Review Round 8, 2023 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of things to like about our team at the moment but you can't help but feel flat watching this team.

Teakle tries hard but we can't pick him as "an extra midfielder" if he's getting 7 touches, none of which occur inside the centre square. He's a young ruckman who needs time, it's bizarre that we've thrown him to the wolves like this.

We've got young jets all over the ground. Our Brownlow medallist from 18 months ago is 4th banana in the midfield. Bergman is becoming more reliable every week. DBJ's style works well in the forward line and that move is paying off. The 3 KPF rotation is brilliant, elite and versatile.

We just need to stay switched on and fix some glaring errors. Hard to be confident we'll do that.

Been a big part of our wins this season, so yeah it will hurt when he is rubbed out.
I reckon he has been one way piss for the whole season. He can be so much better.

We can sit here and criticise Teakle, but Finlayson took 22 ruck contests for zero hitouts today.
Sure but Finlayson isnt our ****ing first choice ruck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PAFC should have been up by 7 goals when the siren sounded, lucky to win in the end, we must take all our opportunities to be a threat against the good teams.

Plenty of things to like about our team at the moment but you can't help but feel flat watching this team.

Teakle tries hard but we can't pick him as "an extra midfielder" if he's getting 7 touches, none of which occur inside the centre square. He's a young ruckman who needs time, it's bizarre that we've thrown him to the wolves like this.

We've got young jets all over the ground. Our Brownlow medallist from 18 months ago is 4th banana in the midfield. Bergman is becoming more reliable every week. DBJ's style works well in the forward line and that move is paying off. The 3 KPF rotation is brilliant, elite and versatile.

We just need to stay switched on and fix some glaring errors. Hard to be confident we'll do that.
DBJ has bee great at half forward. Plenty of desperation to win the ball back and less damaging to us when he does his usual clangers.

I have no basis for this and maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that Teakle was selected over Hayes due to professionalism.
From what I gather, Hayes was dropped last year for being unable to run out a game and his lack of fitness. For him to then spend his holidays choofing durries in Bali I think says a lot about the guys mentality and to me it looks like he's taking his career for granted. You only have a small amount of time at AFL level, you'd think if you were lucky enough to have the opportunity you'd want to make the most of it. Smoke all you want after your career is finished, or put up performances that show it doesn't make a difference.

I could be completely wrong but that's my theory.

Your claims that I was replying to were you arguing he isn’t doing anything at the magpies to force his selection.

Now you’re making a different argument… and it’s purely a bunch of suppositions.

He covered the ground well enough to get to ruck contests last year, and did as well as any ruck historically does at that age (none of them lead the ruck at the age he did, they’re all 2nd rucks building fitness)

As I’ve always put forth, all the evidence says Hinkley doesn’t pick him cause he’s not midfieldery enough

Your talking to much sense, doesn’t fit in well here

Why do you think we kick so inaccurately every week and other teams don't seem to? Why do you think it's been going on for a decade, despite the list completely turning over in that time? Are we just unlucky?

Why do you think we kick so inaccurately every week and other teams don't seem to? Why do you think it's been going on for a decade, despite the list completely turning over in that time? Are we just unlucky?
We should sack Schulz for even offering to help.

DBJ has bee great at half forward. Plenty of desperation to win the ball back and less damaging to us when he does his usual clangers.

Yep, still hits the contest hard but if he fumbles it doesn't cost us. He knows where the goals are as well. A much better option than Jones was in the same role.

I think in contrast to other incidents this season, like the McAdam or Pickett incidents, the Rioli one was not particularly violent. He didn't hit him with any real force it was just unlucky.

I think that does put him in a better position to argue that the impact was high and not severe.
Rioli just a victim of Ridley being an absolute glassjaw. Shiel hit Rozee harder than that and Rozee got straight back up.

I know it wasn’t the best win but this team is showing it can regain control in games.

Conversion is another issue.

Jonas has to be done. Teakle will stay in until Gawn and Grundy mince him into paste and their hand will be forced to go to Finlayson and bring in another small.

We got torched in the centre but won the stoppage clearances.

Really the question with Teakle is whether he adds enough around the ground to counteract the fact that he is getting demolished in the centre.

Hayes will certainly perform better in the centre. He might do nothing else for the game, but he will not got torched like Teakle did today in the middle.

They pulled Teakle today so I think they will consider making a change next week. But I reckon most likely is that they just go back to Finlayson ruck lol
We lost the centre clearances against Essendon with Hayes rucking by 10 last year (4-14). And this was with Hayes winning taps.

We lost the centre clearances by 10 (9-19) this year, despite not winning hit outs.

Both games we won the stoppages clearances by 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 8, 2023 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back