Review Round 7 (Part 1) - v Melbourne @ Coopers Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Only game two in our 4-game-condensed-block and we already appeared flat footed & sloppy. Too many are down on last year, Kelly's stifled, Gould's hesitant, S.Allan goes missing & Ponter's not getting into good positions.
Not too many signs of improvement so far. Randall's back to her best & Zoe Prowse keeps rising to the level of her bun! But phew. It's just too few at the moment.

We are singlehandedly dragging the standard of the competition down. The last two games were diabolical shitfests. Matthew Clarke being arrogant just allowing this disgusting spare in defense fest against us which makes it completely unwatchable. Should cop a ban for bringing the game into disrepute

I agree these ultra defensive shit fests are embarrassing and completely unwatchable.

1 goal in three and a half quarters of football is unacceptable and not going to be bring crowds through the gate.

Last edited:
Very hard to watch the game y/day

Kellie Underwood saying quality is down on poor ground conditions. Crowds, tv ratings and scoring down. The product has regressed - perhaps from the expansion to 18 teams?

Something needs to change / improve IMO as am sure many fans like myself are turning off a product we desperately want to succeed

Only game two in our 4-game-condensed-block and we already appeared flat footed & sloppy. Too many are down on last year, Kelly's stifled, Gould's hesitant, S.Allan goes missing & Ponter's not getting into good positions.
Not too many signs of improvement so far. Randall's back to her best & Zoe Prowse keeps rising to the level of her bun! But phew. It's just too few at the moment.
I actually think Eloise Jones is a massive out. Absolute gun player with skills, pace and hardness . We are really missing her

Think I'll give up watching this rubbish. 3 goals in a game! Better off watching soccer. At least the skills are decent.
The ball travels constantly from half back to half back. The concept of AFLW needs a rethink. Smaller grounds? Limits on flooding/extras at the back?

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think I'll give up watching this rubbish. 3 goals in a game! Better off watching soccer. At least the skills are decent.
The ball travels constantly from half back to half back. The concept of AFLW needs a rethink. Smaller grounds? Limits on flooding/extras at the back?

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
There is already a limit on numbers ie 16 on field so flooding should be limited

I think the gap between fitness and skills needs to be narrowed . Too many are fit enough to run up and down while the ball movement is slow and awkward at times

Someone mentioned we should now be seeing the 2016 10-12 yr olds coming through with more skills etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is already a limit on numbers ie 16 on field so flooding should be limited

I think the gap between fitness and skills needs to be narrowed . Too many are fit enough to run up and down while the ball movement is slow and awkward at times

Someone mentioned we should now be seeing the 2016 10-12 yr olds coming through with more skills etc

If they aren't going to adjust the rules, they need to offer a big cash incentive for high scoring to both players and coaches.

The financial reward for high scoring in every match should be bigger than the cash prize for winning the flag.

Maybe even put bonus premiership points on the line for meeting certain offensive gameplay criteria

If they aren't going to adjust the rules, they need to offer a big cash incentive for high scoring to both players and coaches.

The financial reward for high scoring in every match should be bigger than the cash prize for winning the flag.

Maybe even put bonus premiership points on the line for meeting certain offensive gameplay criteria
Until when?

I'm all for ideas but not a premiership boost.

I grew up when Sheffield shield had percentage points and it skewed results especially at a narrow Adelaide oval

Maybe a soft cap relief

Until when?

I'm all for ideas but not a premiership boost.

I grew up when Sheffield shield had percentage points and it skewed results especially at a narrow Adelaide oval

Maybe a soft cap relief

I think cash needs to go into the hands of players and coaches for scoring and making games an offense spectacle

The issue is teams prioritising wins over good gameplay, which leads to defensive scraps. I don't blame teams for doing that to win, but there needs to be a strong incentive not to.

I think with relatively low AFLW salaries a direct cash incentive would be effective

I'm still not a fan

How many shots on goal from 55-60 when a better option is inside? I think they negate team structures and team work. Happy to have a soft cap allowance for KPI incentives but not in game bonuses
No player is taking shots from 55-60 out. They aren't even taking shots from 40 out.

I think cash needs to go into the hands of players and coaches for scoring and making games an offense spectacle

The issue is teams prioritising wins over good gameplay, which leads to defensive scraps. I don't blame teams for doing that to win, but there needs to be a strong incentive not to.

I think with relatively low AFLW salaries a direct cash incentive would be effective

When my sided entered the comp we were all offense and no defense, it was very frustrating to watch and all the good teams were defensively pretty strong. I'd hate to go back to that.

I think this year Crows have been a bit off in terms of the connection between the midfield and the forwards, Crows have gone inside 50 more than my team has, 262 for vs 189 against and my side is 255 for vs 190 against. Crows scored 281 and we scored 392.

I think the bigger issue is that women just don't take a lot of marks from long high kicks inside the forward 50. Of your 262 inside 50s only 53 resulted in a mark in the forward 50 and unless you can get that within 30-40m area it is not going to result in a goal. My side used to just dump the ball a lot at the key forwards and it just isn't as efficient as it is for the men's version of the game. Out of our 255 I50s we only have 35 marks in the forward 50, but we have 38 goal assists vs 22 for the Crows.

I don't think you are getting enough out of the smaller forwards

Ponter has had 18 shots on goal for 8.6, Gould 18 for 7.8, Hatchard 9 for 4.4, Marinoff 9 for 3.4, Randall 5 for 3.1, Allan 4 for 2.2, Charlton 2 for 2.0, Jones 4 for 2.2, Kelly 4 for 2.1, Tonon 5 for 2.0, Biddell 2 for 1.1, Levy 1 for 1.0, Munyard 4 for 1.1 and Newman 3 for 1.2

We have had Randall 16 for 6.4, Shierlaw 12 for 8.3, O'Loughlin 17 for 7.8, Eddy 15 for 6.6, Garner 15 for 6.7, Martin 9 for 5.3, Wall 9 for 3.5, Riddell 7 for 5.1, King 6 for 4.0, Bruton 4 for 2.1, Craven 2 for 2.0, Gatt 1 for 1.0 and Pullar 1 for 1.0

I think our sides are fairly comparable in strength, I don't think there is a big difference between Crows, Lions or my side atm, form will waiver but I think one of these three will win the flag. I just think Crows need to tidy up the connection between the midfield and the forward line. I think in the two losses and the narrow win against the Saints you dominated for long periods but couldn't put the score on the board. It feels the skills/decision making has dropped off a bit from last year.

There shouldn't be the scoring differential between our two sides that currently exists.

I think the Crows' defensive game holds up whether they're playing the top sides or the bottom sides in the league. We don't seem to get blown away by big scores against pretty much anyone.

However, our offensive game is completely ineffective against top sides, or sides who are able to successfully flood our forward line.

Our two losing finals last year were by 1 point and 2 points. This year we've lost to Melbourne and Brisbane by 2 points each. We can absolutely compete with the top sides - but when push comes to shove, we've been found wanting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 7 (Part 1) - v Melbourne @ Coopers Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back