Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

it's not like he wouldn't have played football if not for the Swans Academy
Would he have developed into the player he is today without it? He might not have been a draft option for example. It's an unanswerable question, but he was in it since he hit the minimum age requirements.

AM I right in thinking that somehow Nick Blackey could ve joined the Lions F/S but the reason we were dismissed is that aside from living in Brissie whilst Dad was an assistant when he was a little tacker that he had no affilliation to the city? It makes sense joining Sydney if he could via Academy and god knows you wouldn't be choosing Norf if you have a say.

Yes of coarse, did I suggest it was unique to us? just pointing out that more often than not, when Harris is said to be out of form, not at his peak or having bags kicked on him - is when we are having a patch of the season where we don’t defend the middle of the ground. When our pressure is up like it was on Sunday, you see the absolute best of him.
I wholeheartedly agree and apologies for misinterpreting.

It annoys me when people call out the defence for problems caused by a lack of workrate further up the field. At the same time, some people act like other teams (even the best ones) don't suffer similar problems.

AM I right in thinking that somehow Nick Blackey could ve joined the Lions F/S but the reason we were dismissed is that aside from living in Brissie whilst Dad was an assistant when he was a little tacker that he had no affilliation to the city? It makes sense joining Sydney if he could via Academy and god knows you wouldn't be choosing Norf if you have a say.
Will Ashcroft was a part of the Academy at the Suns when his Father was working there.
So if he was still there, Will would have the choice of 2 clubs as well so we were kind of lucky that his Dad was moved on from the Suns otherwise Will would have been there for a fair period and would have built a connection with them. Might have made his choice a little harder.

All those bemoaning our lack of media coverage after the weekend - Darcy Fort taking Fitzy's record led off the Back Page on Fox, which turned into 6 minutes of assessment of the Lions - unheard of :thumbsu: :) . And they showed Fitzy's 3rd goal was in fact touched, so his streak should have ended at 2.

Nope! Didn't happen On the Couch or on Footy Classified - for us OR the Swans. Freo got a half-decent run though, and Kane always makes sure the SA teams get a go.

While we're on the Swans, can anyone explain the LOGIC involved in Nick Blakey playing for Sydney Swans. His father played 359 VFL/AFL games, none of them for a NSW club, and it's not like he wouldn't have played football if not for the Swans Academy. I can't see why he got to choose SS.
The exact same reason Hodge’s kids will be able to choose Brisbane if they stay in Brisbane, are good enough and come through our academy.

The exact same reason Hodge’s kids will be able to choose Brisbane if they stay in Brisbane, are good enough and come through our academy.
A number of people have responded, but not answered the question, and Dr Google can't find me a link to what qualifies a Qld or NSW Academy member to get to choose to stay at home when no-one else can. It cannot be argued that Blakey would not have developed without the Swans Academy, a totally different scenario to Heaney or Mills who didn't have Australian Rules backgrounds.

Your comment that Hodge's sons could have that same choice is, I believe, untenable. Their choices should be F/S at Hawthorn - and I despise Hawthorn - or go into the open draft. I doubt very much that Marc Murphy would have chosen the open draft if a Victorian club hadn't held pick 1.

The logic is that clubs that commit to developing players should have the ability to access those players in the draft should they turn out to be good enough, otherwise the academies would be useless. Why spend money on expensive academies if those players can just be picked up by other clubs?

A number of people have responded, but not answered the question, and Dr Google can't find me a link to what qualifies a Qld or NSW Academy member to get to choose to stay at home when no-one else can. It cannot be argued that Blakey would not have developed without the Swans Academy, a totally different scenario to Heaney or Mills who didn't have Australian Rules backgrounds.

Your comment that Hodge's sons could have that same choice is, I believe, untenable. Their choices should be F/S at Hawthorn - and I despise Hawthorn - or go into the open draft. I doubt very much that Marc Murphy would have chosen the open draft if a Victorian club hadn't held pick 1.

Only eligibility is living for a certain number of years continuously within the academy zone leading up to their draft year. That's why Blakey was eligible for the Swans. That is literally the rule for Northern Academies.

Your broader points are exactly the reason why norf fans complained about Blakey going to the swans at the time.

NGA kids also can.

What's the line you want to draw between Blakey and Heeney or Mills? Not allowed to have a dad that played VFL or better? Or if it's whether they'd play Aussie Rules, maybe include suburban comps? Or is the rule is around employment at the club?

And it absolutely can be argued that Blakey may not have developed to the same degree without the involvement of the academy. There's plenty of kids of AFL players that never amounted to anything after all, and it's impossible to prove a counterfactual.

The answer is simple.

To have resided in one teams zone for 5 consecutive years, up to their draft year.

They don’t even have to be in the academy the whole time, as long as they are in the academy during their draft year.

There has been one exception that I’m aware of, when one GWS’s kid moved up to the Gold Coast with his family in his bottom age year. He joined the GC academy as a 17 year old, but returned to NSW at the end of the year, to rejoin the GWS academy.

He was allowed to nominate the GWS academy for the draft.

As per my post, here's the wing attendances for round 7:

Wing AttendanceRound 7SydneySCG
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Ah Chee
1​
1​
8​
6​
16​
24.62%​
J.Berry
3​
7​
4​
9​
23​
35.38%​
Cameron
1​
1​
2​
3.08%​
Prior
2​
7​
8​
7​
24​
36.92%​

The amusing thing about this week is that we had one short in the last bounce of the third quarter but didn't get penalised for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back