Review Round 4 vs Carlton, Metricon Stadium, Sunday April 10, 4:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I said on my podcast if we were 2-4 after this difficult start, that would be a positive. Good to already have 2 wins banked, if we can sneak one more before round 7, it will have been a great start to the season.
Before the bye I would rate our remaining games like this.

Should win
- Hawthorn and North Melbourne in Darwin (back to back games)

Very winnable
- Collingwood at MCG

Winnable
- Freo at Metricon

Underdogs
  • Sydney at SCG
  • St Kilda at Marvel

Outside chance
  • Brisbane at Metricon
  • Bulldogs at Ballarat

I think we should expect to win 3 of the above games - going into the bye at 5 wins, 7 losses.
If we can win 4 games, going into the bye at 6 wins, 6 losses is very encouraging.
Winning 5+ games of the above and we are right in the hunt for finals.

Early analysis.

This were our goal sources 2021 - pretty dependent on the forwards, limited impact from the midfield.

Fwd:150 goals (per game 6.8)
Mid:34 goals (per game 1.5)
Ruck: 8 goals (per game 0.4)
Def: 6 goals (per game 0.3)

These are our goal sources 2022 - midfield certainly chipping in a bit more. Forwards more reliable as well.

Forwards - 35 (per game 8.75)
Chol, Casboult, Rankine, Rosas, Corbett, Ainsworth, Lukosius, Holman, Sexton

Mids - 9 (per game 2.25)
Anderson, Davies, Sharp, Fiorini, Miller

Defenders - 1 (per game 0.25)
Weller

Rucks - 1 (per game 0.25)
Witts

Whilst the defenders haven't hit the scoreboard. They have been much better with goal assists early days. Powell, Weller, Ballard with 7 goal assists between them in the first 4 games. Our defenders in total had 17 goal assists last year (Lukosius 9, Markov 3, Bowes 2, Powell 2, Farrar 1)

FFS, why to grubs have to be like this. Hopefully find who they are and ban them from attending again. Go back under the rock they ******* came from.
I've hated Carlton with a passion since I went to Princess Park as a 15yo and had to listen to the smugness as to how they would just buy whatever players they want and f... other Clubs they don't count.

One thing I've noticed this year that I've never seen from us before, is that every time someone lays a good tackle or fights for a contested ball, you'll get a one of our boys going over to them and giving them a pat on the backside or helping them up. Rowell is the best for it, he seems to drive positivity to a whole new level.

Noah needs to clean up his disposal when he has some space and identify when he as a bit more time with the footy...I think it will come in time.

If he can do whatever kicking training that Touk did which cleaned his disposal up a couple of seasons ago he will become an elite player.

One thing I've noticed this year that I've never seen from us before, is that every time someone lays a good tackle or fights for a contested ball, you'll get a one of our boys going over to them and giving them a pat on the backside or helping them up. Rowell is the best for it, he seems to drive positivity to a whole new level.
I’ve noticed Elijah Hollands do this numerous times in the ressies as well. Hopefully we get to see him do it in the seniors soon.

Noah needs to clean up his disposal when he has some space and identify when he as a bit more time with the footy...I think it will come time.

If he can do whatever kicking training that Touk did which cleaned his disposal up a couple of seasons ago he will become an elite player.
Noah can be a really good kick. Sometimes I think he just runs so hard he’s stuffed when it comes time to take his kicks.

Watching the game from the stands yesterday a couple of things really stood out to me

1 the number of times Luko got burnt on the lead was disturbing, it’s almost like they deliberately don’t get to him

2 Ben Ainsworth seems to have no peripheral vision, I think that’s a reason he gets caught so much with the ball. It’s a little concerning as at some point he’s going to get crunched

Gold Coast v Carlton

9 Jarrod Witts (GCFC)
9 Noah Anderson (GCFC)
5 Touk Miller (GCFC)
4 Lachie Weller (GCFC)
2 Sam Collins (GCFC)
1 Adam Saad (CARL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Favourite part of the win was that tap down from Corbett to Powell who juggled the ball on one hand beautifully before kicking it to Chol.

Corbett added so much on the lead as an option. Quite frustrating that he was the sub last week.
He’s best 22 for mine. Just seems sometimes there are players who can have a bad patch of form but keep their spot in the seniors whereas there are players like Corbett who have one ordinary game and get squeezed out.

He’s best 22 for mine. Just seems sometimes there are players who can have a bad patch of form but keep their spot in the seniors whereas there are players like Corbett who have one ordinary game and get squeezed out.
I hate to say it because Sexy is probably our only current list player with multiple bags of 4 and I love him, but I reckon Josh has gone past him in what he offers

Think one of the biggest knocks on Josh is that he doesn’t do anything to influence the game unless he is marking it.

Plenty of 7 possession, 5 mark, 1 goal, 0 goal assists, 0 tackle and low pressure act type games last year.

Usually goes over his mark to kick, doesn’t move it on particularly quickly, not particularly creative or a great kick to team mates inside 50.

Not sure they’re games that Dew rates super highly.

Getting more involved in
scoring chains in other ways than mark - kick - like that tap over the head is good and shows development in his game - I don’t think he would have done that earlier in his career. He’s only played 30 games or something, so would expect him to keep getting better.

If he can continue to do stuff like that he’ll stay valuable in those games where he isn’t clunking 3-4 inside 50 marks and kicking multiple goals.

Definitely want him in the team as he is just about as reliable source to goal as we have and with his endurance base you know he’ll be getting away from his man in the last quarter.

Think there are some things to continue to work on though.

Think one of the biggest knocks on Josh is that he doesn’t do anything to influence the game unless he is marking it.

Plenty of 7 possession, 5 mark, 1 goal, 0 goal assists, 0 tackle and low pressure act type games last year.

Usually goes over his mark to kick, doesn’t move it on particularly quickly, not particularly creative or a great kick to team mates inside 50.

Not sure they’re games that Dew rates super highly.

Getting more involved in
scoring chains in other ways than mark - kick - like that tap over the head is good and shows development in his game - I don’t think he would have done that earlier in his career. He’s only played 30 games or something, so would expect him to keep getting better.

If he can continue to do stuff like that he’ll stay valuable in those games where he isn’t clunking 3-4 inside 50 marks and kicking multiple goals.

Definitely want him in the team as he is just about as reliable source to goal as we have and with his endurance base you know he’ll be getting away from his man in the last quarter.

Think there are some things to continue to work on though.
he's just another version of ben brown and even melbourne are with 50-50 since he arrived

he's just another version of ben brown and even melbourne are with 50-50 since he arrived
Decent comparison for play style, although Corbett obviosuly 10cm shorter so a fair bit easier to nullify.

Ben brown did kick 280 goals in his first 6 years in the league.

If Corbett can get to 140
in his first 6 seasons id be stoked 😂

Decent comparison for play style, although Corbett obviosuly 10cm shorter so a fair bit easier to nullify.

Ben brown did kick 280 goals in his first 6 years in the league.

If Corbett can get to 140
in his first 6 seasons id be stoked 😂
Would be very nice to see, we'll be playing finals if that happened

Remove this Banner Ad

Back