Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A fit Gardner will always get the nod before Payne at the moment.
And rightly so.

Seems we're a bit light on for whipping boys at the moment.

On Payne obviously he has shortcomings at this stage and the players keeping him out of the team are better bets right now.

But he has enough physical attributes and enough ability to iron out the gliches over time with more exposure imo. Sometimes players are always what they are but looking at him you'd be surprised if he didn't have a lot of improvement in hm. We won't really know until he gets a run of games.

So.....
Payne in the forward line to replace Joe until Hippy is back.
I'd like to see him in the goal square doing a Lynchy. Be interesting !

Yeah, there were some good contested marks as well. Payne has all the skills, he just lacks some intensity sometimes.
But the talk is Fullarton as the replacement. At the weekend he only had 7 Disposals, 4 kicks, 3 h/balls, 2 marks, 0 tackles, 3 hit outs and 1 goal in a good winning side. Payne had - 24 disposals, 20 kicks, 4 h/balls, 12 marks and 2 tackles in the backline. If you are looking at the stats there is only one choice that stands out. Payne deserves his chance. Fullarton prior to this has not impressed. This is on the proviso that we are going a tall replacement. Going forward I don't think going small is the answer. We need that extra tall as a backup so we need Payne to get game time in the seniors in case we get injuries, covid, etc where we may need that extra tall.

But the talk is Fullarton as the replacement. At the weekend he only had 7 Disposals, 4 kicks, 3 h/balls, 2 marks, 0 tackles, 3 hit outs and 1 goal in a good winning side. Payne had - 24 disposals, 20 kicks, 4 h/balls, 12 marks and 2 tackles in the backline. If you are looking at the stats there is only one choice that stands out. Payne deserves his chance. Fullarton prior to this has not impressed. This is on the proviso that we are going a tall replacement. Going forward I don't think going small is the answer. We need that extra tall as a backup so we need Payne to get game time in the seniors in case we get injuries, covid, etc where we may need that extra tall.
Pretty sure Fullarton only played half a game so stats aren’t going to tell you much from that game.

Jarrod Berry was instrumental in 4 goals - 3 were great handpass goal assists...

Wouldn't surprise me if he's in the top 5 for goal assists by the end of the year.

Matho had 31 disposals, 15 kicks, 16 handballs, 6 marks, and 6 tackles. If you're looking at the stats there is only one choice that stands out.

Pisses me off even more that CEY took the pos he did and robbed us off the opp to keep on say Joyce or Ballenden.

The coaches obviously rated Fullarton over Ballenden - not sure it was b/c Fullarton was contracted and Ballenden wasnt, but I reckon Connor is a much better player Fullarton and wouldve been a better option waiting in the wings for this situation.The one thing as an uneducated footy person is that Fullarton, like Ballenden are both pretty passive and soft players and lack that aggressive white line bull you want in a key fwd. Obviously the vibe is Fullarton to play, but I'm picking Payne and even Froggy over Fullarton by a mile who doesn't look anything like an AFL player or at least has never looked like one to me. I mean, would Fullarton even get a game at anyone of the bottom 4 clubs if he was on there list this week - I doubt it, so not sure why he does with the second best outfit.
Ballenden leading the SANFL for contested marks I read today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure Fullarton only played half a game so stats aren’t going to tell you much from that game.
yep although I still think Blake Coleman looked better then him up forward the last few weeks.
Blake had a interrupted pre season so seems to be hitting fitness now.
Personally I rather go Dev, T Berry or Cockatoo until Hippy back. use Oscar/Fort upforward instead of bench
Really want to see how Dev or T Berry goes.. Cockatoo did some good things last weekend.
Although maybe another week in the 2's be good for him

I don't think Nakia will be back to his potential best until he has another uninterrupted pre season under his belt, IMO he doesn't have the endurance base to play a good percentage of TOG.
I don't think he's ever been at his potential best. Even when fit he's never been a big possession winner or been able to affect a four quarter performance. His best is freakish, but I'm not sure good clubs can carry guys that are so inconsistent. That said HFF is probably one of the hardest positions to play to that consistent measure.

Nice to see Harris Andrews in form. When the game is played on his terms, there's not a more dominant defender in the comp.

When our pressure is up and our mids defend, Harris will play well. When they don’t, he gets exposed. Our pressure and defense up the ground has been good the last 2-3 weeks and his form has improved.

And rightly so.

Seems we're a bit light on for whipping boys at the moment.

So.....
Payne in the forward line to replace Joe until Hippy is back.
I'd like to see him in the goal square doing a Lynchy. Be interesting !
Don't mind that idea, with young Edwards (200cm 98kg, 16 games) marking him.
Also don't mind Dev coming in and Cam playing permanent forward.

Either of the above two I would be happy with. Safe to say, no matter who we pick we beat the Eagles by plenty. Usually when a team is beaten by 100+ there is a response, but as they showed in 2020, during COVID hub in QLD, I think they are mentally a weak team. Compared to how Freo embraced hub living during that time. So I expect very little from WC except for perhaps the first ten minutes.

When our pressure is up and our mids defend, Harris will play well. When they don’t, he gets exposed. Our pressure and defense up the ground has been good the last 2-3 weeks and his form has improved.

Is this not the case with any defence?

Is this not the case with any defence?

Yes of coarse, did I suggest it was unique to us? just pointing out that more often than not, when Harris is said to be out of form, not at his peak or having bags kicked on him - is when we are having a patch of the season where we don’t defend the middle of the ground. When our pressure is up like it was on Sunday, you see the absolute best of him.

The big question is. Game of the round, top 4 clash, road win.. Sunday night so top of mind, will we get a mention on the Monday shows!? Will Gerard utter the words ‘Brisbane Lions’ this week…? Hahaha
Nope! Didn't happen On the Couch or on Footy Classified - for us OR the Swans. Freo got a half-decent run though, and Kane always makes sure the SA teams get a go.

While we're on the Swans, can anyone explain the LOGIC involved in Nick Blakey playing for Sydney Swans. His father played 359 VFL/AFL games, none of them for a NSW club, and it's not like he wouldn't have played football if not for the Swans Academy. I can't see why he got to choose SS.

Nope! Didn't happen On the Couch or on Footy Classified - for us OR the Swans. Freo got a half-decent run though, and Kane always makes sure the SA teams get a go.

While we're on the Swans, can anyone explain the LOGIC involved in Nick Blakey playing for Sydney Swans. His father played 359 VFL/AFL games, none of them for a NSW club, and it's not like he wouldn't have played football if not for the Swans Academy. I can't see why he got to choose SS.
father was a Sydney coach & he grew up in the Swans academy and chose Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back