Review Round 9 v North Melbourne @ Coopers Stadium (Norwood)

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway, the silver lining in that loss is that it didn't do much harm to our percentage. Down to 179.8%, teams have certainly lost by much more than 8 points to North on average.

Unless Richmond manage to score a thumping win over Essendon, we should remain in the top 4 by the end of this round. That then puts the ball in our court to win against Geelong.

On the other side of the coin, top 2 is now mathematically impossible.

Waterhouse with their usual game, where they looked like they were going to do something, but didn't actually do anything. Two kicks, one mark, one tackle. Admittedly, with very low TOG.

Quite a few players had very low TOG today. Martin with 53%, Levy with 44%, Waterhouse with 42%, Boyle-Carr with 35%??? Why would you keep a player off the ground for 2/3 of the match?
Please don't start with Waterhouse.

I'd delist them

Anyway, the silver lining in that loss is that it didn't do much harm to our percentage. Down to 179.8%, teams have certainly lost by much more than 8 points to North on average.

Unless Richmond manage to score a thumping win over Essendon, we should remain in the top 4 by the end of this round. That then puts the ball in our court to win against Geelong.

On the other side of the coin, top 2 is now mathematically impossible.
Only positive after that loss is if the Crows also lose against Geelong and drop to 7th or 8th and avoid having to play at that absolute garbage piece of s**t ground at Norwood, only then they might have a chance.

Edit: Dammit looking at the ladder even that looks impossible that they finish without a ‘home’ final at that shithole

Please don't start with Waterhouse.

I'd delist them
Yeah, she just can't get near it. And when she's within 5 meters of it... she still can't get near it. Just doesn't have a weapon. Not clean, not big, not fast, doesn't tackle much.

We have 3 or 4 players in the side that just aren't any good. Bit like the mens team last season. It's a problem, because everyone has to contribute. Could hvae been the difference, really.

So... good matches from Marinoff, Newman, Randall. Gould dominant early but faded out of the match. Ponter showed why you have to stick with her, despite how frustrating she is - and hey, we're approaching the finals which is usually her time to shine anyway. Biddell mostly good, although a couple of uncharacteristic shanks. Kelly, Mueller and Munyard all decent, although 4 frees agains Munyard sucks a bit. Prowse decent but some bad moments late.

Hatchard had some good moments, and she really uses her strength well these days, but was just a bit too fumbly at crucial moments. Ditto Charlton. Meanwhile the Allan sisters, Levy and SLT all seemed hesitant, and Goodwin had a down match.

Martin, Boyle-Carr and Waterhouse all poor, but barely played a full game between them so what do you expect?

If we were only going to give Boyle-Carr 35% TOG anyway, we might as well have just played Ballard for that time instead.

Only positive after that loss is if the Crows also lose against Geelong and drop to 7th or 8th and avoid having to play at that absolute garbage piece of s**t ground at Norwood, only then they might have a chance.

Edit: Dammit looking at the ladder even that looks impossible that they finish without a ‘home’ final at that shithole

Given that I still think the most likely outcome is us playing North in week 1, I'm viewing it as a "positive" that they can't knock us out of the finals and we then get to avoid them until a GF :oops:

Given that I still think the most likely outcome is us playing North in week 1, I'm viewing it as a "positive" that they can't knock us out of the final and we then get to avoid them until a GF :oops:
If that plays out I reckon Crows would go out in straights sets if they played Port or Melbourne again at Norwood, might even be a struggle against Richmond as they’re hard to read. Given how the Crows play that venue would only probably have Freo and Essendon as close to certainties they could beat there.

If that plays out I reckon Crows would go out in straights sets if they played Port or Melbourne again at Norwood, might even be a struggle against Richmond as they’re hard to read. Given how the Crows play that venue would only probably have Freo and Essendon as close to certainties they could beat there.

I'd be very confident against Port at Norwood. They'd stick with us for a while but I doubt they would get over the line. I never know what to expect against Melbourne, but I'd be tipping us.

The bigger issue is, that then leaves us having to play away twice, most likely against Brisbane and North, if we want to win a flag. Those are two damn difficult road trips.

We really need to find a way to sneak over North (or whoever it ends up being) in the first week of the finals. It would be nice if we could have one of those matches where all of our half-chances actually come off for a change.

I'd be very confident against Port at Norwood. They'd stick with us for a while but I doubt they would get over the line. I never know what to expect against Melbourne, but I'd be tipping us.

The bigger issue is, that then leaves us having to play away twice, most likely against Brisbane and North, if we want to win a flag. Those are two damn difficult road trips.

We really need to find a way to sneak over North (or whoever it ends up being) in the first week of the finals. It would be nice if we could have one of those matches where all of our half-chances actually come off for a change.
I’ve changed after tonight with my thoughts on that, I think the compressed ground plays right into Port’s hands especially as the Crows have shown they won’t tag so those tough in-and-under midfielders they have like Dowrick done the last game she played there would feast out at that ground.

Port’s 2 main weaknesses are outside run and lockdown defenders, Norwood makes outside run a non-factor and the Crows sputtering attack also minimises that other weakness. Not to mention last time the Crows played them Scholz had a horror show and now she’s dominating and having a huge influence on games while Jess Allan like last season is showing all the signs that she’s running out of legs again.

Not to also mention Port like Melbourne and North like to really run the ball into 50 and the Crows have shown severe signs of weakness against that game style, Port already exposed the team’s high defensive line in round 1 by getting the ball out the back against it as did North tonight.

I’ve changed after tonight with my thoughts on that, I think the compressed ground plays right into Port’s hands especially as the Crows have shown they won’t tag so those tough in-and-under midfielders they have like Dowrick done the last game she played there would feast out at that ground.

Port’s 2 main weaknesses are outside run and lockdown defenders, Norwood makes outside run a non-factor and the Crows sputtering attack also minimises that other weakness. Not to mention last time the Crows played them Scholz had a horror show and now she’s dominating and having a huge influence on games while Jess Allan like last season is showing all the signs that she’s running out of legs again.

Not to also mention Port like Melbourne and North like to really run the ball into 50 and the Crows have shown severe signs of weakness against that game style, Port already exposed the team’s high defensive line in round 1 by getting the ball out the back against it as did North tonight.

I agree with most of that, but even so, I'd be confident that our stellar defence would stifle their opportunities and we would wear them down and win the war of attrition in the end.

As much as there were some disappointing aspects to tonight's match, the fact is that we matched it with North and, with even just half-decent goalkicking accuracy, would have pushed them right to the line. And even with our poor accuracy, we lost by 8 points. This is a team that has beaten their opponents by 42 points on average, including beating Port by 36. They've beaten seven teams by 6+ goals this season. Eight points against us was their lowest winning margin this season (admittedly, they also had a draw back in round 2).

We're not quite at North's level this season, but we are still ahead of Port, regardless of venue. And short of shitting the bed like we did a few weeks ago, we're ahead of Melbourne as well.

Just had a look at the stats and it’s probably the first time this season you can really blame the midfield for the result, again like the prelim loss last year North won the contested ball and stoppage clearances - which is a killer given that is proving to be the Crows’ only real main source of scoring. Thought it was easily the worst performance by the midfield all season.

Only 47 of 60 interchanges used again with the team showing real signs of fatigue off a 5-day break (Thompson was moving like she was a 60 y/o in the last quarter), really showing Clarke doesn’t trust any of those outside his top 15, it happened again like the Melbourne game where they hopelessly ran out of legs in the last 5 minutes and were unable to break free of the rolling-maul implemented by the opposition to close out the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 9 v North Melbourne @ Coopers Stadium (Norwood)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back