Toast Round 3 = Collingwood 81-37 St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Think back to 2010, we were at our peak when we had multiple goal kickers and no ‘dominant’ forward.

We are much better off having - DeGoey, Stephenson, Elliott, Checkers and WHE as versatile mid sized options who all rotate and swarm aroundcan spend time high up field, or out of goal square.

IMO put a dominant KPF in our team - a C.Dixon, T.Lynch, B.Brown - and all of a sudden you upset the balance and guys like Elliott, Stephenson, WHE won’t get the opportunity to take the lead role and star if they are ON.

What we have works well, Cox will replace Cameron when ready...

Then we have Treloar who will come back and reshape the balance a bit

And hopefully will also have Varcoe, Greenwood, Langdon, JT and even Berg and Sier who will demand a game at some point and keep the pressure on young guys like Daicos, Browns and Noble...that also helped in 2010 when we had guys like Lockyer, OBree and Medhurst pushing for games but being left out

It’s shaping as the complete opposite as 2010 where the young kids forced the old brigade out gradually over the course of the season.

This year so far the young kids are already in the 22 and it’s the old blokes who will be knocking on the door!!!!

Daicos wrapping up a spot on the wing for mine has been the most exciting thing for mine. He's poise and class is outstanding to watch, having seen where he came from. In previous seasons he would have panicked or simply stopped and get smashed in the tackle, and it is great watching him take his time, and make the right decision, whether it be a handball or taking a step and finding some space. Pendlebury often talks about you know a guy is ready when the game begins to slows down for them, and I think Daic's is there now.

Phillips now must start feeling a bit of pressure, suddenly we have a few guys who can offer something from that wing position. Daicos, Rantall looks a good sort, Tyler Brown has looked ok there, Noble I think is more suited to a wing role and we know that Mayne and Sidebottom can comfortably switch out to a wing and provide either defensive/offensive versatility respectively. I'm not calling for Phillips to be dropped straight away but he's no longer the only outside mid we have, he needs to add some strings to his bow if he want's to stay in the side for mine.

Whilst I agree and would be exstatic if we nabbed one, I don't think for us a dominant key forward would justify the price. They're so rare and expensive, but with our plethora of options, I don't think we'd be well served playing through them often enough to justify what we'd lose if we chased one.

Yep, this. We had contract discussions for Moore and Langdon on hold while we looked to pursue Lynch. Who know's how that might have unfolded if we'd secured his signature. It's a delicate balance.

I reckon a fit DeGoey would have been enough.

Getting the Tigers on a GF in perfect conditions would have suited us down to the ground

Oh well, sh*t happens...hopefully we have a fit list come October this year

Or Cox, or Langdon.... We'll never know.

I think I'm watching something different with Callum than a lot of other people. Love the way he's progressing. His balance, agility and awarness in traffic is becoming a weapon.

I agree. I also love that his pace allows him to pressure 2 or 3 successive plays. Slows the opposition ball movement and can often lead to a turnover or a draw leading to a bounce down field.

A bit late to the party, but a great showing from the boys. The Saints came in with their tails up, but from the get go we didn't give them a sniff.

Great game from Maynard in his milestone. They tried to shut Howe out but that only allowed Moore to cut loose a bit more.

Another big leap from Daicos too, fantastic signs there

Rupert Wills held his own too, didn't mind his game in midfield

On to the next now

God knows how much praise each assistant coach should get, but those 4 players you listed are an awesome unit.
Crisp - best steak knives ever - in fact he is the complete filet mignon / rib-eye / scotch fillet in one
reliable week in week out - no drama / neurotic up and down etc etc - just reliable quality - gotta love that

A bit late to the party, but a great showing from the boys. The Saints came in with their tails up, but from the get go we didn't give them a sniff.

Great game from Maynard in his milestone. They tried to shut Howe out but that only allowed Moore to cut loose a bit more.

Another big leap from Daicos too, fantastic signs there

Rupert Wills held his own too, didn't mind his game in midfield

On to the next now
Agreed - many people who didn't see his early career are unaware that dad Peter was bloody good in the air when he needed to be, but he was so good at out positioning his opponent on the ground so it didn't need to be a feature of his play.

So what does that mean for Collingwoods game vs GWS?

I assume not much. I haven’t read any news sites today, but have NZ imposed tighter restrictions on Melbourne? If so, perhaps the warriors would be required to quarantine on their to NZ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Coaches gave them equal votes Dave.

Ratten must be taking the piss giving Butler a vote. 🤨

Going off the coaches' post match comments, Bucks gave Grundy 5 votes and Ratten gave him 0. Mathmatically has to have been the case for either Maynard or Grundy.

Daicos wrapping up a spot on the wing for mine has been the most exciting thing for mine. He's poise and class is outstanding to watch, having seen where he came from. In previous seasons he would have panicked or simply stopped and get smashed in the tackle, and it is great watching him take his time, and make the right decision, whether it be a handball or taking a step and finding some space. Pendlebury often talks about you know a guy is ready when the game begins to slows down for them, and I think Daic's is there now.

Phillips now must start feeling a bit of pressure, suddenly we have a few guys who can offer something from that wing position. Daicos, Rantall looks a good sort, Tyler Brown has looked ok there, Noble I think is more suited to a wing role and we know that Mayne and Sidebottom can comfortably switch out to a wing and provide either defensive/offensive versatility respectively. I'm not calling for Phillips to be dropped straight away but he's no longer the only outside mid we have, he needs to add some strings to his bow if he want's to stay in the side for mine.
Spot on about Daics. Pendles said it well on his podcast. He said the games starting to slow down for him when he’s got the ball, which happened for him after the first year or so. Although no one is in Scott’s category when it comes to making the game slow down around them.

Never thought I'd see or say this for a while but we legit look a level above the rest of the comp at the moment.

That's also despite still have more missing players than most teams.

Never thought I'd see or say this for a while but we legit look a level above the rest of the comp at the moment.

That's also despite still have more missing players than most teams.

Agree. It didn't sound wrong hearing people on the radio having us clearly on top of Power Rankings.

Buuut it's still early. And anything could happen with/to this season!

Have to remind myself we've only beaten the Bulldogs and St Kilda...

Agree. It didn't sound wrong hearing people on the radio having us clearly on top of Power Rankings.

Buuut it's still early. And anything could happen with/to this season!

Have to remind myself we've only beaten the Bulldogs and St Kilda...
Injuries to key players will most likely determine this season - those clubs that suffer long term injuries to key players will probably fall behind.

Injuries to key players will most likely determine this season - those clubs that suffer long term injuries to key players will probably fall behind.

There's so many unknowns in this year, that it is impossible to crystal ball. But as it stands right now, we are playing the best footy in the comp. I think mainly it is the consistency. Every other team (except Port Adelaide who have beaten up on the 3 worst teams in the comp) are fluctuating week to week. Our intensity has been at 100% every minute of every game. We are having fluctuations in games in terms of scoring, but defensively there has been no let up.

But it's just too early to get ahead of ourselves. So much could happen. Just look at Melbourne. They've done nothing wrong, but their game has been postponed, and will likely have to play multiple games in the one week to catch up. Plus they lose momentum from a win the week prior. That could quite easily have been us in a fortnight against the Bombers.

I think the thing I am most glad about is that I reckon we are very close to nailing down our best 22. I'd say Cox and Treloar are certainties to come in, but everyone else not in the side is fringe anyway. We've found the right mix. And there is flexibility in our side. We went with one less key defender last week, but Chris Mayne was able to float back for support. Not many sides are as tall as St. Kilda, so if we could manage their forward line with the defenders we had, then we don't need any more tall defenders in the side. The extra mid in Wills was better.

I'm confident in our depth as well. But let's just hope we don't have to call upon it too often, and we stay relatively clean on the injury front.

There's so many unknowns in this year, that it is impossible to crystal ball. But as it stands right now, we are playing the best footy in the comp. I think mainly it is the consistency. Every other team (except Port Adelaide who have beaten up on the 3 worst teams in the comp) are fluctuating week to week. Our intensity has been at 100% every minute of every game. We are having fluctuations in games in terms of scoring, but defensively there has been no let up.

But it's just too early to get ahead of ourselves. So much could happen. Just look at Melbourne. They've done nothing wrong, but their game has been postponed, and will likely have to play multiple games in the one week to catch up. Plus they lose momentum from a win the week prior. That could quite easily have been us in a fortnight against the Bombers.

I think the thing I am most glad about is that I reckon we are very close to nailing down our best 22. I'd say Cox and Treloar are certainties to come in, but everyone else not in the side is fringe anyway. We've found the right mix. And there is flexibility in our side. We went with one less key defender last week, but Chris Mayne was able to float back for support. Not many sides are as tall as St. Kilda, so if we could manage their forward line with the defenders we had, then we don't need any more tall defenders in the side. The extra mid in Wills was better.

I'm confident in our depth as well. But let's just hope we don't have to call upon it too often, and we stay relatively clean on the injury front.
No argument with any of that DaVe and we are due a decent run with injuries.
Swannies freak injury most likely cost us another flag so lets hope the footy goods smile for a change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 3 = Collingwood 81-37 St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back