Review Gather Round 2024 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with almost all of this. I’m getting frustrated though with Bergman on the wing. Even ignoring his possession counts, which are lowish, I’m not seeing much impact from him so far this year, either as a link man between the arcs, as an extra sweeper getting back into defence, or an offensive weapon. He was so much better last year across HB.
Yeah, I'm also concerned with Bergman's form and also think that he is better when the play is in front of him, that is, across half back.

Mind you, if he comes to grips playing on the wing, he will be some weapon there and as the game wore on against Essendon, his confidence started picking up.

I don't think he can displace Houston or Burton in their positions but it maybe worth trying to play him deeper in the role that Jones plays.

By the way, I've tried to read all the posts in this review thread and I'm sorry if I missed it but no one has mentioned Rioli I think. William was magnificent, absolutely f*****g magnificent in every quarter of the game.

His centre clearance work was insanely good. Lets hope he can show this against the good sides too, as centre clearance was a major issue for us in finals last year. Helps having a ruckman like Soldo, he doesn't have elite traits like a Max Gawn but he has the ability to at least provide a genuine contest, which we didn't have for a lot of last year. Lycett had a strong heart but his body was shot, Soldo seems fresh and moves around the ground well.
I reckon our players are roving much better to Soldo now. It's taken a few games but they are starting to get in tune with one another. Soldo does enough in the ruck for our standout rovers to get their hands on the ball and they are reading him, and he them, much better.

The same goes for Ratugolea, Zerk-Thatcher and Aliir. They have taken a little while to "bed in", so to speak, but they look like they now know what each other is up too and they form one fantastic back three. If Jones can get it together and get his confidence up, then the "killers" in the back line will be formidable.

What I don't get, is when we're losing a game and lose the free kick count it's always "X team were first to the ball so port were always going to give away frees". But we dominate a game like that and still get blasted in free kick count. We just never seem to win the 50/50 calls
That's the hatred that Port has copped for over 150 years but you are right, it does make you wonder why umpires generally favour the opposition in 50/50 calls.

Yeah, I'm also concerned with Bergman's form and also think that he is better when the play is in front of him, that is, across half back.

Mind you, if he comes to grips playing on the wing, he will be some weapon there and as the game wore on against Essendon, his confidence started picking up.

I don't think he can displace Houston or Burton in their positions but it maybe worth trying to play him deeper in the role that Jones plays.

By the way, I've tried to read all the posts in this review thread and I'm sorry if I missed it but no one has mentioned Rioli I think. William was magnificent, absolutely f*****g magnificent in every quarter of the game.
Rioli was exceptional. I remember praising him in the game day thread. He and DBJ both.

Power's recruiting spree has clearly made them better​

Port Adelaide went on a club record 13-game winning streak last season and finished in the top four before its finals fallout. But the Power haven't rested on that and are a better team in 2024. It's only a month into their season but Ken Hinkley's men are 3-1 and that one defeat came at the hands of Melbourne, despite Port dominating the game. Their midfield rout of Essendon on Friday night said enough and all three of their gamebreakers in there – Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Jason Horne-Francis – are only getting better. But they've also been aided by the recruitment of big and strong ruckman Ivan Soldo, while Esava Ratugolea has showed his worth early in the season and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher has had an under-the-radar strong start to life at his second club. All were scouted with job descriptions in mind and all are meeting the requirements. - Callum Twomey

That's the type of win I wish we could see almost 15 times a season every year.

69 isn't a massive margin but strangling the opposition into only giving 6 goals is a fantastic defensive effort and exactly what we need with all the KPDs we got in.

The GOOD -
  • Rozee an early AA captain contender
  • JHF with his first 30+ disposal game
  • Tall forwards all bounced back after a weak game last week, especially Finlayson, kudos to him.
  • Houston was wearing his opponent the whole night and always played in front.
  • Georgie is back!
  • 8 in a row against this mob. If we were going to have a bunny team I would have other preferences but against this mob isn't the worst deal.

The BAD -
  • Just the usual. Lachie Jones still has the worst marking ability on our entire list but at least he isn't a turnover guru to the extent of Bonner or Pittard.
  • Another average Mac & Cheese game but I thought h at least did 1 or 2 nice things I guess
  • Never let Charlie Dixon kick for goal again. Take the big marks and hand it off to the better set shots from now on please

The UGLY-
- Only our opposition. Generally thought it was going to be a close shootout. My god they are such a defensively hopeless club. Not sure what Xavier saw in them. Just an even more depressing version of modern Port. As least we've won a final and don't flex our 16 flags in dead rubber games against Carlton.

On a side note, did anyone else notice Adrian Dodoro walking around Rundle mall yesterday? I had to hold the urge not to talk sh!t so bad XD
  • Just the usual. Lachie Jones still has the worst marking ability on our entire list but at least he isn't a turnover guru to the extent of Bonner or Pittard.
Beg to differ. Jones is very average in all aspects.

Whilst he hasn't set the world alight, he's been perfectly serviceable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was right near the interchange box on Friday night, which game a different persepctive to my usual higher up view, which I found interesting.

I also noted before the game Laura Kane out on the ground just next to our box with her mobile phone up taking a 360 degree video of the crowd during NTUA. She seemed somewhat blown away by it based on her interactions with the person she was with.

Bergman is playing the wing role is this port set up well
It's just a graveyard of a role
Amon is the only player who's been able to play it effectively for us in a decade, and we let him go for peanuts.

Only just got the chance to watch the replay of the match. A few have commented on the footage of Ken having a 'chat' to Butters on the bench after Zak made a blunder on the field. Whatever it was that Ken said and whatever you take from analysing Zak's facial expressions, the best fit of footage was where Drew put a hand out and gave Zak an encouraging pat on the knee after Ken finished.

Burton can go AWOL when the chips are down, he has to do more than run forward for a shot on goal.
Bergman provides flexabilty for swapping the magnets around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back