Preview Round 5, 2017: Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles , 23 April 2017, 4.40pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sis is a natural forward, I watched him play as a junior at both Melton and Sunbury and he was always a forward/mid or mid/forward, he had a natural instinct for the goals and could absolutely dominate games as an attacking player. Why we would try and turn him into something he is 100% not is counter productive to his own natural instinct as a footballer, let him express himself in his natural state and you will see an elite footballer develop. I'm sure Clarko is now seeing that, last week was a perfect example of what he will produce as a forward.
Just curious tige19, where did Ryan Burton play as a junior?

Now, I'm not saying that Sicily will or could be a great defender, but I reckon it's great that Clarko is searching for alternatives. Generally the more talented juniors play mid/forward as juniors, doesn't mean they can't be defenders, and Burton is a prime example.

Now, I'm not saying that Sicily will or could be a great defender, but I reckon it's great that Clarko is searching for alternatives. Generally the more talented juniors play mid/forward as juniors, doesn't mean they can't be defenders, and Burton is a prime example.

Just because Burton can naturally adapt his game style doesn't mean that translates to Sic, I think Clarko done the right thing by seeing what Sic can do if asked to play the role as a defender and I think we have all found out. Sic isn't adequate playing a defensive role, it's not his mindset and I get the feeling he almost mentally disengages a little bit from that role. You look at Burton and Sic as individuals and they are vastly different, one is a western suburbs kid with a cheekiness and thuggery about him, a bit of a rascal, the other is a softly spoken and more reserved and maybe more coachable young kid. Footy clubs are made up of all sorts, Sic loves to attack, he loves to puff his chest and strut out on the ground and be a bit of a rat bag, asking him to completely change his mindset and go against his instincts as not only a footballer but as a person isn't going to help him develop into a star for us.

Sic looks our most dangerous option forward, lets use him there.

Apparently Burton played as a forward, and was compared to Jake Stringer in the way he played. Very good mark for his size and a goal kicker. I remember in an interview Burton said he wanted to be like Fyfe and then transition into the midfield.

I don't think Sicily playing in defence has ever been about him playing there for the rest of his career. The modern game requires forwards to apply defensive pressure and Clarkson likes to ensure that when the ball hits the ground his forwards have the tools to keep it in the forward arc.

I don't think Sicily playing in defence has ever been about him playing there for the rest of his career. The modern game requires forwards to apply defensive pressure and Clarkson likes to ensure that when the ball hits the ground his forwards have the tools to keep it in the forward arc.
Hmm not sure. I think we are yearning for an intercept marker.

None of the premiership "stars" have been dropped. So Clarko is saying we know you are better than you are playing and we are hoping you will do better this week. It's now been 4 weeks where about 10 blokes have played below par primarily due to not been inspired enough or trying hard enough. How many weeks do we let them bowl along while there's younger, hungrier guys in the wings, guys who won't turn up their toes when things get tough in the third? If none of them get dropped, they might think they are untouchable and can therefore cruise through the year.
I don't think that they would think that they can cruise through the year, because they've already been slammed by the Suns and Cats, and that no doubt hurts them. They'd be proud enough to want to improve. Not glide.

Right now, they're not a very positive bunch though. Confidence has take a hit and as a result so have our basic skills.
The players have lost their aura and their belief. Maybe they've lost their drive, or maybe they've lost their fight.

During the weeks meetings they'll have no doubt discussed this, and with every loss the honest questions and discussions will have gotten a little bit more intense.

Expectation that we find out spirit and lift has been there for two week now, and I don't think it will last another one without a response.

Either we come out tomorrow and fire a few shots as we did against the Crows or our players enter the review meetings on Monday with a very real understanding that the chances of finding thier own personal form are out the window.

I dislike the way he goes about his footy, it's grubbish behaviour that saw him suspended that helps form that view. He then goes onto his media platform with the same dribble about his actions and tries to articulate himself like a model citizen, it's a facade and I've disliked it for years.

Sammy on the other hand... where's that statue?
Opposition supporters seem to go the other way with this weirdly enough

Oh shit - that's US!!

This is why I mention the other players though. Is this learning opportunity for him getting in the way of other young defenders who should get a go? In other words, this might be bad timing

This is why I mention the other players though. Is this learning opportunity for him getting in the way of other young defenders who should get a go? In other words, this might be bad timing

FWIW I hope he's done his lessons now and can focus on playing forward, but I don't think it's prevented anyone else from spending time back there? Possibly Heatherley, but he's just returning from injury?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Box Hill smacking Coburg after 1 quarter.

QT1
Box Hill 11.3.69
Coburg 0.0.0

Goals

Fitzhatrick 3
Vickery 2
Miles 1
Lewis 1
Willsmore 1
N.Evans 1
Jones 1
Hams 1

Box Hill smacking Coburg after 1 quarter.

QT1
Box Hill 11.3.69
Coburg 0.0.0

Goals

Fitzhatrick 3
Vickery 2
Miles 1
Lewis 1
Willsmore 1
N.Evans 1
Jones 1
Hams 1

Holy shit, pies barely got past the burgs.

How's Jono going?

Just quickly on burton, yes your right doesn't always work that way just lucky he is a freak,
The kid is that good he should be played on ball I can see him ending up as a big bodied midfielder.

with sicily we could have had a extra 10-15 games in him as a forward if he was left there.

Give us some insight from your convos

He's a normal, self confident lad that has the arrogance/swagger of a elite player.
Funny cheekt kid. Elite at everything he did. Multi talented.
Watched his rehab closely.

In answer to his junior footy. Superb medium half forward. Very agile. Great hands. Kicked bags for SA, SHC and the Phantoms.
A very vocal and demanding onfield leader.

Just because Burton can naturally adapt his game style doesn't mean that translates to Sic, I think Clarko done the right thing by seeing what Sic can do if asked to play the role as a defender and I think we have all found out. Sic isn't adequate playing a defensive role, it's not his mindset and I get the feeling he almost mentally disengages a little bit from that role. You look at Burton and Sic as individuals and they are vastly different, one is a western suburbs kid with a cheekiness and thuggery about him, a bit of a rascal, the other is a softly spoken and more reserved and maybe more coachable young kid. Footy clubs are made up of all sorts, Sic loves to attack, he loves to puff his chest and strut out on the ground and be a bit of a rat bag, asking him to completely change his mindset and go against his instincts as not only a footballer but as a person isn't going to help him develop into a star for us.

Sic looks our most dangerous option forward, lets use him there.
Sounds like you were describing Dermie there for a minute Tige; Sic is starting to remind me of him a little when Dermie was in his early days where he loved to strut around like a prize rooster.

Sounds like you were describing Dermie there for a minute Tige; Sic is starting to remind me of him a little when Dermie was in his early days where he loved to strut around like a prize rooster.

Same size and look aren't they? Even same strut and cheekiness, I loved Derm and I love the way Sic does his thing to. Would be great for him to take the 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back