HB: Adam Treloar, Chad Cornes, Tomas Bugg
C: Taylor Adams, James McDonald, Tom Scully
HF: Stephen Coniglio, Jeremy Cameron, Jacob Townsend
F: Sam Reid, Israel Folau, Curtly Hampton
Foll: Jonathan Giles, Callan Ward, Dylan Shiel
I/C: Shaun Edwards, Adam Tomlinson, Toby Greene, Devon Smith
Emg: Josh Bruce, Nathan Wilson, Dom Tyson
In: Jeremy Cameron, Stephen Coniglio, Toby Greene, Taylor Adams, Sam Reid
Out: Anthony Miles, Rhys Palmer (Injured), Dean Brogan (Injured), Tim Mohr (Injured), Adam Kennedy
New: Taylor Adams (), Sam Reid (Western Bulldogs)

We will be playing our first home away from home game at Manuka Oval against the dogs and is another great opportunity for the team to show improvement, and to follow up on our competitive effort against the Crows. And as a sidenote the teams will be playing for the Prime Minister's Cup.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/tea...nts-and-bulldogs/story-fn7ec9f5-1226335654809

SHEEDY FORECASTS CHANGES

GREATER Western Sydney GIANTS coach Kevin Sheedy has forecast up to five changes to the side that recorded a competitive 46-point loss to Adelaide on Saturday.

The defeat was by far the Giants' best performance of the season, but the nature of their squad will force Sheedy's hand at the selection table.

The four-time premiership coach suggested he would keep rotating young players through the squad in an effort to make sure they all gained experience and remained fresh.

"We'll probably make about five changes this week. Four or five," Sheedy said on Monday.

"We'll bring some boys in maybe for their first game and we'll also bring back a couple who were rested this week."

The article mentions that Cameron will return this week, while Sheedy says O'hAilpin will probably have another run with UWS and might come in for the Carlton game. Also says Brogan, Cornes, etc. will need to be rested at some point and (as we know) wont play all game this season.

So Cameron to come in, plus you'd think Coniglio if he's good to go. If they're going with "four or five changes" I guess we could see a couple picked from the likes of Bruce, Reid, Tyson, Adams.

Well Josh Bruce is a Canberra boy and been listed among the best at NEAFL level the last couple of weeks so that's the obvious story line for the week. "Canberra boy makes AFL debut in Canberra". You'd think Cameron & Coniglio would be obvious ins and Wilson has kicked a bag up forward. Not sure of the outs because everyone has improved their game, which is all you can ask for, and therefore would be stiff to miss.

I think Cornes will be having a Match Review Panel Enabled Rotation ...

From the AFL MRP:
Chad had two incidents reviewed:

1st incident:
Chad Cornes, GWS Giants, has been charged with a second offence for wrestling Matthew Jaensch, Adelaide Crows, during the second quarter of the round Four match between the GWS Giants and the Adelaide Crows, played at AAMI Stadium on Saturday April 21, 2012.

In summary, he can accept an $1800 sanction with an early plea.

A second offence for wrestling is a $2400 sanction. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to an $1800 sanction.

2nd incident:
Contact between the GWS Giants' Chad Cornes and the Adelaide Crows' Patrick Dangerfield from the second quarter of Saturday's match was assessed. Dangerfield picks up a loose ball and turns to his left side. Cornes is coming towards the Adelaide player with his arms out ready to tackle and high contact is made. It was the view of the panel that Dangerfield should have received a free kick for high contact, if it was seen on the day, but that Cornes was attempting to tackle and had no realistic alternative in the circumstances. No further action was taken.

Bruce, Coniglio and Cameron as ins would be a good start..

Not quite sure who to be dropped to make way for them - before the Adelaide game I thought it could be a good time to give Folau a spell in the NEAFL, but after his improved performance last week I want to keep him in..

Can't wait to see the guys in their ACT Tops when they come out!

I cant imagine you would want to be resting your senior brigade this week.

This game would have to register slightly on the potential upset scale. With that in mind you want as many senior players playing as was possible and rotated later.

This is the first game where we are in with a decided chance of victory from the get-go. The Bulldogs are having the season from Hell, their win against an even more disappointing team notwithstanding. Our squad is beginning to build up some momentum, and this, together with Round 7, has to be marked in our schedule as distinctly winnable.

Canberra could be the deciding factor. Manuka will be packed - especially if the weather is appealing - and the eye assaulting orange will be totally dominant visually. Almost all neutrals present will jump on any chance to cheer the underdog home, so we will have a good loud crowd behind us should we develop any on field momentum. We will, hopefully, be given the chance to get incredibly loud & proud this Saturday!

I'm predicting a Giants win, a massive surge in Canberra memberships, the merchandise selling out in several lines, and one hell of a celebration at the members - only meet & greet at the Eastlakes Footy Club (across the road from Manuka Oval) after the game.

This could well be a significant day in our history, and I'll certainly be there (in the cheer squad).

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Hey fellow Giants members. Just a quick question that may sound stupid. Do you just swipe your membership card at the gate for entry? Or is there something else I need to do. I don't want to rock up on the day with my little brother and find out I have been an idiot and not requested tickets or something.

Hey fellow Giants members. Just a quick question that may sound stupid. Do you just swipe your membership card at the gate for entry? Or is there something else I need to do. I don't want to rock up on the day with my little brother and find out I have been an idiot and not requested tickets or something.
Yep, you just scan it as you do a normal ticket (ANZ had scanning gates, Blacktown had handheld scanners).

Cheers mate. Looking forward to the first big game for the giants in Canberra. My little brothers first AFL game so he is pumped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the first game where we are in with a decided chance of victory from the get-go. The Bulldogs are having the season from Hell, their win against an even more disappointing team notwithstanding. Our squad is beginning to build up some momentum, and this, together with Round 7, has to be marked in our schedule as distinctly winnable.

Canberra could be the deciding factor. Manuka will be packed - especially if the weather is appealing - and the eye assaulting orange will be totally dominant visually. Almost all neutrals present will jump on any chance to cheer the underdog home, so we will have a good loud crowd behind us should we develop any on field momentum. We will, hopefully, be given the chance to get incredibly loud & proud this Saturday!

I'm predicting a Giants win, a massive surge in Canberra memberships, the merchandise selling out in several lines, and one hell of a celebration at the members - only meet & greet at the Eastlakes Footy Club (across the road from Manuka Oval) after the game.

This could well be a significant day in our history, and I'll certainly be there (in the cheer squad).

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Couldn't agree more. I'm gonna tip the Giants this week. I'll be sitting in the front row for all 3 of the Canberra games cheering my head off.

All 3 games in Canberra are against ordinary sides: Bulldogs, Gold Coast (in another fortnight) and Melbourne (in August). It'd be great if we managed to 3-0 these games and turn Manuka into a bit of a fortress!

Anyone else been trying to figure out the "four or five" changes Sheedy was heralding this week. I'm guessing Brogan rested, along with Townsend, Tomlinson and maybe Miles dropped back out. Any other thoughts?

I hope Miles stays in, loves getting his head over the footy. I'd agree with Tomlinson and Townsend taking a week, perhaps Brogan when O'hAilpin's back (possibly the following week)? I would've said Hampton to go back and kick a few but he did that in Adelaide... So yeah, I don't know who to suggest for a rotation haha

Sheedy did say in the interview when he suggested there could be 4-5 changes that Brogan and Cornes wouldn't play every game and also said Andrew Phillips was pushing for a spot. So based on that one of the changes might be to rest Brogan and bring in Phillips. Also wouldn't be surprised if Reid gets a run against his old club.

I'll be there with the cheer squad (& obviously at the post game function at Eastlakes Footy Club), so it would be brilliant to catch up with some of the regular posters on this site during the day.

I'm totally pumped about this one!

Sheedy did say in the interview when he suggested there could be 4-5 changes that Brogan and Cornes wouldn't play every game and also said Andrew Phillips was pushing for a spot. So based on that one of the changes might be to rest Brogan and bring in Phillips. Also wouldn't be surprised if Reid gets a run against his old club.

Is Andrew Phillips eligible to play, as I thought he was on the rookie list.

Also I was wondering if Sam Darley was a chance to gain selection in the seniors.:confused:

Is Andrew Phillips eligible to play, as I thought he was on the rookie list.

Also I was wondering if Sam Darley was a chance to gain selection in the seniors.:confused:

Because we have an extended list which we didn't completely fill we have the freedom of starting rookies. On Darley it seems it will be a while before he gets a chance, but we might see him later in the year.

On another note Ward is talking things up:

''It is [a big chance to win] but I don't think we can really think about that too much. I've been saying all year if we can keep improving on last week's performance [that's all we need to do] and I think so far this year we've done that every week.
''This week's probably the best chance we get to have our first win as a footy club.''

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...o-beat-dogs-20120425-1xltp.html#ixzz1t3eRnMsg

WE must remember to read everything Sheeds says with caution.
He is the master trickster, and for all we know, a 4-5 player rotation may be a complete furphy of the Irish kind.
Make no mistake, that was for the 'Dogs to lap up.
He and Williams will put on their strongest team to get that win, in Rds 5 & 7.
They've stuck to a solid core of players for first four rounds, why change when a possible win is likely +.
Plenty of players are in good form from UWS squad, but will get their chance in firsts when the *injuries and *soreness mount.
+ Cameron and Coniglio back in this week. Any other changes are only forced by *

Couldn't agree more. I'm gonna tip the Giants this week. I'll be sitting in the front row for all 3 of the Canberra games cheering my head off.

All 3 games in Canberra are against ordinary sides: Bulldogs, Gold Coast (in another fortnight) and Melbourne (in August). It'd be great if we managed to 3-0 these games and turn Manuka into a bit of a fortress!

Like the way your thinking with this TT. It will really boost the Canberra membership, plus fill to capacity - making an upgrade possible at Manuka. A bursting Canberra base can only have a flow-on effect at Skoda stadium, which given the Blacktown crowd of 7k, may prove difficult to fill at 30k in the first few years.

The Canberra strategy is now becoming clear, and may very well be a saving grace for GWS, so Manuka 'SOLD OUT' we should see. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back