Review Round 6: Sunday 30/4 vs Casey @ Wonthaggi

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone please teach Mackenzie a set shot routine
He needs to kick through the ball and put his lob wedge away. Watch some film of Poppy kicking for goal.

He's young so it can be fixed. Hope the coaches are on to it.

Thought Jeka was ok given his recent injury. Think the comments on here are too absolute. I’m still thinking he might make an AFL player, and I’d be worried about some other players before him.

Wonthaggi 1 1/2 hour drive from Waverley park. Was the best chance for Gippsland. Gone now and ironically the demons danced on its grave when shut down
Thing is now the government are desperate to encourage businesses to go regional, and people to move. "Accessible" towns are all fighting to to get the support to make it happen

CMAC seemed to have a much quieter second half. Frenchy had a couple of quiet spots but finished well. Seems odd that we had the top 3 possession getters and a dominant ruck but just couldn't convert it to scoring.

Maybe should have swung Jeka back at half time given he wasn't doing much up forward. May have helped stem the flow a bit.

My feeling is that Casey will not have it so easy come finals when these guys get it all together.

Thing is now the government are desperate to encourage businesses to go regional, and people to move. "Accessible" towns are all fighting to to get the support to make it happen
What are the grounds like in Morwell & Traralgon? I would think that area would make more sense for us to have a regional base due to access, and great for the region

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the grounds like in Morwell & Traralgon? I would think that area would make more sense for us to have a regional base due to access, and great for the region
That whole region is pretty good. Again, it's not about the hawks, it's about the Wonthaggi council trying to make it happen

I just can’t see Jeka being on the list next season.

He has zero urgency. Zero.

Such a shame because he seems to have all the talent in the world.

As others have noted, I’d be worried if I were Kosi and Finn.

DGB should be tearing it apart at this level. He’s very far from doing that. I just don’t know about him.

Meek was good. He’ll probably come in next week.

CMac and Frenchie too good for VFL.

Butler and O’Sullivan had some good moments. Bennetts didn’t have much impact today, but all youngsters have quiet games.

C-Mac is going to be an impressive midfielder. His class cannot be denied. That said, for the time being, he's going to need to find a way to have an impact up the ground playing as a forward at the AFL level, similar to how he did in round 3 against North Melbourne. It's the same story with Mackenzie. He displays the maturity and poise of a player four years his senior, but for the foreseeable future, he will have to make do as a half-forward. He also needs help with his goal-kicking routine. He needs to follow through with it a lot more instead of connecting with the ball like he's kicking from a clearance.

I thought the effort from Jeka was really poor. I can't see how he makes it at AFL level now. It's really disappointing to see him fall off considering he looked like he could be the best thing since sliced bread just two years ago.

I thought Blanck and DGB were serviceable today. Kosi was alright, but he just has iron hands.

Maginness may get delisted. Today proved that his disposal is a proper liability. He was meant to be our midfield's lord and saviour when we drafted him. Now, he's worse than Day, Newcombe, Worpel, Nash, Ward, MacDonald, and Mackenzie and is in danger of being eclipsed by Hustwaite and Long in our pecking order.

Cooper Stephens' poor disposal really is noticeable, and Worpel is a better clearance player and is better all-around, so this talk of him being Worpel's successor is nonsense.

Overall, it was quite similar to our AFL match. Outrun by older opponents who have been together for a longer period of time.

Last edited:
If he had Kosi's desire we would have star CHF on our hands.

Instead we have two spuds.
Dont take this personally but there are no spuds at that level .

Jeka is talented but doesnt have the intensity unfortunately to make it .
Kosi has 'nice' attributes but realistically doesnt have that 'it factor' at afl level .

Its sort of like on the cricket board people calling first class and test players 'spuds' ......its pretty disrespectful tbh

The commentator just said that Connor MacDonald is almost a local to Wonthaggi. He comes from Doveton.

That’s like saying Sunbury is local to Sandringham. 😂
well, at least Doveton and Wonthaggi are in same direction for CDB; the comparitor is more Sunbury is local to Bendigo.

How much longer do we wait before it’s time to start trialling DGB forward? Like Naughton he might be ok there. Starting to really worry about his output and decision making in contests down back. I was in camp of giving him 50 games before freaking out, but I’m actually starting to freak out already. As a pick 6 he has shown absolutely nothing. I was also a fan of swinging Kosi back, but don’t see the point now. He would be dropped from Box hill no doubt if he wasn’t on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back