Review Round 6, 2016: Werribee Tigers v Box Hill Hawks, 15 May 2016, 2.00pm @ Avalon Airport Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, but ruckmen often show little before they get to about 25-26 years.
If he shows any potential now, that can only be a good thing.

It's very unfair to judge them at such a young age.
Totally agree Davo. It was a critique on today's game only. He had no presence whatsoever but like you & every other Hawks supporter I hope he improves over time & that I become totally convinced.

Was at the game but seeing as it was televised I'm sure people have a better idea of who played well.
Can't say anyone had a good day out except my crush on Kade Stewart has grown 10 times again today. He was fantastic. 9 tackles and all of them were absolutely bone-crunching. He is deranged as an escaped mental patient and went for like 5 diving smothers in the last quarter when the game was on the line. It was just an amazing show of passion and fight for the ball. In addition added 2 contested marks to his name.

Not sure about stats totals, but as I said I don't think any players can hold their head high except Stewart, Whitecross, maybe Lovell and maybe Miles.
Stewart deserves the accolades. Definitely showed a bit today. That pass to Miles in the last was sublime.

Can people please keep talking about Stewart! I want to hear more! Can't wait for him to go on senior list and have a full pre season under his belt! Ever since we rookied him and I watched his draft videos I felt this kid looked like something special

Absolutely correct about Kade Stewart, a great tackler, can smother, run with the ball, shows heaps of promise.
Am amazed he only got picked up as a rookie, gee we are lucky to get him.
In time he'll be a very player in our senior team!

Only saw it on the Teev. Miles was excellent, in the first half he was the only one offering any real run from deep in defence. Went forward and probably had more shots on goal than any of our other forwards. Kicking is slightly suspect; dont think he has anything more than a seven iron in his bag.

Disappointed that Kurt did not play on Black. Kurt had more marks than a washing basket filled with my jocks. He looks to attack and his marking is easily AFL standard.

8OtNJT8.png

LgPXZZO.png

Absolutely correct about Kade Stewart, a great tackler, can smother, run with the ball, shows heaps of promise.
Am amazed he only got picked up as a rookie, gee we are lucky to get him.
In time he'll be a very player in our senior team!
I thought he looked very good on his highlights video when we picked him up in the draft. Size must have been an issue Check out his video

Interesting to note the best players in Grimlock's post. The only Box Hill player named that surprised me was Willsmore. Watching the game on television I barely noticed him and was surprised he got 22 possessions as I felt he had little influence on the game. Mirra, Miles, Spangher, Stewart and Heatherley were all clearly in our best players.
Maybe I am a lousy judge or need to watch the game more closely.

Get rid of lauchie Langford now never gunna make it
From 15 - 17 battled back stress fractures , imo it's the most important period for a young footballers devalopment meaning he's playing catch up right now .
Many would slip through the cracks if your only taking kids on face value .

If they play in Tassie the day before their match, the travelling emergency gets home the night after the game

I think people were thinking of players they might need for this coming Friday being pulled out as it would only be a five day break if they had played on Sunday. The fact that everyone played you would think indicates that at this stage they are not expecting to need any of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at the game but seeing as it was televised I'm sure people have a better idea of who played well.
Can't say anyone had a good day out except my crush on Kade Stewart has grown 10 times again today. He was fantastic. 9 tackles and all of them were absolutely bone-crunching. He is deranged as an escaped mental patient and went for like 5 diving smothers in the last quarter when the game was on the line. It was just an amazing show of passion and fight for the ball. In addition added 2 contested marks to his name.
Sounds like someone on the cusp of realising his dream and is doing everything he can to see it happen. If only all recruits had that attitude.

Only just able to watch the replay now.

They couldnt have done anything more possible to lose the game box hill. Was laughable.

Pittonent hopeless in the ruck. Didnt even compete a few times was asleep.

Some great signs though from a few.

That is the best and most consistent game i have seen Kiwi Kurt play. Looks AFL ready. Calm dependable good decsion making clean skills and great hands. Really impressed.

Miles buzzed around should have kicked 5. Good to see his possession numbers jump up. Dont like his ducking into tackles got 4 frees from it. Kicking is punchy and more often short than penetrating but is generally clean and creative.

Lachy Langers we have a player. Some brilliant glimpses looks to be quick with some skill and importantly a good temperament in that he looks.like a real competitor.

Kade ok. Some good moments but some long periods without a touch. Good thing is when he gets invloved they are big moments for the side.

Lovell solid shows some class.

Willsmore solid. Would love to see him now play fwd or back for.a block.of 6 weeks and learn to defend or carve out a niche as a fwd. He lopes around and floats in and out without really influencing things all that.much.

Sam iles star has faded. Nowhere near the ball winning machine he used to be.

Silly thing is as bad as we were we should have won by 2 or 3 goals...

Last edited:
Only saw it on the Teev. Miles was excellent, in the first half he was the only one offering any real run from deep in defence. Went forward and probably had more shots on goal than any of our other forwards. Kicking is slightly suspect; dont think he has anything more than a seven iron in his bag.

In fairness to Miles his four points were all taken from the wrong of the field to score. Nevertheless he should have slotted a couple of goals from these opportunities.

Kicking to the northern end in the third, he was on the right HFF side kicking with a light variable breeze blowing across him left to right and slightly behind him which narrowed the angle to the goals.

Just before the end of the third quarter the wind changed direction and picked up intensity to provide a four goal advantage blowing straight down the ground to the northern end rather than a light westerly blowing across the ground slightly favouring eth northern end. Kicking to the southern end in the last he was also shooting into stiff wind form the right hand side of the ground having to kick across this strong wind. His first shot cam off the side of the boot and the second went over the top of the right hand goal post.

If you look at the replay Stewart had a shot from directly in front kicking straight in to the wind kicking from 45 out with the man on the mark closer to 40m out. He gave the ball lots of air as he was at his maximum range and so his kick got held up by the breeze and fell and around +5m short of the goal line. Stewart learnt from this and when he had his second chance a few minutes later, he immediately played on ran out to his left so that he did not have to kick over the man on the mark and drove the ball low and hard into the wind and kicked a clever goal.

However, your essential point stands. Miles can't carry the distance if he is kicking from on the 50m line. Many of our smaller and medium players can kick the ball +50m and JOR is a prefect example of this (viz. the 2015 VFL GF).

Litherland is 23 (24 at the end of the season), if you are not a weekly best 22 by this time (ruckmen aside) its time to go.
Mate he's been trying to break into one of Hawthorns best ever running HB lines, and we've had some bloody good ones over the years.

Age will get Gibson and Brichall sooner rather than later, then we'll be glad we have a player in his prime ready to slot straight in.

I'd be keeping him, if he wants to stay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back