Autopsy Round 5 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

G.Horlin Smith - 26 disposals, 14 contested, 8 tackles, 6 clearances, 2 goals. 3rd Best player for Geelong according to AFL player ratings.

Late inclusion for Hawkins.

Spud that tore us apart.

Boo all you like but it doesn't take away the fact Selwood is/has been an extraordinary good/clever footballer.
Yeah he can be dirty and crafty but give me more like him at Port please.

Lets be honest, in an alternate universe where Port drafted Selwood instead of Boak, he would have been umpired out of the game by now.

We were totally outplayed and out coached last night. Our skills were horrible, probably due to Geelongs defence last night. Only a few boys could hold there heads high with there heads held high. Was good to see Thomas throw his body around too, even if it was a little too reckless.

When the gameplan is executed at a fast pace, it works. When players are hesitant, when the switching of play is too slow such that the opposition is able to cover both the fat side and the corridor (the 'runway') before the ball gets to that side, you know there are issues in terms of the ball movement. How many players apart from Bonner, Robbie Gray and Polec actually tried to take the game on last night?

What concerns me most is that we were so quick last night to revert back to 2017 gameplan of bombing it in long inside 50 on top of players' heads. And that all starts because of incredibly slow ball movement coming out of the backline. At times we saw the old Primus triple-switch because we couldn't get the ball into the corridor. Why our players weren't willing to run and to take the game on with our legs instead, I'm not quite sure.

Last night when we were in control of the game, and make no mistake about it, we had long periods of play in which we controlled, but we did not capitalise. Geelong on the other hand made us pay almost every single time.

They need to work things out soon because so many players are devoid of confidence right now. A few more bad games and the season will be a write off.

G.Horlin Smith - 26 disposals, 14 contested, 8 tackles, 6 clearances, 2 goals. 3rd Best player for Geelong according to AFL player ratings.

Late inclusion for Hawkins.

Spud that tore us apart.

If someone.like him or one of Geelong' s unheralded defenders had won the Badcoe Medal it would have been well received and awarded in the intended spirit.

Now it's just another trinket for already over decorated marquee players.

I didn't boo Selwood but I thought it was the wrong decision.

The only funny highlight of the day was as we were heading to the footbridge this young girl was taking selfies of her cleavage and walked straight into a bollard .
Haha. Catching up on the thread this morning and one of the only enjoyable posts.

Still where are the pictures? :D

The night was a complete disaster but I noted three incidents that “amused” me.
First was the non free kick paid to us for the Dangerfield holding the ball decision on the eastern wing 3rd quarter. Obviously the umpire invoked the sub section of that rule that deals with the likes of Dangerfield. We now know it exists.
Then the two non goals for us in the last quarter. The ability of stuffing up those two golden opportunities to score majors is down to fact that we have forwards who don’t want to accept ownership of kicking goals. They rather pass it off to someone in a worse position. When you are in a pretty good position kick the bloody ball.
Those two incidents will certainly make the “funniest afl stuff ups of 2018” video.

**** it's easy to coach against Ken, especially at Adelaide oval.

Clog up the middle, clog up defence, leave your forward half wide and have a max of 4 or 5 forwards.

Clog up the middle because the mids and wingers lack the pills to kick it through there to even start to make the opposition question their zone, and the mids cant hit up leads on the wings to stretch the opposition to open up the middle.

Ken the ground is skinny, you have to take the middle of the ground through handballs and kicks to advantage, playing boundary football is literally cancer.

Clog up defence because the forwards lack the understanding that you can lead up at the ball carrier, so everyone stands flat footed, having all our dead shit mids and half forwards taking an eternity to even deliver the ball inside 50 the allowing all 12 geelong defenders to get to the drop of the ball against 1 of our players. Also they know that our mids love kicking it to the boundary because it means they don't want to have to run defensively if the kick is bad.

Leave your forward line open when you play Port, they only have 1 defender capable of winning a 1 on 1 contest, but he's 188cm and relies heavily on 3rd man up, but if all of the forwards have 40-50 metres separating each other it defeats that purpose, especially when the opposition breaks past half way and our mids just go "meh, we'll go set up for the centre bounce again".

How you know we didn't give a **** about defending, none of our players ran hard defensively.
Port v Essendon - 0km/h average speed difference in defence.
Port v Geelong. -.9 km/h average speed difference in defence. Geelong also had 4 of the top 5 players in distance covered. A 24 gamer, a 35 gamer, and a 5th gamer ran harder and further than our 22 idiots.

The best part, we're supposed to be fit.
Fremantle ran further, Sydney ran further, Brisbane ran further, Essendon ran further, Geelong ran further.

So the first two make sense because you have to run further chasing opposition players when behind.

Brisbane lead for large chunks of the game so it's negligible.

But getting out ran by Essendon and Geelong? Are you ****ing kidding me, you're chasing tail all day and you're still getting done in effort.

**** off.

Drop all the campaigners not pulling their weight, all of them, even if one of them is the captain or a dual all australian. They don't give two shits. There are blokes in the SANFL crying out for an opportunity.

Why the **** not try Atley, Barry, Trengove, Johnson, Snelling, Lienert, Irra? I'm sure they will be more willing and desperate than the rest of the players immune from criticism from the coaches.

When the gameplan is executed at a fast pace, it works. When players are hesitant, when the switching of play is too slow such that the opposition is able to cover both the fat side and the corridor (the 'runway') before the ball gets to that side, you know there are issues in terms of the ball movement. How many players apart from Bonner, Robbie Gray and Polec actually tried to take the game on last night?

What concerns me most is that we were so quick last night to revert back to 2017 gameplan of bombing it in long inside 50 on top of players' heads. And that all starts because of incredibly slow ball movement coming out of the backline. At times we saw the old Primus triple-switch because we couldn't get the ball into the corridor. Why our players weren't willing to run and to take the game on with our legs instead, I'm not quite sure.

Last night when we were in control of the game, and make no mistake about it, we had long periods of play in which we controlled, but we did not capitalise. Geelong on the other hand made us pay almost every single time.

They need to work things out soon because so many players are devoid of confidence right now. A few more bad games and the season will be a write off.

This is why Clurey and Houston need to go and we need to bring in Pittard.

They are just too slow to execute. Jasper on the other hand actually understands that we need to move the ball fast from half back and it's not about retaining possession for retaining possession's sake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost count of the number of times he called Geelong a 'quality team"
delusion, they are garbage, they are utter garbage, the coaches and players fear the jumper which makes them fear the players. Geelong are no better than Carlton right now, but we make them look like they've winning flags every year for 25 years.

Geelong are actually good, in the same way that Adelaide are good.

It's the system that makes the players better than they actually are.

delusion, they are garbage, they are utter garbage, the coaches and players fear the jumper which makes them fear the players. Geelong are no better than Carlton right now, but we make them look like they've winning flags every year for 25 years.
And gee they had a young team on the park..led by Dangerwood of course.
It's obvious we have no Dangerwood :(
Media will be rightly brutal this week..The Loss, Lindsay, SPP.

Geelong are actually good, in the same way that Adelaide are good.

It's the system that makes the players better than they actually are.
So, on the flip side, we must have a system that make our players worse than they actually are?
What the hell is the point of that?

Lost count of the number of times he called Geelong a 'quality team"

Nicks gives me the shits. He should be a public servant he is so full of meaningless jargon. Uses 5000 words to tell you nothing.

They are just too slow to execute. Jasper on the other hand actually understands that we need to move the ball fast from half back and it's not about retaining possession for retaining possession's sake.
Unfortunately Clurey has always been clueless on moving the ball quickly. Its not in his dna. Until the last few weeks though he has done his defensive job well.

My favourite part is that none of our players are truly good kicks, yet we play a kicking game.

**** it, just go to the Geelong handball happy gameplan of the late 2000s or the Richmond/Western Bulldogs overload the midfield and just get the ball to advantage at all costs through knock ons and chaos disposals that is difficult to zone against. Port Adelaide is pathetically easy to play against because you just need to wait until one of our mids laces our an opposition player 30 metres on his own.

Geelong are what Jack Dyer would have called a good ordinary team. But we make them look like world beating premiership favourites. Trouble is we make a few teams look that good. They can't all win it.

Ironic thing is one team that we didn't make look royally good last year actually won the flag. Interpret Port form at your peril.

I agree 100%. I'm an advocate of dropping Houston for Pittard going into next week's game, but I'm not sure whether we can drop Clurey next week. Who do we replace him with? Once Ryder is back, you keep Hombsch down back, move Howard there with him and drop Clurey, but right now I don't think it is so cut and dry.

Nicks is Ken 2.0

Has been here since 2011. Needs to get out and explore the world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 5 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back