Preview Round 8, 2023: North Melbourne v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 7th May, 4:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Kangaroos

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 65 89.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t think they made Chicko Rolls anymore, I would check the use by date although they might have been before the use by date became a thing lol .
I had one couple of weeks ago, as it was least dried-up looking thing in the servo takeaway section- first time in years..and it had that unmistakable taste.

Cordy will be dropped when better players are available, regardless of what role he's been asked to play. Are you going to play Cordy in front of Max king?
Don’t think it is too bad of an idea to leave chordy out and bring billings in. Phillipou has been training deep all week. Maybe that’s there plan

If the coaching staff are telling Cordy that its OK if you only get one possession in the role we want you to play Bassat should sack them all right now.

He's tall so takes a tall defender out. We have Owens and Membrey at the moment so have not much to replace him with until Hammer and King get back.

If the coaching staff are telling Cordy that its OK if you only get one possession in the role we want you to play Bassat should sack them all right now.
Training report. Lyon asks players to train the way they play. Owens Steele and Crouch go to the tacking dummies. Billings runs flat out outside the boundary fence.
Hayes and DMac go off to rehab centre and......
Cordy trots to the attacking behind post, demolishes 2 Chico rolls and smashes 4 dummies let's rip a fart that a Rotweiler or Barrels would be proud of and ensuring no player can get within 10m of him without melting from the foul stenching emission. Cordy chuckles to himself and thinks....and they thought Dogs got rid of me because I couldn't handle my drinks....

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

On a serious note

Billings in for Pou as he needs a break to get ready for Ade.

Rip the Bandaid.....King for Cordy who is the sub

Rest NWM with corckie and play Windy in the guts...move HC to back flank....swapping on ball.

You know it makes sense.

Cordy will be dropped when better players are available, regardless of what role he's been asked to play. Are you going to play Cordy in front of Max king?
We are in furious greement and you make another point that seems to get lost on some and thst is the quality of the list doesn't give too much flexibility for choice at selection time, in fact there is zero choice at the moment. So it's been amusing listening to the "drop him" brigade.

I'd say Hayes was probably the most likely replacement and it doesn't look like he's getting on the park anytime soon so expect Cordy to keep getting a game.

And not to make too fine a point of it, the quality of list is still a long way from being capable of challenging as was the overwhelming consensus before R1 and nothing's really changed despite the unexpected performance in the first 7 rounds.

Selection is restricted by the depth of quality on the list and the injury crisis, despite this Lyon has to protect his selection integrity that go to the heart of his primary "systems" based coaching mantra. If he deviates from that just 1mm EVEN during an injury crisis then he loses the locker room within a matter of weeks.

We are in furious greement and you make another point that seems to get lost on some and thst is the quality of the list doesn't give too much flexibility for choice at selection time, in fact there is zero choice at the moment. So it's been amusing listening to the "drop him" brigade.

I'd say Hayes was probably the most likely replacement and it doesn't look like he's getting on the park anytime soon so expect Cordy to keep getting a game.

And not to make too fine a point of it, the quality of list is still a long way from being capable of challenging as was the overwhelming consensus before R1 and nothing's really changed despite the unexpected performance in the first 7 rounds.

I was responding to you saying this

So Lyon who is the "systems" coach asks a player to sacrifice his game to play a very specific role then drops that player - what does it do for selection integrity - it shatters the players understanding of what Lyon stands for.

I'm saying it doesn't do anything to selection integrity if he asks a player to do a role, then drops that player because he wants to bring someone else in.

Performing a role doesn't guarantee you a spot. It might improve your chances, but you're not owed anything. It's team first.

So not sure how we're in "furious agreement" lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Lyon who is the "systems" coach asks a player to sacrifice his game to play a very specific role then drops that player - what does it do for selection integrity - it shatters the players understanding of what Lyon stands for.

I'm saying it doesn't do anything to selection integrity if he asks a player to do a role, then drops that player because he wants to bring someone else in.

Performing a role doesn't guarantee you a spot. It might improve your chances, but you're not owed anything. It's team first.

So Lyon the "systems" and "role" coach drops a player for carrying out instructions.

Would lose his players overnight.

Moreover Lyon has been winning games with Cordy playing his role. So while Lyon has restrictions at the selection table he has limited options, he could modify the role to suit another player or ask Cordy to adapt to a role change because he doesn't have other players he feels would improve his "system".

There obviously isn't any AFL grade players at Sandy who can either play the role OR who have trained it.

So Lyon the "systems" and "role" coach drops a player for carrying out instructions.

Moreover Lyon has been winning games with Cordy playing his role. So while Lyon has restrictions at the selection table he has limited options, he could modify the role to suit another player or ask Cordy to adapt to a role change because he doesn't have other players he feels would improve his "system".

There obviously isn't any AFL grade players at Sandy who can either play the role OR who have trained it.

His role might not be needed, depending on who you bring in. Have King, Caminiti, and Membery in there, and things will be tweaked.

Cordy's role was probably just a stop gap.

I'm thinking about going along to this one with GA access as part of my membership.

Does anyone know if GA access is only Level 3?

Or is there a L1 section that is GA (not standing).
Might be some GA on L1 at the saints end. Depends on how many they think are going to shoe up

The basis of the whole “train the way you play” argument is silly because we’ve literally just seen in the last game Wood playing as a tall forward due to Cordy being subbed out (presumably for being an on field spectator).
Replacing Cordy with someone who might be doing wing or ruck at training at the moment isn’t going to cause an all out riot in the locker rooms.

We have not been winning games in the last 3 weeks. Cordy forward worked for a while and has now stopped working. There is a reason he gets subbed out ahead of 21 other players.

He was not recruited for a forward role... totally understandable that he gets dropped to make way for an upgrade whomever that may be.

Owens a second year player is giving more so was Caminti than Cordy. Someone has to make way for King so Cordy is the obvious choice...irrespective of whether he is sacrificing himself for the team.

The team want to win games full stop. Ask them do they want selection integrity or the best possible chance to win....I know what they will say.

I would even play Billings ahead of Cordy....with instructions for no long entries into fwd 50. Remember RTB said this team is very coachable.

Yeah, nah.

Players are pretty pragmatic about selection as long as they're getting picked. You seriously reckon Ross will face a mutiny if he drops Cordy? Zlugger looks pretty popular amongst the group but I'm sure he & the rest of the group know he's probably in the last few selected every week.

The system you keep referring to isn't based on rigid roles across 18 positions. Cordy's role thus far has mainly been to create contests & not let opposition talls take uncontested marks. He's done that pretty well but that doesn't mean Lyon can't or won't don't adjust that specific role (which has happened every time Cordy has been subbed out).

Agree with the above, I reckon even Cordy himself would acknowledge that there is no role for him in the forward half once King is available. He should go back to training/playing as a key back as he would then be first in line for an opportunity should anything happen to one of our defenders.

I think Windhager either needs to play a full game or play VFL. Otherwise too many weeks as the sub. Would prefer Billings or Pou as the sub given their ability to make things happen offensively.

Pou is going to have ups and downs but unless he's needing a rest physically, his development will continue to accelerate by playing in the AFL as many weeks as possible. Would almost prefer to 'carry' him a bit to keep getting games into him and then we get the pay off in 2024/25. It worked for Cyril Rioli at the Hawks in 08.

I know they have said Max King will play against Adelaide but if he is ready why not give him a game against North? Im not suggesting it will be soft game but you would think it would be a lessor intensity. That would give him a game to get going and be more prepared for the Adelaide away game. Play him for 3/4 then sub him out if he is blowing. RTB said he has done more work than Membrey, so pull the trigger Sainters!

As great as our coaching has been this year I believe it has been unrealistic to ask Steele to play 100% midfield after coming back from the injury he had. I wonder why they didnt consider rotating him through a HFF position just to take some pressure off him?

Last week highlighted how similiar our 3 main mids are (Steele, Crouch, Ross) and how they & Clark were exposed against the more mobile midfielders. Some how we need to get a full games into Windhager, I get the feeling he is ready to take off. If it means we start Phillipou as the sub we need to develop Windy's midfield game, to give us something different this season. Phillipou will get plenty of chances as he develops. That would allow us to rotate Windhager with one of the 3 mids across HFF.

Last edited:
Play him for 3/4 then sub him out if
Issue with that is if you give him a strict TOG% to keep him to with the plan to sub him out it gets all out of whack if someone is injured before that point. Ross doesn't seem to be taking any team lightly, so unless they are confident King is a 100% match fitness guy I don't think he gets picked.

Agree with the above, I reckon even Cordy himself would acknowledge that there is no role for him in the forward half once King is available. He should go back to training/playing as a key back as he would then be first in line for an opportunity should anything happen to one of our defenders.

I think Windhager either needs to play a full game or play VFL. Otherwise too many weeks as the sub. Would prefer Billings or Pou as the sub given their ability to make things happen offensively.

Pou is going to have ups and downs but unless he's needing a rest physically, his development will continue to accelerate by playing in the AFL as many weeks as possible. Would almost prefer to 'carry' him a bit to keep getting games into him and then we get the pay off in 2024/25. It worked for Cyril Rioli at the Hawks in 08.
Can't ***** stand using kids as the sub, Billings or Pato are plenty suitable if we have the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back