Autopsy Round 5 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Ken is in the line of fire, but our once fabled defence has fallen to pieces in recent weeks. Bassett is a negative coach. We weren’t playing negative football in 2013-14. Who really is to blame for the horrible game plan?

I know Ken is in the line of fire, but our once fabled defence has fallen to pieces in recent weeks. Bassett is a negative coach. We weren’t playing negative football in 2013-14. Who really is to blame for the horrible game plan?
Our games are horrible to watch too. Last time I watched a whole replay was years ago I reckon.

We don’t seem to coach positioning around contests (either at all, or, poorly). Whether it’s everyone flying for the spoil/mark

The amount of times we had all of Dixon, Neade, Thomas and sometimes Wingard fly for the same mark, leaving noone down had me throwing a tantrum in the stands. Where is the common sense?

I agree 100%. I'm an advocate of dropping Houston for Pittard going into next week's game, but I'm not sure whether we can drop Clurey next week. Who do we replace him with? Once Ryder is back, you keep Hombsch down back, move Howard there with him and drop Clurey, but right now I don't think it is so cut and dry.

Remember when Hinkley used to talk about how he’d cop Pittard’s bad bits because he took the game on and his good bits outweighed the bad? That was Hinkley’s mantra before Bassett arrived.

Just away from the actual game for a moment, how does the SMA crunch it’s numbers and come up with 45,000 last night? Where would another 8,000 people have fit? If the crows could post 45,000 for last weeks Collingwood game then there was a minimum of 48,000 there last night.
Even the nose bleeds were pretty full. Told my daughter 50k here tonight. Saw the "official" number and went "yeah right".
While i'm in a grump the large teal PAFC for the compromised GDV gave me the tom ****.
When I was young I swore I wouldn't grow up to be a grumpy old man and then ...

Geelong are what Jack Dyer would have called a good ordinary team. But we make them look like world beating premiership favourites. Trouble is we make a few teams look that good. They can't all win it.

Ironic thing is one team that we didn't make look royally good last year actually won the flag. Interpret Port form at your peril.
Didn't we lose an unlosable game vs Richmond at AO last season?

Is Lade our forwards coach? If so, I'm starting to think he has NFI, same as Nicks.
We consistently get coaches from losing clubs.
I saw him speak at the convention and I wasn't impressed at all.

Also, gets kicked out of Richmond and nekminit they win a flag. Make of that what you wish.

I can't wait for this bullshit line to keep getting trotted out

"We're 3-0 it's not going badly"
"We're 3-1 it's not going badly"
"We're 3-2 it's not going badly"
"We're 3-3 it's not going badly"
"We're 3-4 it's not going badly"

Clueless, 3-0 was disastrous because we were never playing that well.

I just want effort. That’s all

You can't question the players effort last night. I thought they all put in everything they had for 3 1/2 quarters. The execution was miles off though. Reminded me of the first West Coast game from last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw him speak at the convention and I wasn't impressed at all.

Also, gets kicked out of Richmond and nekminit they win a flag. Make of that what you wish.
So much for he and Bassett having supposedly good footy brains then.
I know people were saying our game plan had been worked out but maybe Ken should have stuck to his 2013 2014 style .

Boak is embarrassing himself out there. He’ll retire and be remembered as the top 10 draft pick who had 2 good years over his entire career.
It was cruel offering him twice the dosh and captaincy back in 2012. You should have let him come home. Boak is a great bloke, but not a leader. He'd be a gun playing under Selwood.

In all honesty, Ollie should take over captaincy at the end of this year. His on-field leadership leaves Boak's for dead. And, Ollie is simply a better player to boot.

It was cruel offering him twice the dosh and captaincy back in 2012. You should have let him come home. Boak is a great bloke, but not a leader. He'd be a gun playing under Selwood.

In all honesty, Ollie should take over captaincy at the end of this year. His on-field leadership leaves Boak's for dead. And, Ollie is simply a better player to boot.
you can't have all the good players mate.

Boak too nice?

Just away from the actual game for a moment, how does the SMA crunch it’s numbers and come up with 45,000 last night? Where would another 8,000 people have fit? If the crows could post 45,000 for last weeks Collingwood game then there was a minimum of 48,000 there last night.

Heaps of seats in the top tier of the Eastern stand, heaps of spots on the hill, heaps in the Western stand. I was expecting 43-44k come up.

The amount of times we had all of Dixon, Neade, Thomas and sometimes Wingard fly for the same mark, leaving noone down had me throwing a tantrum in the stands. Where is the common sense?

Both our forwards and backs play dumb football, they lack positional awareness and don't guard space or the goalfront.

It happened at the other end a few times as Geelong had a spare man out the back to receive the loose ball off the crashed pack and score.

Watch our game vs West Coast last year, LeCras had a feast waiting for the loose ball as every one of defenders play marks up.

Boak and Selwood are likely to have had very similar careers as captains. 0 flags, 0 grand finals, losses in Prelim finals, Semi finals and elimination finals.

But yeah nah, he'd be better under Selwood.

you can't have all the good players mate.
I beg to differ! We can always try...

Your list is actually one of the best in the comp. With Rocky and SPP back, your midfield is stacked with guns. I have high expectations for Port. The first three rounds were what I'd expect to see consistently.

The night was a complete disaster but I noted three incidents that “amused” me.
First was the non free kick paid to us for the Dangerfield holding the ball decision on the eastern wing 3rd quarter. Obviously the umpire invoked the sub section of that rule that deals with the likes of Dangerfield. We now know it exists.

I could be wrong, but i'm certain that the umpire gave Dangerfield a free kick there for over the shoulder, which is why we didnt win the HTB free kick

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 5 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back