Autopsy Round 7, 2024 : Hawks get pecked by Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't help but think the vitriol thrown at Chol wouldn't be as bad if he was white

Personally I give him virtiol coz of his white head strip

(this is sarcasm by the way, just thought I would point it out because I highly suspect you couldn't pour water out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel)

It's mind numbing some of the supporters ganging up on Chol, of the three key talls up forward he was far and away the most effective.

Chol was not brought in to be the #1 forward he was brought in to be a foil to Lewis and match up on the 2nd or 3rd key defender like Riccardi at the Giants.

He showed when Lewis played against Essendon & Geelong he can do that role really well.
Such a good post 👍👍.
Add to knee jerk reactions the stupidity to find excuses stats like poor conversion and scoring, as many forward entry’s etc etc are just such bullshit. The reality is we didn’t have the courage to trade last year, we didn’t have the smarts to see the Reeves ruck issue until Rd4 and we continue to fail in onground leadership. All and more culminate on days like today. Where we kick from is why conversion is poor, lack of pressure is why everyone converts so well against us. We recruited to be in the mix for ladder position 8 to 12 hoping to attract a big name, a vivid mistake. A bloody shambles rooted in poor strategy.

Yep, it's pretty disgusting actually. We were our own worst enemy, but the current system is spiraling out of control. The more success these academies have, the more young players will join and on it goes. I applaud the success of the national game, but resent the position it will put many clubs in should it continue.

So Heeney took ten years to be absolute elite? That’s not that great for before

Last year we had games where we would transition the ball from d50 to f50 in 3 kicks. We were a speedy and nice to watch team. Now we take about 10 handballs and one kick in. Surely this gameplan isn't working..it's crazy. We should copy the Sydney blueprint, fast ball movement give forwards a chance.

Perhaps being taken more seriously by opponents

Genuine question

Are we worse then West Coast now? Given they got a lot of their players back now they ran with GC for 3 quarters today, we couldn't get near them

Their kicking inside 50 is making Waterman look like Carey while our skill has fallen off a cliff
They're getting more from their older players and they're distributed a lot more evenly across their lines. We sorely lack the senior leadership in the midfield especially.

I think our best is better but they have the ability to perform closer to their best far more consistently than we could dream of at present. They'll be in more games and give themselves chances of winning because of it.

I think we all feel abit punched in the gut after todays performance. I do think we need to also start seeing a harder edge from Sam, yes we a young developing side but sometimes the old school approach of laying down the law is needed. It is hard to know how much this happens, we only really get to see the 'social media' side of the coaches interactions with the players, apart from game day itself and everyone is smiling and happy. Im not talking about singling out players in post match conferences or anything like that but nearly everytime the camera shows Longmire in the coaches box he looks like he is about to let off a rocket. He is not afraid to let his players know what he expects and you can see how discliplined they are.

Sydney has been drilled for years upon years of being a tight high pressure unit, and we saw that from them in the first quarter. We were able to hang in there for a little while but our basic skill errors, poor goal kicking, bad decision making meant Sydney were always going to shake us off, and then the floodgates open, this happens far too much against teams. Maybe we have too many players who think they can just ride along without putting in 100% effort each game. Last week we heard about bringing mouthguards to training and players wrestling during practise. This needs to happen every week, not just have a comfortable win over the roos, then think ok we can just cruise again.

We really need to work alot harder during the week on alot of things, players and the coaching staff, but players need to be put on notice also, if you arent going to show up or give a s**t, then let someone else come in and show they deserve a spot more. Even if we lose games, we should be walking off knowing we gave it our all, Unfortunately at the moment , there is too few carrying too many.

Would like to see more effort defensively.

Sydney smashed us in the tackles and spoils. All while having plenty more of the ball.

Our kids do alright hunting for the ball but we look miles off it without it.

That's really the next step and applying it over four quarters.

I said it in the gameday thread, we turned up, then the players packed it in after a couple of bad calls.

I am a broken record in my next obser - We are in desperate need of LEADERS. We have noone who is vocal, getting players to lead and create space, Players to zone etc.
Sicily is not a leader this year. He's gone from possibly the best captain in the league to the worst

Gotta give credit to Dylan Moore, he didn't stop running all game, and about the only player that can walk away saying "I tried"
Agree. Baseline ifc talent is there but it needs to mature. We still lack leaders like hodge Mitchell Lewis roughy.

Characters who will never quit.
Maybe weddle Mackenzie Dear Day Newcombe will develop into those leaders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston cannot jump anymore and has lost his yard of pace. He isn't adding anything and taking game time away from others that are the future.

Don’t know why we traded in Gunston and Chol a couple of kids that we could have brought in would have offered more now and in the future.

Chol is the new Vickery and Gunston is cooked.

Does winning the inside 50s for most of the game actually mean anything when they're entries like ours ? Pointless stat really.

Interesting to compare this season to Clarkson’s second in charge (technically this is the second year in the Mitchell rebuild).

2006 we finished 11th with a record of 9-13, coming home strong to win the last 4 of the year. We had some big wins that year but were also thumped on multiple occasions (losses of 43, 53, 65, 70, 75 and 96).

So today’s loss taken in isolation is not as bad as it may look. But we are a long, long way from winning 9 games this year.

And if you compare it to Clarko’s third season in charge, well, it’s not even a competition.

Had some more time to process the game and what I saw today.
Effort was outstanding but a few things I'm going to keep taking into account regardless of what some on here say:

- the influence umpiring has on young players is immense, you can say it shouldn't, but gave three 12 point turn arounds from frees in the first half is exceptionally difficult to deal with for players who feel that there should be more reward for effort.

- our forward line mix is entirely different from last year. We have a new spearhead who isn't a natural spearhead, we have a new small brigade and we have next to no leadership in that space. Give us some continuity, give us Lewis and Wingard and suddenly we have two senior voices directing traffic.

- our tackling woes are dire, but if I step back and think about it, it's boys against men most weeks. Our two senior bulls in Worps and Nash hit harder and stick more tackles, whilst our youth js pushed aside. Once our boys have grown into men I think our tackle count will go up significantly

- momentum is a bitch. Both in game and week to week. I'm confident we will have another late spree of wins this season, but I think that lage spree will start earlier than last year.

I'm angry at our result, but I can see the method to the madness, and I can see improvement.
We aren't the only team to get pantsed by Sydney this year and we won't be the last.
Our focus needs to be on improving our mix for next week, and improving our young players understanding of in game momentum and positioning.

I’d like to see a few magnets thrown around Sicily should play HF, Weddle is getting lost at the moment. Play Chol behind the ball.

Gunston plays until Lewis is back and that’s it.

It’s sad but we just don’t have the talent unfortunately. Mackenzie seems he seems like a Sam Mitchell type player finds the ball with plenty of time unfortunately right now I don’t think he realise how much time he has and often handballs to a covered player. Confident he is a solid player for us though.

Day is a JET once he gets his legs again he’ll be great.

Scrimshaw, Moore & Meek are solid

Outside of these players and Weddle the talent isn’t really there and that’s the disappointing thing because we have been irrelevant from 17 onwards outside of 2018

Interesting to compare this season to Clarkson’s second in charge (technically this is the second year in the Mitchell rebuild).

2006 we finished 11th with a record of 9-13, coming home strong to win the last 4 of the year. We had some big wins that year but were also thumped on multiple occasions (losses of 43, 53, 65, 70, 75 and 96).

So today’s loss taken in isolation is not as bad as it may look. But we are a long, long way from winning 9 games this year.

And if you compare it to Clarko’s third season in charge, well, it’s not even a competition.

Difference was the talent

This is Mitchells 3rd year of his rebuild.

He coached the last few games of 2021 when Clarko stepped down. Had strong input into list management and coached 22, 23, and now 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back