Autopsy Round 5, 2023: Collingwood v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

We were outplayed for 80% of that match, they wasted alot of great chances. Result was flattering. It seemed like we were on the verge of some real nice play but seemed we were overthinking it and doing a bit too much, could be because of the pressure from the Pies. Weird game to watch.

Pies got pinged like 3 times to the point where players stopped but the umpires called play on then they pinged Clark for the most questionable of the lot. So annoying

I don’t even think it was that silly, big forward shoves a big backman after some back and forth all game. He’s just unlucky it’s slipped high and murphy has a touch of the paddy mccartins.

He’s gonna get some time off cause that’s footy now but the media seriously needs its clickbait to survive.

Completely agree with the sentiment though and for the first time in a long time I actually back the club to be supporting him properly.

Pisses me off the way that the media jump on an incident like this and basically pressure the MRP or the tribunal into giving a player x number of weeks.

They shouldn't be able to influence the outcomes of incidents but you know they do and the media pick and choose which clubs or players they target.

Dangerfield stuck his thumb into Ginbey's eye yesterday which looked like it may have been deliberate but it probably won't get looked at since he's one of the media darlings and you have Geelong supporting flogs in the media like Gerard Whateley who will turn a blind eye to it due to the club he plays for.

Pisses me off the way that the media jump on an incident like this and basically pressure the MRP or the tribunal into giving a player x number of weeks.

They shouldn't be able to influence the outcomes of incidents but you know they do and the media pick and choose which clubs or players they target.

Dangerfield stuck his thumb into Ginbey's eye yesterday which looked like it may have been deliberate but it probably won't get looked at since he's one of the media darlings and you have Geelong supporting flogs in the media like Gerard Whateley who will turn a blind eye to it due to the club he plays for.
Honestly the reaction to this one seems truly bizarre, i get that Murphy was concussed and that hot button with the lawsuits on concussion etc etc. But its a bit of push and shove and somehow McKay elbowing a kid in the head and Ballard doing the same were almost laughed at.

We were outplayed for 80% of that match, they wasted alot of great chances. Result was flattering. It seemed like we were on the verge of some real nice play but seemed we were overthinking it and doing a bit too much, could be because of the pressure from the Pies. Weird game to watch.

Pies got pinged like 3 times to the point where players stopped but the umpires called play on then they pinged Clark for the most questionable of the lot. So annoying
Wasn't flattering at all. If Pies missed some easy shots, we missed 5 in a row just before we ran over them.
They were better than us, sure, they deserved the win, yes.
But flattered us? Hardly. Pies think they have done enough, feel like having a rest for the last eight minutes, Saints don't rest, play each game to the last second, ran over them as we are easily the fittest team in the league.
We are 26 points down and Collingwood give us a glimpse, we don't go into our shell and nearly pinch a draw.
Nothing flattering about their win. They kicked 10 goals, you keep at team to that and you always have a chance like we did yesterday.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wasn't flattering at all. If Pies missed some easy shots, we missed 5 in a row just before we ran over them.
They were better than us, sure, they deserved the win, yes.
But flattered us? Hardly. Pies think they have done enough, feel like having a rest for the last eight minutes, Saints don't rest, play each game to the last second, ran over them as we are easily the fittest team in the league.
We are 26 points down and Collingwood give us a glimpse, we don't go into our shell and nearly pinch a draw.
Nothing flattering about their win. They kicked 10 goals, you keep at team to that and you always have a chance like we did yesterday.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think they were better than a one goal win but not so much so that its worth mentioning

Honestly the reaction to this one seems truly bizarre, i get that Murphy was concussed and that hot button with the lawsuits on concussion etc etc. But its a bit of push and shove and somehow McKay elbowing a kid in the head and Ballard doing the same were almost laughed at.

It also doesn't help that this was the last game of the round and one which all the footy media pundits would have been watching, if this incident happened in the Hawthorn v GWS game at Norwood Oval it wouldn't be getting this level of attention or scrutiny.

Ross is a wiley old fox.

He's just laying the groundwork subterfuge for when the real stuff happens in september.

I reckon it's a classic misdirection- he will be privately chuffed at how a guy like daicos can have so much of the ball against our system, yet not be a massive influence on the outcome.

It validated for ross that we don't need to make 'special case' fundamental changes to our system (eg have someone play as a tagger).

Ross is way too smart to be giving away anything of genuine tactical value in pressers.

Forgot to ad- do NOT underestimate what Ross is doing in shining a massive spotlight on daicos.

Ross knows he's still a kid.
Piling the pressure of expectation and praise onto a kid is another classic ross move.

Remember when he waxed lyrical years ago about how daisy thomas was 'the best player in the game'??!!

Ross knows that if we play them again this year- the media will be asking him about nothing more than daicos (after his comments yrsterday).

That will give ross what he will want in september- an excuse to heap more media hype and pressure on their gun kid.

Every question ross gets asked about daicos in september- is one less one about max king etc.

Has anyone else had a whinge about the idiocy of the AFL to have the Hawks v GWS game as the 7 broadcast game?

Cause that was stupid.

I guess they didn't predict that St Kilda v Collingwood would be such a big game but even so the Hawks v GWS game was never going to be big either.

It also annoys me how the games usually overlap on Sunday so you have to choose between watching different games that are on at the same time.

They had games fixtured across 4 days for the Gather Round so there was no need to have games on at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I swear ive read every Collingwood man and his dog referencing John Greening aand July 8, 1972?

Ive never heard of this (had to google it) but i cant see how its remotely relevant to Caminiti and Murphy? Like an inicident from 50 years ago means the Saints still head hunt now?

I suppose that any incident with a Geelong player must have reference to Milburn on Silvagni?

I swear ive read every Collingwood man and his dog referencing John Greening aand July 8, 1972?

Ive never heard of this (had to google it) but i cant see how its remotely relevant to Caminiti and Murphy? Like an inicident from 50 years ago means the Saints still head hunt now?

I suppose that any incident with a Geelong player must have reference to Milburn on Silvagni?

On Greening, did you find an account where someone said they saw what happened?

I guess they didn't predict that St Kilda v Collingwood would be such a big game but even so the Hawks v GWS game was never going to be big either.

It also annoys me how the games usually overlap on Sunday so you have to choose between watching different games that are on at the same time.
But they didnt have to.

3 games on that day

WCE v Geelong
GWS v Hawks
Saints v Pies

only 1 has two vic based teams, only 1 has the biggest (or second biggest club in footy) and only one had any real shot at being interesting (we all knew West Coast and Hawks were gonna be trash well before the TV schedule and Fixture were finalised).

I get they couldnt change it once we knew it would be a blockbuster but thats not really the point.

Surprised you've never heard of it.
It's pretty famous and every time we play the Filth it gets brought up.

On Greening, did you find an account where someone said they saw what happened?
Nope, thew closest i could find was some Pies archive thing that said this.

A sickening off-the-ball incident involving St Kilda’s Jim O’Dea left him unconscious on the ground; with trainers frantically trying to tend to him but unable to do much; his worried teammates white-faced with uncertainly and anger.

Like, it sounds horrible and im sure it was but how its relevant to Caminiti?

Surprised you've never heard of it.
It's pretty famous and every time we play the Filth it gets brought up.
Im 35 and have followed footy pretty closely most of my life from about 10.

Genuinely never heard of it.

there doesn't seem to be an unisputed account of the incident

Nope, thew closest i could find was some Pies archive thing that said this.

A sickening off-the-ball incident involving St Kilda’s Jim O’Dea left him unconscious on the ground; with trainers frantically trying to tend to him but unable to do much; his worried teammates white-faced with uncertainly and anger.

I've only ever read accounts of the result of the incident, which are undisputed. I've never read an account which reads "I saw the whole thing, O'Dea did <action> and Greening fell to the ground". Only ones like "I saw something out of the corner of my eye, turned, and saw Greening fall to the ground".

There is a special breed of Collingwood supporter who believe our lack of success since 1972 is some sort of divine intervention for that incident. This was especially prevalent around 2010. It is, of course, utter shash.

One of the few things I wrote for this site in a columnist role that survives from 2012 is on this very topic:

Because pies supporters are invested in being angry at us rather than going to their player "why did you do this when we were comfortably winning? Need you for structure for the team"

It's easier to be outraged rather than admitting that "yeah crap tough man act by Murphy was not needed and yeah Caminiti had right of reply and got unlucky with how he hit Murphy"

You will find that when Collingwood fans make themselves look stupid in front of Saints fans, they often roll out the "Greening" line as some sort of comeback. It's like the old "your mumma's so fat" thing in primary school.

I'm only 38 and was practically born into local footy, looked up most every Saints thing and this was core to Pies being bastards along with the racist undertones into outright "I'm white and you're beneath me" mentality they permeated. If it wasn't the straight slander to anyone of colour, and my nonna with heavy Italian would tell you all about wog culture from WW2 refugees to here and that derision especially so when it found out she married the enemy in an Austrian by birth. Anywho, O'Dea felling Greening was folklore then and is folklore now, if you thought Baker on Farmer was harsh, Greening would have earned O'Dea the death penalty from injury alone.

They actually went to the cops, then courts, then we got escalated to the supreme court such was the travesty that O'Dea felled Greening and put him in a hospital. It was a right circus and you hold interest much akin to a car crash you travel slowly by to gawk at. For it was not a bump, it was not a strike, it was labelled assault on a footy field by a man that was a copper by trade.

Pure theatre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 5, 2023: Collingwood v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back