Review Round 9 v North Melbourne @ Coopers Stadium (Norwood)

Remove this Banner Ad

In the end, it's Ponter 3 goals, Gould 1 goal just like in the prelim last year.

Much like the matches against Brisbane and Melbourne, we are good enough to have won that match... but we didn't. In those tight moments, we're not finding ways to come up trumps. Missing easy set shots, fumbling loose balls, dropping marks at the worst moments. We're creating opportunities to win, but not taking them.

What it does mean is that we have some upside going into the finals. Several of those misses were not difficult shots. Convert them when it counts, and we can push North and any other team.

But history is not on our side when it comes to those clutch moments.

The North and Lions losses were total tactical f**k ups from the Coach.

They’ll use the goalkicking as a an excuse for this one like the Melbourne loss but North won this through the inept planning, and horrible forward line & stoppage setups.

Stoppage setups, I'll concede, especially in that last quarter. But the reality is, we generated plenty of shots on goal, and proper ones too, not 10% chances from 45m out or scrubber kicks that are always going to get spoiled on the line. Actual shots on goal that should be converted more often than not.

At the end of the day, 4.9 which included four shots from Ponter within 20m and three Gould set shots within 30m from directly in front is just not good enough.

The North and Lions losses were total tactical f**k ups from the Coach.

They’ll use the goalkicking as an excuse for this one like the Melbourne loss but North won this through the inept planning, and horrible forward line & stoppage setups.

I reckon we aren't putting the work in.

Our skills are really bad this year. We've always struggled with some of the fundamentals like marking but far out, this entire season it's like we haven't touched a football under pressure for years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the end, it's Ponter 3 goals, Gould 1 goal just like in the prelim last year.

Much like the matches against Brisbane and Melbourne, we are good enough to have won that match... but we didn't. In those tight moments, we're not finding ways to come up trumps. Missing easy set shots, fumbling loose balls, dropping marks at the worst moments. We're creating opportunities to win, but not taking them.

What it does mean is that we have some upside going into the finals. Several of those misses were not difficult shots. Convert them when it counts, and we can push North and any other team.

But history is not on our side when it comes to those clutch moments.
North also kicked at least two right out of their arse.

Why can't we do that?

FFS.

Why was Marinoff off the field for so long in the 4th? Right in the period where North just turned it into a scrum for 5 minutes. Right when... she should have been in there.

I reckon we aren't putting the work in.

Our skills are really bad this year. We've always struggled with some of the fundamentals like marking but far out, this entire season it's like we haven't touched a football under pressure for years

For me, I think it's a lack of players who can actually kick the ball when it counts.

How many times did North get the ball 45m out and just kick it through the goals. Yes, we had nobody on the line, but that's besides the point. How many players in a Crows guernsey can make that kick reliably? Most of them can't even make that distance.

It's not just North. Most sides in the league have several players up forward or through the midfield who can reliably kick a goal from 45m. We have maaaybe Randall.

Stoppage setups, I'll concede, especially in that last quarter. But the reality is, we generated plenty of shots on goal, and proper ones too, not 10% chances from 45m out or scrubber kicks that are always going to get spoiled on the line. Actual shots on goal that should be converted more often than not.

At the end of the day, 4.9 which included four shots from Ponter within 10m and three Gould set shots within 30m from directly in front is just not good enough.
3 players generated shots on goal, that’s not a functioning forward line setup, until that changes it’ll just continue to be results exactly like this.

Opinion on umpiring

1 was very good (she had 1 bad call....... which handed us a goal)
9 was good (missed some minor stuff but overall was good)
4 was terrible (paid those ticky touch stuff half the time, and it went about 75/25 their ways)

End of the day. Had no affect on the game

Zoe prowse's lack of composure was more damaging. Shame. She's very skilled and great more often than not, but felt she cracked under the pressure today.

We're obviously the 2nd best team in the comp, but we do have an Achilles heel, teams like port adelaide/North Melbourne Tasmania play to this. Other teams like Melbourne/St kilda identify it and try and exploit it but fall into our lap (we would've beaten Melbourne if it wasn't for the umpiring)

End of the day, this game was probably a dead rubber were almost certainly playing North Melbourne Tasmania in week 1 of the finals either way, was just whether it was 1st vs 4th or 2nd vs 3rd

Probably better to lose. Don't anger the beast.

3 players generated shots on goal, that’s not a functioning forward line setup, until that changes it’ll just continue to be results exactly like this.

I mean, it would be great if there were more players generating set shots, but we still generated more than enough quality shots to beat the undefeated top side. Which tells me that most aspects of our game held up to the highest pressure situation we could possibly face this year - but not the most important one.

Charlton not put into the middle until the start of the last quarter and they get 2 goals from the middle straight away.

Absolute poo coaching.

I wasn't happy with Charlton tonight. She seemed to fumble almost every ball she went towards. Normally she's among the cleanest players in our side. She had -7 metres gained tonight. She actually lost meterage over the match.

That said, if she's not playing to her normal standard, moving her to a different position would be a good way to kickstart her.

One thing I also noticed today and Melbourne did it too. The way the clock runs. It allows a team to kill the clock when defending a lead with repeat stoppages

It's not like you're killing 5sec or 0.5% of a quarter every stoppage like in the mens game where you need 200 stoppages. You're killing 15sec or close to 2% of a quarter every stoppage where you only need 70 stoppages.

North Melbourne Tasmania and Melbourne before them bled the clock dry to defend the leads in the last quarters.

Waterhouse with their usual game, where they looked like they were going to do something, but didn't actually do anything. Two kicks, one mark, one tackle, no score. Simply not good enough, although admittedly it was with very low TOG.

Quite a few players had very low TOG today. Martin with 53%, Levy with 44%, Waterhouse with 42%, Boyle-Carr with 35%??? Why would you keep a player off the ground for 2/3 of the match? I think some of her family was still down to watch the game as well, they would have barely gotten to see her.

Last edited:
One thing I also noticed today and Melbourne did it too. The way the clock runs. It allows a team to kill the clock when defending a lead with repeat stoppages

It's not like you're killing 5sec or 0.5% of a quarter every stoppage like in the mens game where you need 200 stoppages. You're killing 15sec or close to 2% of a quarter every stoppage where you only need 70 stoppages.

North Melbourne Tasmania and Melbourne before them bled the clock dry to defend the leads in the last quarters.

Shame we didn't manage to do this against Brisbane when we were two goals up with only minutes to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 9 v North Melbourne @ Coopers Stadium (Norwood)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back