Preview Round 4, 2024: Richmond v St.Kilda - Norwood Oval, Sunday 7th April, 3:20PM AEST *GATHER ROUND*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldnt agree more.

Port are a club who realise the importance of a gun midfield, and apart from Horne-Francs they drafted them all. Its the benefit of having a high functioning list management group for years. They traded out players they saw as excess and worked into drafts where they identified the midfield talent they wanted. They then traded for the players they wanted to fill holes, they seem a very well run club.
Wouldn’t get too carried away with PA just yet - agree they have a dynamic midfield that we would die for- but have choked at home big time in the 2021 and 2023 final series and under old Kenny for 12 years have never made a GF.

Let’s see how the year pans out for them

Too late, I am already in McLaren Vale and so am almost there.

I just have to visit three more wineries though just to make sure I am in the right frame of mind come game time ;)
hope your there. which wineries are you going to , if you are there?.

For 12 years we have been pushing the hope that our young talent will deliver. There was the Billings, Acres and McCartin era, then the Clark, Coffield messiahs. Now it is a another bunch of youngsters (who do look better). It is not about the list we have and "contending" now. It is about the list we should have and be contending with. Not been a serious threat to top 4 since 2010.

Barring North Melbourne, all of GWS, Freo, Adelaide, Eagles, Sydney and Hawthorn above have had top 4 stints in last 12 years and reasonable cracks at a flag. Most of them should be in rebuild/youth mode. We in fact shouldn't be.

Some of us do not have time to wait until we finally "get it right".

Penny drop of where we stood was with the football department review phase to highlight how inept we were in that regard, to then have the new head leave and bump up to get new head and then bring in new again based on where you took from, is both good and bad; good that you could replace with a like for like, bad that you needed to.

This is different to Eagles and North and co who are "we junked our oldies to get kids in, goodbye seasons!" as they still have choices, North less so because of obstinate instances to "things that make money" v "those shins are hawt" or the Hawks trying to convert a tip to offset the state of Tasmania.

Time is relative as to where it affects the club, sucks to be us it was in the "win games" section as opposed to "is the list in OK shape?" subsection of it.

Maybe Mitch and Pou and maybe Hammer are having second year blues, and not quite having an impact, not using their natural flair- probably a coach thing as Lyon tries to squash them into a role where doing anything outside the box is not on. I think Lyon did this in his first stint as a coach years back, and wasn't prepared take a risk with letting players off the hook. I just hope we don't see Collard limited, as we need X-factor.

Actually we had a lot go right.
Superior fitness got us wins up until the bye.
We found Hammer out of nowhere.
Chito blazzed onto the scene, as did Nas.
Battle stepped up, as did Stocker.
Crouch had his best year, as did Ro and Hill.
Then we got mega lucky with other potential top 8 sides shitting the bed in the last 3 rounds to let us keep our spot.

This year has not been so kind.
That was a massive part of why we played finals

Simply not true. Finished 6th last year after an incredibly disruptive start to the year injury wise.

And we are not in the midst of a significant rebuild. We are turning over our list at pretty much the same rate as every other club in the league.
Sounds like politician speak to me.

We over achieved last year and we are in the midst of a significant rebuild, you can call it anything you like if helps.

To add to this dose of reality, when you look at the Port v Essendon game last night and that Port Adelaide midfield just coming into its' prime, you realise how far off the pace we are. Right now, Swans, Port, Dees, Freo and Carlton are clearly better teams than Saints and there are a few in the mix with us in that second layer.

This game (like last week!) is a must win. If we are to sneak into finals we have to beat teams like Tigers and Essendon. They are supposed to be rated lower than us.
Yup.

Right now, here in R4, we are miles off the pace with a list being capable of doing anything like some damage in the final 2 weeks of a finals series.

It's why they call it a rebuild if you read between the lines when RL speaks he knows we are at least 2 to 3 years away from moving north of the middle of the ladder.

Patients will be needed whilst the recruiters probe foe the extra players we are going to need to complete the rebuild.

If you believe we are a true top 4 contending side. Your head is in the clouds.
Thats not a knock on our kids. That’s merely looking at it realistically and thinking we need abit more and definitely need more time in the oven.
We are on the right track but supporters need to align themselves with reality and not fantasy.
We are not a top 4 side. We could see an improvement and finish below 6th.
If we finished in the top 4. Then a lot of things went right as opposed to being where we should be based on quality of list.

The reality is if we ever get a full list to chose from for any length of time we are not far away. We dont yet have the list depth of some other clubs, but if we ever have our best players available for the majority of a season we would be not far off it. Until we can sort that point of our player management out we will never improve enough IMO.

It’s not very often a club performs significantly better then the entire landscape of AFL media predicts 2 years running.

Most have us correctly placed now. Upper echelons of the bottom 10 or bottom part of the top 8.

We won’t be as good as the top 4 sides consistently yet.

Need more time. Need more pieces.

I think it’s very evident that we are rebuilding on the fly.

Hope is getting created side by side a decent product to watch on the field.

The man himself keeps telling the fans he wants to keep playing youth.

It doesn’t mean you have to ground zero rebuild and for many a year clubs like Geelong & Sydney achieved competitiveness and finals - whilst developing their youth.

You are seeing that with us.

Just because it doesn’t fit your timeline doesn’t mean they are on the right track.

Perhaps that's why you should listen to me instead of the Damien Barretts, Kane Cornes and Brad Johnsons of the AFL world.

Of these so called "experts" - only one out 28 picked the Pies to be Premiers last year with another 7 of the 28 suggesting they'd miss the finals entirely.

Yup.

Right now, here in R4, we are miles off the pace with a list being capable of doing anything like some damage in the final 2 weeks of a finals series.

It's why they call it a rebuild if you read between the lines when RL speaks he knows we are at least 2 to 3 years away from moving north of the middle of the ladder.

Patients will be needed whilst the recruiters probe foe the extra players we are going to need to complete the rebuild.
Don’t think we need any more patients. Injury list is long enough.

Perhaps that's why you should listen to me instead of the Damien Barretts, Kane Cornes and Brad Johnsons of the AFL world.

Of these so called "experts" - only one out 28 picked the Pies to be Premiers last year with another 7 of the 28 suggesting they'd miss the finals entirely.

So 75% correctly called them to make the 8.

That’s kind of my point.

And how many of those were clangers versus turnovers?

Like really bad skill errors?

Don't think the argument about him was skill errors, the problem people saw was decision making. In which case him choosing to kick long to a contest on the wing when there were better options available is the "error", but wouldn't be written down as one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yup.

Patients will be needed whilst the recruiters probe
foe the extra players we are going to need to complete the rebuild.
Having read hundreds of your sclerotic, semi-literate, often insulting posts I feel it is necessary to highlight that, if you paused for thought, you may, perhaps, add something of meaning to this site.

How does the first part of your first sentence relate to the highlighted part, and what does the highlighted part actually mean? It is convoluted nonsense.

Your acute psychological insight into Lyon's mind is hilarious and is wasted here. It would be more valuable to the advertising campaign of a mid-western university in the corn fields of the USA promoting courses called "Quilt Making, Self-hypnosis and Credible Astral Travel."

Patience is integral to supporting the Saints. Some of us older fans have already demonstrated half a century of loyalty, or more. We do not wish such prolonged suffering on our younger brothers and sisters. However, I was unaware that a critical element of our future success was finding a number of patients willing to be probed. What type of probe is unknown, or for how long, or how many are required, however that is in itself a fascinating psychological insight and one which I'm unwilling to explore any further.

Can't wait for the flipping skinny ground to flipping cost us the game

It'll be more our skills going "wait, the boundary shouldn't be that close..." screwing us more than the ground with a fence around it. I'd have liked for it to be an actual oval though. That'd have been nice.

So 75% correctly called them to make the 8.

That’s kind of my point.
Only if you disregard all the things they got so so wrong.

I prefer to look at the whole body of their work and it shows that very few of the media "experts" have much more of an idea than most of us on this forum.

You can't help but. The more I watched Essendon yesterday, the angrier I got about last week's result.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hope the boys are forced to watch the replay of Essendon game last night.
Should be giving themselves an uppercut.
Although with our luck they’d be suspended by the MRO for it.

You can't help but. The more I watched Essendon yesterday, the angrier I got about last week's result.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because it was a winnable game, just as this is a winnable game, and for all of maybe 2 hours, we'll have reasons to win right in front of us, and maybe fail spectacularly to win that match.

Then, then we know even if we get a run on, even if we even stuff out at the culmination of the season, these instances will have bitten us straight in the arse.

All these excuses already of, it would be nice to be on an oval, the wings are to narrow are just crap.
Both teams have to play on the same ground let’s stop looking for excuses and get the job done.
We have injuries news flash they have more.
Doesn’t matter who’s out, it’s the 22 that take the field that matters.

Having read hundreds of your sclerotic, semi-literate, often insulting posts I feel it is necessary to highlight that, if you paused for thought, you may, perhaps, add something of meaning to this site.

How does the first part of your first sentence relate to the highlighted part, and what does the highlighted part actually mean? It is convoluted nonsense.

Your acute psychological insight into Lyon's mind is hilarious and is wasted here. It would be more valuable to the advertising campaign of a mid-western university in the corn fields of the USA promoting courses called "Quilt Making, Self-hypnosis and Credible Astral Travel."

Patience is integral to supporting the Saints. Some of us older fans have already demonstrated half a century of loyalty, or more. We do not wish such prolonged suffering on our younger brothers and sisters. However, I was unaware that a critical element of our future success was finding a number of patients willing to be probed. What type of probe is unknown, or for how long, or how many are required, however that is in itself a fascinating psychological insight and one which I'm unwilling to explore any further.
Crickey!
You do realise you can dish out a back hander without having to write a war N peace novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back