Autopsy Round 4, 2024 : Hawks get Pied

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year we played the reigning premiers (Geelong) who were travelling poorly, and they hammered us early and then we turned our toes up.

This year is different. There’s more fight and willingness to get back into the contest.

We may not win as many games, but we will be competitive for longer in all of them.

That’s progress.
Is it? we're 0-4 so i'm pretty disenchanted personally. Tonight it took nothing short of a miraculous single-handed effort by Hardwick to get us back. That's not going to happen every week. Other games we've had our pants pulled down bar one quarter. We've shown glimpses but feel like we've gone backwards.

Ramma & Meek - A great combo

Got destroyed around the ball in the first half - Nash's opponent JDG made him look silly.

Amon very good. Hardwick awesome. Ward good.

Sicily got back into some form and it seemed to rub off on Scrimshaw

Still a bit fumbly in congestion and need composure

Weddle won't want to see a replay of a few moments today - you don't wear the jumper if you do not go when it is your turn.

Good to see our intensity lift in the second half bringing some pressure which has been non-existent this year.
bang on. feels harsh to criticise Weddle but hopefully he doesn't do that again.
Nash just doesn't look like a mid, got no kicking sense, panics under no pressure as well.
Not sure how to judge Chol's game.

Won the contested possessions by 10.
Second youngest list in the comp, vs the oldest.

+6 inside 50's too.

We might be still ironing out a bunch of things, and playing without some good players, but one thing we've done consistently this year in each game is still find ways to transition the footy to our forward line, even if we're getting well beaten in the middle.

Interestingly Sam called it at half time that we were doing a lot right, but we let them score too freely late in the second, and that we needed to get a better set up forward of centre. It certainly got better.

emotional instinctive reaction... amazing effort by the boys.
Meek should never get dropped again
Nash should never play again
Amon should never play in defence again
Connor Macdonald should have a spell in vfl
Newcombe is back!
Spot on, CMac has been ordinary all year so far, a spell would not hurt him that's for sure, as he needs a reality check. He is a talented kid but gifting games on talent, encourages laziness.
2 possessions, zero tackles to 1/2 time doesn't cut it.

Mab didn't have the best game today, was well beaten by Frampton but I loved his effort. His competitiveness (or lack thereof) was his biggest knock but I just don't see it.

Kept presenting all day and flying for marks. His chase down attempt in the 3rd quarter was inspirational. He was totally cooked but still found it in himself to run that extra 10m to lay a glove on the Pies player. He did all this while taking a big hit early in the first quarter that had him hurting.

Should have kicked two goals today which would have been a good return but I love him already.

A lot of what exactly? Seriously, stop overrating his performance. Yes he touched the ball a few times but he was nowhere to be seen in the forwarding, especially late when the ball kept getting pumped into the forward line. It took a back pocket to show how to play forward.
Not sure what game you was watching!

Not unhappy.

Good signs, great to see Meek putting in a performance. He has set the standard he needs to maintain but it is a good standard.

Ramsden looked terrible in the pre season games but didnt look too bad tonight.

Blake Hardwick good and Newcombe back to his best.

Good signs.

Worp just 5 touches in the second half?
He seemed to go forward a bit more but we were better without him in there?

Also dropped the Daicos tag in the second half which actually helped but meant finn was useless.

I think finn should have been subbed instead of butler - Butler was quiet but he could have jagged a goal in the last when we were pressing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it? we're 0-4 so i'm pretty disenchanted personally. Tonight it took nothing short of a miraculous single-handed effort by Hardwick to get us back. That's not going to happen every week. Other games we've had our pants pulled down bar one quarter. We've shown glimpses but feel like we've gone backwards.
besides Essendon we have played three of this year's likely top 4 teams. We had some great wins last year but it's easy to forget we were also belted time after time. The gap between our worst and best is closing. We haven't had our "pants pulled down" for entire games the way we did at least 5+ times last year.

We were missing Blanck, Watson, Breust, Day, CJ and Lewis (and Wingard if you want to count him)

Not a bad effort today given we missing our best mid, FB and CHF

Think we played alot better the last 2 weeks against 2 of the better sides in the league, hopefully a few more wins on the horizon

Chol's statline reads 5 kicks, 2 hb, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 1 hitout and 0 goals 1 behind.

He was much better than it suggests

He put in a shift. That's all we can ask of a developing team.

He ran himself into the ground today. Earned his pay cheque.

Just needs to convert those easy opportunities. Would have been the difference today.

Worp just 5 touches in the second half?
Sometime when we play well, he doesn’t actually get that involved.

He has been great this year, but in three losses. There’s plenty of players in the competition who do that (have great games despite the team not winning).

I’m not being critical, but James not having much influence doesn’t mean we can’t win games. In fact it may mean the other players around him are doing more, which is exactly what we want.

I think you're missing the point here, which is how much difference the effort actually makes. Richmond were the definition of a not amazing side but their workrate won them 3 flags.

Well lucky we have their old fitness guru then.

The old argument of cause and effect I suppose. I think personally we’ve just had better days than that second half.
Would love for that effort to be the norm though

I don't really see Ramma as a ruck. He looks like a pure forward to me and a pretty good one at that.

I'd rather we go in with Meek + Chol as our ruck duo next game.

Ramma cant contest well enough up forward with his slight body

Got bullied about 5 times up forward in the last

If Lewis is back then I agree with you

No way he has the leg on his right foot, in his left it’s a different story.
I’m a big Scrimmers fan and he’s been excellent this year mainly playing as a key defender but using his attacking instincts when he can.
Always room for another passenger on the Scrimshaw bus my good fellow!

Ive seen Scrimmers have more offensive output in previous years but as you say this is probably the most balanced defensive/offensive version of him we have seen.

Chol's statline reads 5 kicks, 2 hb, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 1 hitout and 0 goals 1 behind.

He was much better than it suggests

I agree - I thought he worked hard today - long chaises to add pressure, pushing the footy forward, and fighting it out. Created a couple of our goals in second half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back