Review Round 8 v Collingwood at Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

That Marinoff & Hatchard dynamic duo really did just do it again for the team, really liked Hatchard’s game today thought she was the one to settle things early.

Gould again superb, her movement without the ball has been very good in recent weeks & really liked what Thompson provided around contests today, they were next best for mine. Levy was good hitting the scoreboard in the 2nd half and thought Biddell in the first half was really important before everything dried up in the Crows defensive half and wasn’t really needed post-halftime.

Not all glowing unfortunately as I thought there were some players that just didn’t look up for it today, Ponter again looked like she couldn’t have been less interested in today’s match and was abysmal again especially around the ball, Martin also bar a few efforts in the 3rd was back to her worst and Sarah Allan has become a no impact player.

Collingwood while hopeless at the moment were able to keep the score down due to again exposing the Crows lack of pace especially around contests and across the Crows half-forward line, their speed advantage meant they were able to tackle and pressure the Crows players into lots of spillages and fumbles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A win and a close to 50 point one at that (when it looked likely to be a 15 point win). That’s what we needed, that’s what we did. Opposition coaches are ****ing stupid. Can’t win a game if you can’t score. Next week will be interesting. Hope Chelsea is ok to play.

Love the effort of our players, but hate the game style. No chance we beat the best teams.
Not surprising really, we have to fall away, especially given it's been a State based draft Port have been handed all the best youngsters over the past few years.

I wouldn't say we've fallen away. I think we're still clearly in the best 2-3 teams in the comp, and have combined losing margins of 4 points over two matches this year. We're well off North, but so is everyone else. I'd say we're roughly as good as Brisbane, and well ahead of other sides in the top 8.

Our defence was again exceptional, our midfield solid, and our forward line a bit disappointing. Story of our season (and the last few seasons at that) but good enough to get it done comfortably against the bottom side. We got an armchair ride from the umpires, although that 50m penalty that gave Bonnici a goal was a shocker.

It's nice to see Levy turn into a genuine goalkicking option. She's really established herself in the team now! For what she lacks in pace, she makes up in smarts.

I've been a vocal whinger about Randall as a forward, but I think we might need her down there. At least she can actually kick a long ball! And she adds in marking prowess, tackle pressure, and a never-say-die attitude. I've loved what she's done this season playing all over the ground, but I think it's now time to settle her down into a position. Do we put her up forward to try and add some potency to our flagging forward line, or do we plonk her behind the ball and back ourselves to prevent teams from scoring?

Gould was pretty damn good as a lead-up forward, although I do get disappointed by her second efforts at time if she doesn't mark it. Hard to complain when your key forward marks the ball 8 times and kicks 3 goals, though!

We desperately need to work out how to get Ponter into the game. At this stage, I'd swap her with Randall and just play her as a permanent midfielder for a while.

I also can't help but wonder if we'd get more out of Sarah Allan as a forward. Although perhaps we'll need her down back against the top teams? What she's doing at the moment is really not working. She's gone back to her "floating in the middle of the ground doing not much" role from 2017. If they're not going to put her forward, and they're not going to put Randall back, then just let her be a loose down back, she excels at that role.

Marinoff, a star again. Only 7 tackles this week but put on a heap of pressure, and her third quarter was immense. Great to see Hatchard play some of her best footy of the year, as well. Biddell and Prowse, fantastic again.

Shame about Boyle-Carr's shank on goal, but I like what she brings. I think she's really got something, great tackle technique for someone so new to the game and she really backs her pace. Kelly had a decent game as well, outside of that HTB in the first 30 seconds where she showed no awareness at all.

In theory, we have Ballard and Allen to squeeze back into the side. I reckon Kustermann goes out for Ballard, and Tonon for Allen.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say we've fallen away. I think we're still clearly in the best 2-3 teams in the comp, and have combined losing margins of 4 points over two matches this year. We're well off North, but so is everyone else. I'd say we're roughly as good as Brisbane, and well ahead of other sides in the top 8.

Our defence was again exceptional, our midfield solid, and our forward line a bit disappointing. Story of our season (and the last few seasons at that) but good enough to get it done comfortably against the bottom side. We got an armchair ride from the umpires, although that 50m penalty that gave Bonnici a goal was a shocker.

It's nice to see Levy turn into a genuine goalkicking option. She's really established herself in the team now! For what she lacks in pace, she makes up in smarts.

I've been a vocal whinger about Randall as a forward, but I think we might need her down there. At least she can actually kick a long ball! And she adds in marking prowess, tackle pressure, and a never-say-die attitude. I've loved what she's done this season playing all over the ground, but I think it's now time to settle her down into a position. Do we put her up forward to try and add some potency to our flagging forward line, or do we plonk her behind the ball and back ourselves to prevent teams from scoring?

Gould was pretty damn good as a lead-up forward, although I do get disappointed by her second efforts at time if she doesn't mark it. Hard to complain when your key forward marks the ball 8 times and kicks 3 goals, though!

We desperately need to work out how to get Ponter into the game. At this stage, I'd swap her with Randall and just play her as a permanent midfielder for a while.

I also can't help but wonder if we'd get more out of Sarah Allan as a forward. Although perhaps we'll need her down back against the top teams? What she's doing at the moment is really not working. She's gone back to her "floating in the middle of the ground doing not much" role from 2017. If they're not going to put her forward, and they're not going to put Randall back, then just let her be a loose down back, she excels at that role.

Marinoff, a star again. Only 7 tackles this week but put on a heap of pressure, and her third quarter was immense. Great to see Hatchard play some of her best footy of the year, as well. Biddell and Prowse, fantastic again.

Shame about Boyle-Carr's shank on goal, but I like what she brings. I think she's really got something, great tackle technique for someone so new to the game and she really backs her pace. Kelly had a decent game as well, outside of that HTB in the first 30 seconds where she showed no awareness at all.

In theory, we have Ballard and Allen to squeeze back into the side. I reckon Kustermann goes out for Ballard, and Tonon for Allen.
Nicely Said!👏

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 8 v Collingwood at Victoria Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back