Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Just rewatching this morning.

Thought Fort had his best game. He's been what we've needed in the ruck to help out Oscar. He's also great at getting those little taps to the midfielders at each contest, something our other ruck backups never could really seem to do in recent years.
He was more. As soon as he went into the ruck when we were under the pump in the 3rd quarter he turned in around with some intelligent work in the centre ballup and even started winning clearances himself.

If we were to go with one ruck right now it would be him. Oscar is out of form tbh.

He was more. As soon as he went into the ruck when we were under the pump in the 3rd quarter he turned in around with some intelligent work in the centre ballup and even started winning clearances himself.

If we were to go with one ruck right now it would be him. Oscar is out of form tbh.
After Joe went down, I saw Darcy up forward and Oscar in the ruck to start the third. I was waiting with baited breath until they swapped because it felt like we upgraded at both positions last night when they did.

After Joe went down, I saw Darcy up forward and Oscar in the ruck to start the third. I was waiting with baited breath until they swapped because it felt like we upgraded at both positions last night when they did.
Yeah Oscar seems to struggle when he can't get a run and jump at the ball in the center, and a few of those bounces drifted over to his side and Ladhams just jumped straight over him.

But, ruck contests are so hard to judge because sometimes in that situation a ruckman can stand their ground, hold position and effectively Shepard the other ruckman from getting the ball, other times that's called a block and the free kick almost entirely depends on if the opposition ruckman throws his hands up (or has a high profile).

On the umpiring, Overall I thought the decisions for holding / dropping / throws was the loosest interpretation I have seen all season. We got away with a few obvious ones aswell, but it really felt like the NRL umpires had gone to the wrong game at times.

Sportsbet has removed Joe from the Coleman market. Know something we don’t ?
They tend to do that with any unknown injury because they can't give accurate odds.

But, ruck contests are so hard to judge because sometimes in that situation a ruckman can stand their ground, hold position and effectively Shepard the other ruckman from getting the ball, other times that's called a block and the free kick almost entirely depends on if the opposition ruckman throws his hands up (or has a high profile).
It's usually pretty simple - you can block as long as you get to the ball yourself. If you get a hand on the ball it's considered part of the ruck contest. If you don't, you're considered as just blocking your opponent getting a tap.

Just rewatching this morning.

Thought Fort had his best game. He's been what we've needed in the ruck to help out Oscar. He's also great at getting those little taps to the midfielders at each contest, something our other ruck backups never could really seem to do in recent years.
i think it is a good pairing.. They are different types of rucks. Fort more tap.. Oscar does the big smashes.
Good to have variety.. I think also Dan did a good job inside 50 rucking last night.
I be tempted go for Dev or T Berry in for Joe until Hippy comes back. Rest Fort/Oscar forward.
Rather then Fullarton.. Lane had a better game in VFL yesterday.

Razor on SEN explaining ruck contests, block talk starts at about 1:40

Great video, he mentions the exact problem I'm talking about, if the ball bounces back over the ruckman, he can't put an arm out to protect the space even if he touches the ball (he says if one ruckman puts his arm out and the other doesn't, it's a free kick).

So in that situation you basically have to just let the other ruckman run over the top of you.

Unless I'm not understanding that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great video, he mentions the exact problem I'm talking about, if the ball bounces back over the ruckman, he can't put an arm out to protect the space even if he touches the ball (he says if one ruckman puts his arm out and the other doesn't, it's a free kick).

So in that situation you basically have to just let the other ruckman run over the top of you.

I think in that situation they will put a knee up to protect themselves but that's when the knee on knee PCL stuff happens.

But to me it doesn't make sense that they adjudicate the arm out that way, but it's not the umpires fault that they pay the free kick as by the sounds of it thats the way they are told to by the umpiring department. Time to change the interpretation of ruck contests so that the only free kicks that are paid is for high and jersey grabs

Razor is a gun, straight up.

That video is the sort of thing that can turn your perceptions around on the competence of umpires but unfortunately I am simply not convinced that the majority of them are on Razor’s level.

Razor is a gun, straight up.

That video is the sort of thing that can turn your perceptions around on the competence of umpires but unfortunately I am simply not convinced that the majority of them are on Razor’s level.
Yeah Razor is definitely one of the better umps in the competition. Even if he is a bit theatrical.

I felt this week and last week even though there were some poor interpretations, it was at least even for both teams. It's very obvious when we play against one of the traditional states tames how much of a bias the other way there seems to be, mainly on those 50/50 or benefit of the doubt calls.

I reckon they kicked at least 4 goals because of 'dubious' free kicks.
most sides get a few at home from the crowd.
Except for us for some reason..

Interesting score wise they just won the 3rd and 4th and we won only the 2nd.
We only won 3 first and 3 last qtrs for the year. We done our work in 2nd and 3rd 5 each

He’s an icon of our club but I can’t stand Lynchy as a commentator.

He seems utterly paralysed by the fear of saying any controversial or looking even slightly partial. Never once goes into bat for us, even when we cop an objectively terrible umpiring howler. Adds basically nothing but noise.

He’s an icon of our club but I can’t stand Lynchy as a commentator.

He seems utterly paralysed by the fear of saying any controversial or looking even slightly partial. Never once goes into bat for us, even when we cop an objectively terrible umpiring howler. Adds basically nothing but noise.
Regrettably I reckon that's a fair call.

I remember quite a few sour grapes posts from Freo fans when we got Neale saying we were overpaying for a stat padder who doesn’t always hurt with his disposals.

It was an exaggeration but not entirely without some basis. But man has he just continued to find new levels to go to.

The way he has continued to develop is extraordinary, and a credit to him. He could have just taken the pay day and metaphorically put his feet up. He holds himself to a very high standard and is an exceptional role model.
We've had some absolute champion players in the last 25 years. But I reckon we've only had a couple who routinely put the team on their backs and carry them home. Voss, for sure. Browny, certainly. And I reckon Neale is there too.

It's not to say others aren't incredible, match changing players but there's something indefinable that guys like Voss, Brown and now Neale do. It's like when things aren't going as well, they think "**** this, I'll get it done" - an intense competitiveness that goes to another level when the tide turns against them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back