Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against the Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

While our effort this year has been better and more consistent we're still not running a there near enough. I think that even more so than skill will be the main improvement required to start winning these games. Hard to see with our senior players though.

And people want him moved forward. Heaven forbid what we would be losing by if he wasn't playing back.
I told someone at the game that moving Andrews forward would be an absolute low. Would go as far as to say it would be a pure tanking strategy.

NEAFL site working a bit better - Brisbane Best Players: R. Lester, J. Walker, R. Bewick, R. Bastinac, S. Mayes, C. Ballenden

Pretty much the senior guys impressing, top NEAFL players but just short of AFL players.
It's interesting to look at their AFL games this season:
Lester 5 Walker 4 Bewick 3 Mayes 4 Bastinac 1 Bell 1 Ballenden 0. Also Keays 0, C Beams 0, Mathieson 3. Cox 2.
I'm not sure they're short of being AFL players. Bastinac and Walker both earned their spots last year. I think we've underused our experience this year, a little. There's a myth that senior games are the only way to develop and it's not supported by the selection records of the top clubs. It's fine to send younger players back to the twos, and at least we've done it this year with Mathieson and Mayes.

86 tackles (Doggies 67) is one real positive, though also suggests we were 2nd to the ball too much.
One area I'd like to see a growth mindset in is smothers. They were markedly better at it than us... you have to get into position to smother and we don't seem to do it often enough. A number of their smothers resulted in goals. I'm sure we're working on it, and it's one part of the hard defensive running, tackling and pressure part of the game that we need to improve.

Imagine playing poorly but only losing by 14. They'd be kicking themselves for not playing their best when it counted most. Can it only go downhill from here after so many close losses? Almost feel like some players will eventually lose all hope of winning a game. :(
At the game i counted 8 goals directly from our turnovers. Heard on the radio 11 bulldogs goals from our turnovers. Don't know if this figure correct or not. Each game how many goals have we given away? Heaps. And we have been in so many of the games. Hopefully this composure will come and i think it will. Mistakes happen and hopefully over our journey these will diminish. We have thrown away games this year with our skill errors so is this a positive, what could have been and what will come?

Last night noticed a few more selfish acts last night where as you say maybe they are losing a bit of faith in each other. Rich lack of effort to put himself in the hole where the ball was kicked in the forward pocket cheersquad end and bulldogs scored a goal. Had to try and intercept and create a contest but refused to. A sign that not willing to commit for the team.
Berry running inside forward 50 cheersquad end with Hipwood 15 metres in front of his opponent heading towards goal square. All Berry had to do was chip ball to Hipwood certain goal running into goal square,went for goal and kicked point. 20 seconds later dragged of the ground. Simple things are what costs us. Hopefully one day ( hopefully sooner than later we may have that perfect game because some of our passages of play are exciting when we want to have a crack through the middle) .

Don't think we threw to many games away early on last year with our shit disposal or years before.
I will keep my faith.

This BuzzFeed articles (and large amounts of Buzzfeed) are scientifically based opinion.

To call Dweck’s science pseudoscience demonstrates a lack of scientific understanding.
https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/01...-teach-growth-mindset-but-its-based-on-a-lie/
Beames has had two good games,McCrae,on our team and we win.Our mids are among the worst in the comp,and much of the problem is Beames.

Fagan is very plausible in everything, except selection and match day.Eagles at Etihad !!! And every game starts disorganised, poor in the centre square...Beames,and giving starts we cannot overcome.We will be serious inmmy book,When Beames is not captain and not in the square Richand Christenson are dropped,and we stop wasting time on list cloggers...Lester back next

How do you know Blakey is a good game day coach....lots of this stuff is loose,Agree totally on mid tier group ,a . introverted ,lacklustre group would be hard to find.The sooner Hodge takes over the better
I think Blakey’s apprenticeship under some highly successful practitioners of the Coaching Arts would see him ready to walk into a role as a Senior Coach. Also I like him a lot. Gun footballer at Fitzroy and North. A real junkyard dog. Just what we need at Brisbane.

Had enough of this bullshit written by so called Brisbane Lions Supporters. More than half of you suck big. With supporters such as yourselves, our players list should all be looking to leave as soon as they can....anywhere where supporters dont pile crap on their heads while busting their guts to improve & learn. Time for a break me thinks.

They're lucky we're not leaving. They're paid a fortune to do a job. Some of the players seem like they only show up for their paycheck to head to golf on Wednesday.

Any criticism of Hodge is totally unwarranted. Our backline is the reason we have been in all of these close games. Individually most of the players in the backline are not playing as well as they did last season but as a unit they have improved at great deal. Most of this improvement can be explained through the inclusion of Hodge. Cutler started to show some glimpses of his undoubted(at least by me)ability. It is obvious teams are putting a lot of time and effort into shutting Hippy down and I have enjoyed Mcstay and The Big O starting to take a few pack marks. We just need to make the most of our opportunities and we will start winning games. Go Lions!

Again, a scientifically based opinion piece.
To call Dweck’s work pseudoscience is a gross misinterpretation.
It’s wild application and endorsement is indeed questionable, but pseudoscience it is not.
The absence of any meaningful peer reviewed studies that have replicated her claims suggests otherwise.

All the rave reviews that Jack Darling is getting this year got me thinking about our key position players, Darling is now 25 with some now calling him the best CHF in the competition, he has copped some fearful bagging over the years even from his own clubs supporters. We need to stay the course with these young guys.

Daniel McStay (22 years old), Eric Hipwood (20), Harris Andrews (21), Darcy Gardner (22).

These blokes are extremely young when it comes to key position posts, they are all still 3-4 years off their best years even starting. BTW how bloody good is Harris for his age and a KPD.

Should have gone upstairs to the Indie Temple. Better music and more “interesting” women.

Always an interesting night up there. Would oscillate between the best night out and getting my lights punched out. Was like a raffle that place. And for some reason filled with women from the Northside. God damn next day cab fares

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, a scientifically based opinion piece.
To call Dweck’s work pseudoscience is a gross misinterpretation.
It’s wild application and endorsement is indeed questionable, but pseudoscience it is not.
‘Growth Mindset’ is right up there with Howard Gardiner’s ‘Multiple Intelligences’ and De Bono’s ‘Thinking Hats’ when it comes to GREAT PSYCHOBABBLE BANDWAGONS I HAVE SEEN IN EDUCATION. What will they think of next?

Had some interesting perspectives from some supporters of other clubs at junior footy games over the last few days.

They all think the the Lions are clearly heading in the right direction, developing good talent and in several cases quite envious of our potential compared to their own clubs. In fact most people were quite surprised that Lions fans would be anything other than thrilled at the improvement. Disappointed with the narrow losses, yes, but thrilled with what is growing.

Several people added that Brisbane in 2018 reminds them of [insert team here] just before they began to rise up to the top.

Several people added that Brisbane in 2018 reminds them of [insert team here] just before they began to rise up to the top.

University? :D

If you’re 0-8 do you reckon you’d be out clubbing and getting sloppy to the point you’ve spilt beer down yourself and gotten cut off from the bar? Not sure we’ll ever escape mediocrity with that sort of thing. This is one of our starting defenders who was out with at least 2 other best 22 players the state of who I can’t confirm

If you’re 0-8 do you reckon you’d be out clubbing and getting sloppy to the point you’ve spilt beer down yourself and gotten cut off from the bar? Not sure we’ll ever escape mediocrity with that sort of thing. This is one of our starting defenders who was out with at least 2 other best 22 players the state of who I can’t confirm
I would hope this is false.I wouldnt begrudge anyone a couple of beers but not to the point of being cut off.With team mates present you would think they wouldnt let anyone get to this point.

“Drowning one’s sorrows” syndrome might be a distinct possibility.

Although I will admit the absence of any meaningful peer reviewed studies that have replicated my claims suggests otherwise.

“Drowning one’s sorrows” syndrome might be a distinct possibility.

Although I will admit the absence of any meaningful peer reviewed studies that have replicated my claims suggests otherwise.
2EFA98AE-24D8-4F29-B7DD-52E8409E26F9.jpeg

I would hope this is false.I wouldnt begrudge anyone a couple of beers but not to the point of being cut off.With team mates present you would think they wouldnt let anyone get to this point.

Would never begrudge anyone a few beers, posted here during preseason about getting a photo with a couple of the boys at Falls Festival where they were behaving but relaxed, but being cut-off level of sloppiness just a few hours after an 8th consecutive loss is not on - especially for a guy who just last year signed a new contract that presumably was worth a decent amount

I'm wondering if the players are shown (in a group) these other games in full, by the better teams and why they are there...eg Hawks/Swans the other night and this game today between North/Tiges..

They could then discuss as a group, anything they see for improvement, how to achieve that ability to get to where the other teams are, what it takes etc....

Any little thing that helps I'm all for, no matter how out of left field. Something different.

..but don't forget those goals at training!;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 8, 2018 - Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions

Back