Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The best moment of the game was when Cam starting laughing before the ball crashed into his chest from the barrel beyond the middle.

It made me think why don't we do this more often. And that we need to move on from hack high kicks or short kicks to improbable one on ones.

1651405588221.png

I think this would be fages' expression if our players decided to only kick torps as our i50 entries.

The turn around in the third after it was looking dicey was very impressive. Great game. I thought the addition of Zorko into the midfield today made us bat that little bit deeper. Tbh Zorko has been in ripping form this year, one of the commentators said his speed of disposal from gather to kick is just unreal to watch (even if helped by his height a bit).

Just to add too the (well deserved) Ah Chee love, how good was that barrel! Rayner couldn't wipe the smile off his face when he took the mark haha.

I agree, I think he is more damaging so far this year but we need to remember that his Brownlow year was in 2020 when there was 20% less game time than normal so most of his stats will be a little less for that year as a result.

I did consider that. If his ToG is 7% lower than 2020 I wonder how different his actual ToG is to that year? Insert math wiz to work this equation out :p

He had a quiet game or two earlier on in the season, and Cripps is looking damn good this year. Can't forget Miller. In fact there's quite a few stars who are firing hard this year.

Touk Miller is a gun.

Would still have Lachie over him and every other on ball mid in the comp.

I laughed my **** off listening to SEN last week when one of their "experts" said they would take Callum Mills from Sydney over Lachie Neale "any day of the week"

I wish I could remember who it was.

It may have been that Josh Jenkins peanut but I'm not sure

The pressure we brought in the second quarter is the standard we need to replicate if we really want that flag.

It was brilliant. When Melbourne try to go on one of their trademark 10 minute offensive bursts, we need to flick the switch and hit them with that.

Touk Miller is a gun.

Would still have Lachie over him and every other on ball mid in the comp.

I laughed my **** off listening to SEN last week when one of their "experts" said they would take Callum Mills from Sydney over Lachie Neale "any day of the week"

I wish I could remember who it was.

It may have been that Josh Jenkins peanut but I'm not sure
I can't believe anyone in the media would say that with a straight face.

Some of the things Neale did today were just insanely good. And he did it many many times.

He's got one of those bodies that's hard to hurt , he's totally dedicated to his craft and has many years left at the top echelon imo.

Tellingly in the post match interview he brought up that he wasn't that flash last week. Well he was still very good by normal standards.

Whatever it takes to keep him I'd be doing it, within reason.

Just got back from the game

What a performance! Everyone stood up when it counted. I thought in the third quarter we'd get overrun like we did the last time we played in Sydney, but we stuck fat and held on before striking back. That second quarter was the best we've played all year, despite losing Daniher. Rayner is continuing to build, Lachie was immense at ground level, and the ruck combo kept Sydney on the back foot. Couldn't have asked for much more than that.

On another note, big ups to all the lion's supporters at the game. We were surprisingly loud given how relatively few of us there were.

The only lowlight is Joe's injury. Hopefully, it isn't too bad. Besides that, that was the best we've played all year.

Thanks Christ I don’t have to read that so and so should be dropped this week after one bad game. Think somewhere on here someone mentioned JL needs to go after last week. 🙄 anyhow- Lachie Neale has moved into the top 5 players to ever play at the lions. In my humble opinion.
Had a massive laugh at that post last week, Lyons does 80% of his work without us noticing.

A solid win tonight. At the start of the year, reviewing the fixture, this game, the two Demons games and the Saints game were the ones I thought would be a challenge. I still thought that at 1/4 time. There is no doubt Gill will be reading out "L Neale, Brisbane, 3 votes" in September. Unless there is a Sydney umpire bias and they give the 3 to Buddy.
As much as Kingy is on the Lions bandwagon, and there was so much hype about this being the match of round, I fully expect any media reporting will focus on how Buddy nearly carried the swans over the line and how will the lions cope without Daniher?

Fagan has always gone like for like replacement, and the goto tall replacement is Fullerton. I'd say next week, mix it up, and play Froggy Lester up forward. As for the Prior replacement, its the choice of two Robbo's!
We can all agree to love Lester but he should only play if we have a covid outbreak or mass injuries.

Our defence was critical for us in the first quarter. There was an arm wrestle early, leaning towards Sydney being on top - but our defence was superb for that period. I think any other team other than Melbourne would have conceded a couple of goals during that period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our defence was critical for us in the first quarter. There was an arm wrestle early, leaning towards Sydney being on top - but our defence was superb for that period. I think any other team other than Melbourne would have conceded a couple of goals during that period.
That was actually a crucial part of the game . They butchered a few chances which helped us but we really took the sting out of them with very solid defensive structures.

The start of the 3rd quarter was an anomaly. Oscar was poor and we got creamed out of the centre for 5 goals from 5 entries. Which is highly unusual.

Once we set up better in the centre we clearly got on top again.

I thought it was a very convincing win.

That was actually a crucial part of the game . They butchered a few chances which helped us but we really took the sting out of them with very solid defensive structures.

The start of the 3rd quarter was an anomaly. Oscar was poor and we got creamed out of the centre for 5 goals from 5 entries. Which is highly unusual.

Once we set up better in the centre we clearly got on top again.

I thought it was a very convincing win.

My view has always been you can't properly judge our defensive six when those further up the field are getting creamed or applying no pressure. People on here are way too quick to blame the defence when a team gets a run on of goals. I still have Darcy in the votes because I thought he played a great game, outside of the period where the whole team was getting flogged by the Swans.

Very pleasing win.

Best part about it was how we responded when challenged, twice. In previous years, including our recent top 4 seasons, we would have gone to water and lost by 5+ goals.
Even survived the fat lady gif.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7, 2022 - Sydney vs. Brisbane Lions

Back