Round 4 Vs Melbourne - Selector's Table

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, blokes that are suggesting that Addison, Liberatore and Cross (for instance) need the spotlight put on them are just revealing that they don't understand football. Cross and Addison, whilst not superstars, stopped the game being a 15-20 goal blowout

So a 10 goal blowout is ok and you play a player with no future or skills Cross

Wow thats looking ahead

looking ahead

Is what Cross needs to be doing, everyone expects him to squirt a handball out backwards which he continually does

Not going to make any huge changes to his style of play at this late stage of his career, but Rohan Smith really needs to work hard with him to at least mix things up a bit more and make his game a little bit less predictable

3-4 extra forward kicks a game rather than backward handballs I don't think is a huge ask from Crossy - who is still getting to the contest OK

I cant believe some of you

One of the reasons we are so crap is because we are slow

Daniel Cross has been shocking all year and not anyone has called for him to be dropped

But he wont be as he is a QUALITY person with guts and endevour

Well you know what those QUALITY people you talk about CHEAP AS CHIPS 2 have turned the ball over ,been out run time after time and dont hurt on the rebound

In Anyone that can run
Anyone that can kick a goal from 50
Anyone that can hit a target

Out Anyone that CHEAP AS CHIPS 2 calls quality people

If you look back I said last year that we should trade cross with GWS in mind.

As much as everyone loves cross he is not going to move us forward as a club, we need to be ruthless with players like cross

Jarrad Grant continues to fail to impress I think the time has come for Zeph Skinner to be given another opportunity

Skinner will most likely be playing Williamstown 2nd's after the garbage he dished up for Williamstown yesterday, he is a mile off it if he even gets there at all as he plays behind his defender all the time hoping to get a ride to a hanger is poorly positioned and kicks it too poorly, is no chance for a call up

Finally, blokes that are suggesting that Addison, Liberatore and Cross (for instance) need the spotlight put on them are just revealing that they don't understand football. Cross and Addison, whilst not superstars, stopped the game being a 15-20 goal blowout

So a 10 goal blowout is ok and you play a player with no future or skills Cross

Wow thats looking ahead

Yeah, but he's a nice bloke.......

Calm heads people. Wholesale changes won't fix anything.
Obviously lots don't actually go the Willi games and see for yourselves who is demanding a spot, coz no one is. eg you don't drop one turn over merchant for another.
We really miss Williams and Moz down back. Just plugging gaps without them which is causing pressure all over the field

Peoples.....I watched the Willi game yesterday and based on that I wouldn't get too carried away with bringing in Veszpremi or Sherman. Both good and bad in equal measure. I don't think they showed enough form to warrant selection. Skinner did almost nothing

Panos didn't even play. Dickson was taken from the team and sent to Docklands at half time for what I am not sure.

Certainly Wallis was terriffic and should be in next week. JJ was also really solid. Tom Hill was another who was good. Campbell also played well. Talia was good. So any of those guys could get a gig. Who gets the upgrade?

Our problems are forward. We can't catch the ball in the forward line. But we knew this was going to be our biggest issue this year.

Having said that we need to stick with Ayce and Roughy in my opinion. Smith was ok but we need to get games into as many kids as possible. But we can't be silly about it.

If you look back I said last year that we should trade cross with GWS in mind.

As much as everyone loves cross he is not going to move us forward as a club, we need to be ruthless with players like cross

I said after the 2009 prem final we should have traded him and got smacked on this board for my view We would have got a top 20 pick for him then

I could see with Libba jnr Wallis Jnr, Picken Boyd etc in our side in the future we would have to many of the same type of players

Duh why couldnt the football department see that :thumbsdown:

On the form from last night I think you could drop just about anyone apart from Dahlhaus, Boyd, Picken, and Lake from the 22.

Can we pleeeeeaaaase bring in another tall defender. Either our coaches have mild mental disabilities or else they aren't disguising it well enough that we are playing for draft picks.

Out: Wood, Liberatore, Smith, Cordy (team balance)
In: Talia, Wallis, Sherman, Dickson

On the form from last night I think you could drop just about anyone apart from Dahlhaus, Boyd, Picken, and Lake from the 22.

Can we pleeeeeaaaase bring in another tall defender. Either our coaches have mild mental disabilities or else they aren't disguising it well enough that we are playing for draft picks.

Out: Wood, Liberatore, Smith, Cordy (team balance)
In: Talia, Wallis, Sherman, Dickson

Perhaps you're right about playing for picks. We're just doing the limbo - how low can we go. Only problem is, I genuinely think handballing back, sideways and around and around in the backline might actually be in the 'gameplan'. She's gonna be a long year. Buckle up people.

Close your eyes and throw 9 darts anything is better than the rubble last night

Jarrad Grant continues to fail to impress I think the time has come for Zeph Skinner to be given another opportunity

You should have a look at the Williamstown match reply from yesterday, Skinner got no way near it in a side that was well on top

Skinner is just not gonna make it I think. Keeps flying for screamers, and just doesn't seem interested enough.

What we do have running around at Willi is some big talls, that for the first time in years, look like they could play.

So, in saying this, I would bring in a few of those talls, and just play them, play them, play them. If we are tanking for draft picks, then Macca should play as many kids as he can all year, this would make me half cope with a trying year fan wise. :thumbsu:

Skinner is just not gonna make it I think. Keeps flying for screamers, and just doesn't seem interested enough.

I'm prepared to give him a few games to see if he sinks or swims considering we have given Jarrad Grant numerous games and he continually sinks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JJ Talia/Redpath Addison
Shaggy Markovic Murphy
Cross Boyd Cooney
Dalhaus Jones Higgins
Grant T.Hill Gia

Minson Griffen Picken

Cordy, Libba, DJ | Sherman

OUT: Lake, Smith, Wood, Roughead
IN: JJ, Talia/Redpath, Sherman, Hill

On warning: Cross, Gia, Higgins

Suggesting Redpath, who hasn't played backline ever, to get elevated off the rookie list to play Full Back?

Get. A. Clue.

Shame too, I actually respect you as a poster.

It's more to the fact to try another kid to test flexibility, I think Cordy will more then likely play out of defence, but I completely forgot Redpath was still on the rookie list so there goes that theory. Talia gets a debut for me.

After last night's debacle, suggesting Ins and Outs has become too difficult for me.
However, I do like the continuing development of Johanisson, Hill and Campbell at Willi and hope that all get an opportunity sooner rather than later.
As for Zeph Skinner's name coming up, he looks light years away from promotion and just doesn't seem to understand the game.

It's more to the fact to try another kid to test flexibility, I think Cordy will more then likely play out of defence, but I completely forgot Redpath was still on the rookie list so there goes that theory. Talia gets a debut for me.

Talia would only add to our turnovers. Like the kid and is very competitive at VFL level but disposal is not up to as yet. Austin or Panos would be the better bet.

Out for not just Melbourne but the rest of the year: HIGGINS
Out for Melbourne game: Grant, Higgins-goes without saying, Cordy, Hargreaves and Lake, albeit nifty punch!
Just about out for Melbourne game: Roughead

In: Campbell- a big bloke who can mark, get hit outs and can kick over a jam tin. Redpath cos he looks good, which is more than half of the blokes we currently have, Wallace cos he is due for another game before he gets dropped again to Williamstown, Pearce cos he is a tough nut, Sherman another tough nut.

Basically we need players who are prepared to go over the ball and be prepared to get hurt, prepared to try things like kick goals, play positive possession football, the basics of the game, which for 3/4 were sadly lacking.

No point blaming Macca, Chris Scott would not have been able to win a game for these blokes last night, blame the hierachy that put him in what at the moment would be the worst coaching job in the AFL apart from Melbourne, GWC and the Gold Coast. Why couldn't the club appoint an assistant coach who has solid AFL experience, Bailey, Craig, Laidley would be better than the muppets we currently have. And what did Peter Dean do wrong????? Apart from having the best defence the club had in years.

Anyway, if the team isn't changed in some shaper or form, Melbourne will be cracking the ice next week!

My apologies Wallis, not Wallace, but if Wallace is available, he would make a good handy assistant coach to Macca, but while Smorgy is head of the club, won't happen, shame though, the bloke still loves the doggies.

Hargreaves

People who can't spell simple names should have their opinion voided.

Higgins was one of our best last night. Again, coaching 101, you don't drop your best 6 players from the week before.

Out (permanently): Gia
Gia’s on field “leadership, example and body language” when things get tough is a septic boil on the arse of the team which must be lanced and drained. If Gia moves on to coaching at the end of this year I hope it is as far away from this club as possible. Anyone in the real world who works as part of a team will know just how poisonous a lack of genuine leadership is. Young and inexperienced people in the team just lose respect for leaders who are found wanting and/or don’t put in and the results are disastrous. Even if the message itself has some merit, the messenger’s lack of credibility ensures that it won’t be taken seriously. It’s time to shoot the messenger.

Out (permanently): Gia
Gia’s on field “leadership, example and body language” when things get tough is a septic boil on the arse of the team which must be lanced and drained. If Gia moves on to coaching at the end of this year I hope it is as far away from this club as possible. Anyone in the real world who works as part of a team will know just how poisonous a lack of genuine leadership is. Young and inexperienced people in the team just lose respect for leaders who are found wanting and/or don’t put in and the results are disastrous. Even if the message itself has some merit, the messenger’s lack of credibility ensures that it won’t be taken seriously. It’s time to shoot the messenger.

Poor Gia. He's just misunderstood.

Oh dear. So much overreaction in this thread. Last night was deplorable but our opponent is... Melbourne. This isn't a game to axe our senior players. This is a game to field our best 22, hope for some consistency, try and get our season back on track. If we lose to the Dees we are in big trouble and wholesale 2014-focused changes may be needed but I think sanity and reason must prevail this week. Lake missing will leave a huge hole, Talia probably isn't ready and is Panos fit? Hargy keeps his spot to provide cover and Cordy will be needed in defense. The vacancies are in our forward line. Grant doesn't need to be dropped, we need to kick it to him more. And FFS, we need to get Jones out to CHF more. Which means a stronger body is needed inside forward 50. I am not convinced Roughead is this player yet, I'd prefer to see Tom Campbell play but I only base this on match reports from this board. There are no other options? Ideally one of Panos, Vez and Sherman needs to play to provide another option to goal.

In: Campbell, Vez/Sherman
Out: Lake, Roughead
Smith as sub, DJ to start

Higgins needs to stand up soon or go back to the VFL... Cross should be phased out by Wallis in the next month but I'd like Wallis to dominate the VFL for a few more weeks.

The case could also be made for dropping Clay Smith for Wallis, but I feel the side lacks run and quality disposal. Howard or Tutt should provide this but neither are possibly ready? Easton Wood could use a solid month in the VFL but I don't see who replaces him.

Yeah, I'm arguing for less changes than most. But this is mostly based on the quality of our opposition and the fact that they have chopped and changed a lot this season. The teams are fairly evenly balanced so there may be an advantage in taking a more settled team in. If you can't stand up against Melbourne, then piss off to the VFL.

Hugely concerned that we are one-paced and lack quality disposal. Recruiting Clay Smith has been popular, but with Liberatore and Wallis as well as Boyd and Smith... That is a very very unbalanced midfield...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back