Autopsy Round 3 vs Geelong @ The Bank. 02/04/23 - 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Ballard had more luck though, after arguing he had no intention of striking Guelfi.

The Suns defender was charged with striking and handed a one-match ban for an incident that was graded as intentional conduct, low impact and high contact.

The only part he sought to argue was that the action was careless, not intentional.

"I was getting blocked, and I was trying to fend off the players blocking me," Ballard said in giving evidence.

"I ended up fending off Guelfi. First contact went to his arm … then the head. It was all in trying to get to (opponent Harry) Jones.

"I was disappointed it was given a free kick. It didn't feel that hard."
After some back-and-forth between the lawyers over what constituted a strike, the Tribunal agreed with Ballard.

Gleeson said the force applied in strikes to the body, like this instance, needed to be greater than strikes to the head to constitute a reportable offence.

"We accept Mr Ballard's straightforward evidence that he intended to fend off Guelfi and did not intend to strike him," Gleeson said.

"We find the strike to the head was careless, but not intentional."

Going to be interesting to see if Jeremy Cameron plays because ballard can't go with him with his speed and agility ( not many can). I wouldn't mind stein getting a call up for the task.

Dmac Collins ballard

Long stein weller

Anderson swallow luko

Ainsworth chol hollands

Rosas King holman

Witts Rowell miller

Flanders farrar Jeffery Humphrey
Sub- sexton
Let's throw swallow into the middle early to set the tone in his 200th, Anderson to give us the outside run on the wing and moved to the middle as the game wears on. Flanders in the midfield rotation with hollands taking his half fwd. Humphrey to be the low percentage game time mid/fwd. This assuming Powell not yet considered.

What’s the deal with Jed Anderson. I drafted him in fantasy 🫠. Does he force his way into the side anytime soon?

After hearing Chris Scott talk on AFL 360 and describe the struggles Geelong are currently going through, I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about this game. We all know the Essendon game was bad and unacceptable but I can just about guarantee that all will be forgiven if we beat the defending premiers on our home deck this Sunday afternoon. Despite the struggles, Geelong are very much expected to beat us comfortably on Sunday so a Suns victory would send some shockwaves through the competition and really kick our season back into gear.

With the draw we were given, we were never expected to be better than 1-2 after round 3 anyway so in some ways a win this weekend would have a considerably greater impact on our playing group than a win over Essendon would have last round. This is the harder route but it's also the better route for our playing group to respond strongly after a poor game. All that's left to do is pull off the unenviably task of beating the Cats on Sunday.

After hearing Chris Scott talk on AFL 360 and describe the struggles Geelong are currently going through, I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about this game. We all know the Essendon game was bad and unacceptable but I can just about guarantee that all will be forgiven if we beat the defending premiers on our home deck this Sunday afternoon. Despite the struggles, Geelong are very much expected to beat us comfortably on Sunday so a Suns victory would send some shockwaves through the competition and really kick our season back into gear.

With the draw we were given, we were never expected to be better than 1-2 after round 3 anyway so in some ways a win this weekend would have a considerably greater impact on our playing group than a win over Essendon would have last round. This is the harder route but it's also the better route for our playing group to respond strongly after a poor game. All that's left to do is pull off the unenviably task of beating the Cats on Sunday.
ffs you've given me hope we can win now

All will certainly not be forgiven if we win against a beat up Geelong. And if they beat us considering the state their injury list is in, we are in for a very bad season. Enough is enough, I dream of a season were we are just a little bit better than mediocre but we don't even get to have that.

All will certainly not be forgiven if we win against a beat up Geelong. And if they beat us considering the state their injury list is in, we are in for a very bad season. Enough is enough, I dream of a season were we are just a little bit better than mediocre but we don't even get to have that.
I think you're underestimating the positive impact a win on Sunday can have. Think back to last year - was anyone talking about our poor R3 loss to GWS after we beat the undefeated Blues in R4? What about the poor R7 performance against Collingwood when we went on a run of 5 wins in 6 matches between R8-14?

Do you think Sydney were talking about their loss to us in R8 last year when they were gearing up for a home prelim against Collingwood? Will Brisbane be talking about their R1 loss to Port Adelaide when they finish in the top 4 later this year and are about to launch into their finals campaign? The fact of the matter is that all teams have bad games throughout a season but the good ones tend to step up in the important games. Brisbane responded with a statement win over Melbourne after a poor showing against Port Adelaide in R1 and now we have an opportunity to do the same thing against Geelong on Sunday.

If we get the win on Sunday then we can start to build into the season. Brisbane will most likely beat St Kilda on Thursday night so they won't be as confident heading into their R4 clash against us and Fremantle on a neutral ground in R5 looks winnable too with the way they've started the season. I know everyone is feeling flat at the moment because of what's happened in the last fortnight but our season is by no means over. Things can turn around very quickly this early in the season and I just keep coming back to the opportunity the boys have on Sunday against a vulnerable Geelong side. To use the words of a former poster who recently made a brief come back, this is a mini gf type of game for us and that's the kind of mentality our players need to have on Sunday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think 1-2 after round 3 was ever in question it’s the way that we lose is the issue.

Positive for us is poor defensive efforts like we seen last week from luko, rosas, ballard and I'm sure there was others are very fixable. Get this right and watch the offence flow. Mid week now time to put it past us and move on with the cats in the firing line😤

GC2015’s optimism knows no bounds!!
Whenever I read his posts I feel like the eternally annoyed slightly incontinent old dog with the playful puppy dancing around me saying"let's play Let's play It's sunny outside!!!"
No it's not
It's pouring with rain and my hind legs ache like shit

Jeremy Cameron and Stanley no guarantee to play. Both copped knocks and sore. Cameron still waiting the birth of his child.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think you're underestimating the positive impact a win on Sunday can have. Think back to last year - was anyone talking about our poor R3 loss to GWS after we beat the undefeated Blues in R4? What about the poor R7 performance against Collingwood when we went on a run of 5 wins in 6 matches between R8-14?

Do you think Sydney were talking about their loss to us in R8 last year when they were gearing up for a home prelim against Collingwood? Will Brisbane be talking about their R1 loss to Port Adelaide when they finish in the top 4 later this year and are about to launch into their finals campaign? The fact of the matter is that all teams have bad games throughout a season but the good ones tend to step up in the important games. Brisbane responded with a statement win over Melbourne after a poor showing against Port Adelaide in R1 and now we have an opportunity to do the same thing against Geelong on Sunday.

If we get the win on Sunday then we can start to build into the season. Brisbane will most likely beat St Kilda on Thursday night so they won't be as confident heading into their R4 clash against us and Fremantle on a neutral ground in R5 looks winnable too with the way they've started the season. I know everyone is feeling flat at the moment because of what's happened in the last fortnight but our season is by no means over. Things can turn around very quickly this early in the season and I just keep coming back to the opportunity the boys have on Sunday against a vulnerable Geelong side. To use the words of a former poster who recently made a brief come back, this is a mini gf type of game for us and that's the kind of mentality our players need to have on Sunday.
St Kilda are playing Essendon on Saturday night to begin with.
And no like I said, a win over a beaten up Geelong who are clearly struggling isn't going to make me forget the shit we have dished up in the first 2 weeks. We arent good enough and if Geelong beat us this weekend we are 0-3 and looking like a bottom 4 side, no matter how much glitter and sparkles you want to put on it.

And no like I said, a win over a beaten up Geelong who are clearly struggling isn't going to make me forget the s**t we have dished up in the first 2 weeks. We arent good enough and if Geelong beat us this weekend we are 0-3 and looking like a bottom 4 side, no matter how much glitter and sparkles you want to put on it.

I don’t think we have dished up “shit”. Looked a little dis-jointed sure, but there is a good team in there. I’m still confident

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just watched on the couch and Gary Lyons said he reckons the Suns will beat Geelong.

I just don't know where we sit atm. I know our defence is down in numbers and to not underestimate players impact like Powell but it feels like the midfield isn't doing enough when watching the games.

Also, I have always cringed whenever I see dmac selected but that half back position for him... he is one of the very few players who doesn't give up and has a positive impact while out there.

I don’t expect us to win on the weekend, but I hope we just show up.

On reflection against the Dons we played some very competitive football and should have been up by 4 goals at 3qtr time if we made the most of the third quarter dominance, we kicked 4.6 to their 4.0 ffs. Not to mention we let in the simplest goals in the last minute of every quarter.

I just think we have not got our forward line mix right yet and our backline is still missing key players.

I’m hoping for these changes:
Casboult out and Chol in - I’ll have nightmares about Chols round one game. But I just feel like Kingy and Chol are a far more dangerous duo. Dewy even said in his presser that he had his best session for the year on Thursday after being dropped.
Farrar in for Constable - I just don’t see it with Constable, and Farrar can play on smalls and talls is a more dangerous option on the outside.

Can’t imagine Powell coming in after 1 half of footy.
Would like to see Humphrey come in too but think he’s better of building for a few weeks first.

I don’t think 1-2 after round 3 was ever in question it’s the way that we lose is the issue.
We've played poorly for two weeks and you can probably argue it's been longer than that if you include the preseason. We know this but that doesn't mean it's going to continue. Every season you see teams have patches of poor play but go on to still have good season. I know it's a bit cliche to say this but we've only seen 2 of the 23 home and away matches we're going to play this season and that's not a big enough sample size to draw any conclusions about this being a good or bad season.

And no like I said, a win over a beaten up Geelong who are clearly struggling isn't going to make me forget the s**t we have dished up in the first 2 weeks. We arent good enough and if Geelong beat us this weekend we are 0-3 and looking like a bottom 4 side, no matter how much glitter and sparkles you want to put on it.
I mixed up St Kilda and the Bulldogs. My mistake.

I'm not saying people are going to forget what happened in rounds 1 or 2 but a win over Geelong will show what we all hope is true and that is we can match it with the big boys of the competition. Despite their struggles, Geelong have still been very competitive against a Collingwood side who look like they are the best team in the AFL right now and a Carlton side that looks set for finals. These are two respectable losses for the Cats - t's not like they are losing to teams like West Coast and people are questioning whether they are even finals worthy.

A win over this Geelong would still be really good IMO but I completely understand why you feel that way right now. A few buddies of mine who support the Lions were also seriously questioning where their team was heading after their R1 Port Adelaide loss but now they aren't so worried after seeing the Demons game. I think we'll have a similar reaction on our board should we beat Geelong on Sunday.

18 v 18 is one thing. Their coach is another.
Fair enough. Can't really argue with the runs on the board when you compare Chris Scott to Stuart Dew.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3 vs Geelong @ The Bank. 02/04/23 - 2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back