Preview Round 7, 2020: Hawthorn v Melbourne, 19 July 2020, 3.35pm @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me crazy but it would be nice to have a game plan that actually works no matter where you play 🤷🏼‍♂️
I agree. The reality is we just don’t play those thinner grounds well and that’s just a by product of us playing home games at the MCG. We used to struggle at Subiaco too but surprise surprise we are undefeated at Optus which is pretty much identical dimensions to the MCG.

You right though that it would be great if we had a simplified game plan for the smaller / thinner grounds. That would be easier said than done to achieve and the problem is we are just not good enough to win games like that with talent alone like we used to.

I would like to see Greaves in the mix for selection before the end of the season. He played well during the pre-season games and might be one of the few players on the list outside the best 22 that could potentially play as the small/medium defender.

..I also thought about this in round one..and I think that he wants to counteract the Richmondesque ground ball scramble game by winning the game in the air. Both our backs and forwards feel tall. But has somewhat backfired at the moment because speed seems to be vogue with shortened quarters and the slow play aerial game is problematic. Just a theory.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
A good one imo.

You are right but there talls are very athletic/ mobile and not plodders like ours. Also they take marks unlike our talls ie TOB, Cegs etc.

towards the end of 2019, plenty of marks were being taken. Fans were saying it was remarkable from a hawthorn team

I would like to see Greaves in the mix for selection before the end of the season. He played well during the pre-season games and might be one of the few players on the list outside the best 22 that could potentially play as the small/medium defender.
He looked comfortable at the level in the pre-season games. Took a big hit against St Kilda and managed to keep going.

Bit of a link player who could be useful for us getting the ball out of the back half.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will drop Scully before Henderson
I agree but I wouldn't be surprised if Hendo is still having delayed concussion symptoms from the Cats game. Scully has looked as soft as butter and don't be surprised if you never see pre-ankle injury Scully ever again.

Move hendo back or forward and leave scully and smith on the wings with minimal roatations. Hendo has shown he can play back and forward throughout his career. If we are worried about ball movement play him of the back flank, if our ball movement is going well we can sit him forward

Henderson has been played out of position this year. Add to that the shit dimensions of Giants Stadium, hasn’t helped his running game. Even Smith has struggled as well. They’re best games have been at the MCG this year.

Henderson has been played out of position this year. Add to that the sh*t dimensions of Giants Stadium, hasn’t helped his running game. Even Smith has struggled as well. They’re best games have been at the MCG this year.

Smith was clearly one of our best last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back