I'd still pick Logue ahead of Walker. They're very different players though so I'm not sure they're battling for the same position. Walker needs to displace Young, Clark or force JL to pick another running defender off the bench. With all the problems we had in the midfield and forward I think there are other needs tbh. He's shown some great signs though - he'll get his chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back