Preview Round 6 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Friday 28th April, 7.50pm, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Although good players neither are of the caliber to have the impact you are claiming. Roughead would be lucky to be in the top dozen rucks in the comp and lack of ruck dominance is no different to last year. Dickson kicked less than a couple of goals a game last season at 64% not sure that will have much of an affect on your scoring accuracy (prob evens itself out with Cloke missing).

If the dogs lose they have no excuses and neither do the Giants.

Our tacking is down cause coniglio is out, our captain and no 1 key defender is out.... excuses can be made for struggling in any key indicator. I'm sure Bev would rather play us without coniglio, Whitfield, Deledio and Griff rolling through the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deledio probably. Griffen?.. depends who he replaces. Would be surprised if either spent much time midfield for you. Coniglio, Whitfield and Davis are very good players, no doubt.

You're underselling Roughead and Dickson. Roughead is great around the ground and was 12th in the league in contested marks last year. Dickson gave Shaw a bath in the prelim, would have had 5 if he didn't hit the post when we were already into the grand final.

Should be an entertaining game even with the missing players.

The increased possessions probably coincides with Corr coming into the side and freeing him up to be the +1. Not sure Tomlinson's role will change much this week - will affect Haynes more

When you say it will affect Haynes do you mean that he will be given a more defensive role?

This will be my debut appearance down in the capital. I'm not real keen on talk the ground facilities are ordinary- any truth to those? Also any suggestions on a pub/feed venue close to the ground? I don't want to compete with 15 minute lines for a bloody pie
Toilet queues seem to be the bigger issue, I had no probs with food and drink at the Port Game.Maybe bigger crowd, I have no idea what to expect from a cold Friday night game in Canberra. Manuka shops are at the opposite end of the grounds to the main gate. Didn't eat.there but saw a Grill'ed etc

Deledio probably. Griffen?.. depends who he replaces. Would be surprised if either spent much time midfield for you. Coniglio, Whitfield and Davis are very good players, no doubt.

You're underselling Roughead and Dickson. Roughead is great around the ground and was 12th in the league in contested marks last year. Dickson gave Shaw a bath in the prelim, would have had 5 if he didn't hit the post when we were already into the grand final.

Our AA player got a bath, Jezza didn't turn up and you won by a goal. You were extremely lucky clearly and must be really scared shitless about this year. It's unlikely Jezza will go goaless again and it would be the first "bath" I can I can recall Heater getting.
One would almost think you won by more than a goal.
Think you'll get within 10 anytime soon.

Toilet queues seem to be the bigger issue, I had no probs with food and drink at the Port Game.Maybe bigger crowd, I have no idea what to expect from a cold Friday night game in Canberra. Manuka shops are at the opposite end of the grounds to the main gate. Didn't eat.there but saw a Grill'ed etc
There are quite a few food places across the road at Manuka village.

Mmmmm grilled

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

There are quite a few food places across the road at Manuka village.

Mmmmm grilled

Disclaimer. Photo may or may not be an actual photo of the General Giant.....
f46bcf6d3a9ddf0d93932405e45a1f6f.gif

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Our AA player got a bath, Jezza didn't turn up and you won by a goal. You were extremely lucky clearly and must be really scared shitless about this year. It's unlikely Jezza will go goaless again and it would be the first "bath" I can I can recall Heater getting.
One would almost think you won by more than a goal.
Think you'll get within 10 anytime soon.

Ok.

Very true that Deledio or Griffen are unlikely to spend large chunks in the middle but that emphasis my point. Someone is having an off day or getting tagged and Griff and Deledio are the guys that move into the middle or they get rotated in against opposition tired first string miss and/or 7/8/9 best mid.

You missed the point on Roughead. The post I replied to claimed your ordinary clearenxe stats were a result of Roughead being out - contested marks have little relevance to clearances. With the no third man up rule I'd much prefer a ruck who won the tap than picked up 1.7 contested marks per game (is that really what you are hanging your hat on for a ruckmans quality?)

The post I responded to on Dickson claimed the whole teams inaccurate goal kicking was due to a guy who only kicks at 60 odd percent not playing so you back them up by highlighting another missed goal by him?

Very true that Deledio or Griffen are unlikely to spend large chunks in the middle but that emphasis my point. Someone is having an off day or getting tagged and Griff and Deledio are the guys that move into the middle or they get rotated in against opposition tired first string miss and/or 7/8/9 best mid.

You missed the point on Roughead. The post I replied to claimed your ordinary clearenxe stats were a result of Roughead being out - contested marks have little relevance to clearances. With the no third man up rule I'd much prefer a ruck who won the tap than picked up 1.7 contested marks per game (is that really what you are hanging your hat on for a ruckmans quality?)

The post I responded to on Dickson claimed the whole teams inaccurate goal kicking was due to a guy who only kicks at 60 odd percent not playing so you back them up by highlighting another missed goal by him?

Campbell has been pathetic at gaining hitouts to advantage this year and Roughead's contested marking around the ground was pivotal for us last year. Surprised you wouldn't see its value, watching Lobb play every week.

The other poster said only that our goalkicking is "not helped" by Dickson being out. That's hardly attributing our poor goal kicking solely to his absence.

This will be my debut appearance down in the capital. I'm not real keen on talk the ground facilities are ordinary- any truth to those? Also any suggestions on a pub/feed venue close to the ground? I don't want to compete with 15 minute lines for a bloody pie

Well you've got Manuka itself across the road, cafe/restaurant strip there. Kingston is walking distance with it's share of restaurants, couple of pubs. You've also got the Kingston Hotel about a block away from the ground - don't know if you still have to cook your own steak, but they've certainly got a pretty good bistro. And pretty much next door to that is the Eastlake Football Club, which is small but handy.

If you don't have to leave your seat during the game, your experience of Manuka will be vastly superior than if you do.

Campbell has been pathetic at gaining hitouts to advantage this year and Roughead's contested marking around the ground was pivotal for us last year. Surprised you wouldn't see its value, watching Lobb play every week.

The other poster said only that our goalkicking is "not helped" by Dickson being out. That's hardly attributing our poor goal kicking solely to his absence.

1.7 contested marks per game... to suggest that is pivotal is a bit ridiculous. Lobbs contested marking is great but will never be pivotal - he also tends to gain a fair proportion in the forward 50 which makes a difference. Lobb is also our backup ruck predominantly a key forward

Dickson being out is unlikely to have much of an affect on your accuracy given he isn't that far above the norm himself

1.7 contested marks per game... to suggest that is pivotal is a bit ridiculous. Lobbs contested marking is great but will never be pivotal - he also tends to gain a fair proportion in the forward 50 which makes a difference. Lobb is also our backup ruck predominantly a key forward

Dickson being out is unlikely to have much of an affect on your accuracy given he isn't that far above the norm himself

Haha of course he's not the reason that everyone else has been spraying it, but Dickson has kicked 90 goals at an accuracy of 75% over the last two years. How many are better than that? Saying he's basically average is laughable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you've got Manuka itself across the road, cafe/restaurant strip there. Kingston is walking distance with it's share of restaurants, couple of pubs. You've also got the Kingston Hotel about a block away from the ground - don't know if you still have to cook your own steak, but they've certainly got a pretty good bistro. And pretty much next door to that is the Eastlake Football Club, which is small but handy.

If you don't have to leave your seat during the game, your experience of Manuka will be vastly superior than if you do.
At least Manuka is the only ground where you can fill up your water bottle

Winning

All year I've been meh about this game. Planned to be here out of a sense of obligation.
Strangely pumped as I'm about to head to the game though. I've always liked watching the Bulldogs midfield as a neutral, tonight it's about hoping they get smashed.
Pretty confident we'll turn around our loss in the clearances in our H/A game. It's not a final and that's for later in the year maybe.
:pJust hope it's like the Port and Richmond games last year at Manuka where we really need a marshall onfield to make sure all the guys outside get a turn!
4 points will make me happy though.

Late change for us

Tom Campbell for Dale

FINAL TEAMS

The final teams have dropped for tonight's huge clash between the Western Bulldogs and Greater Western Sydney. There's a big late out for the Bulldogs. Over to you Tom Boyd...

Greater Western Sydney v Western Bulldogs at UNSW Canberra Oval, 7.50pm

LATE CHANGES
Greater Western Sydney:
Nil
Western Bulldogs: Tom Campbell replaced in selected side by Bailey Dale

FINAL INTERCHANGES
Greater Western Sydney: Tim Taranto, Matthew Kennedy, Nathan Wilson, Sam Reid
Western Bulldogs: Matt Suckling, Bailey Williams, Caleb Daniel, Lin Jong

Ward drove the win in the equivalent H&A, Round 9, getting the 3 Browlow votes and I expect him to do likewise again tonight. That he only played just over 26% of the PF, rather than his normal 90% was, for me, the biggest factor in our loss.

Haha of course he's not the reason that everyone else has been spraying it, but Dickson has kicked 90 goals at an accuracy of 75% over the last two years. How many are better than that? Saying he's basically average is laughable.

If you are going to quote stats at least get that right. 56% in 13, 60% in 14, 76% in 15 and 64% in 16. One of those seasons is not like the others...He had one very good season in front of goal and the rest are all average and what any forward should be doing.

Sorry for then intrusion. Great to see you guys playing on a Friday night. Is this your first Friday night game? It's a real credit to the team to be hosting Friday night football so early on in their history. Well done. :)
Yep

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 6 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Friday 28th April, 7.50pm, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back