Game Day Round 9 vs. Western Bulldogs, Fri 13/05, 7:50pm MRVL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In commenting on our players, there is a clear failure to understand our situation. The following points might (but probably won't) help.

1. The team as the year started was quite strong, but there was no backup of solid players. They were good enough to be competitive at that time.

2. Inevitably, some of the front line have been injured. As we look at them, they seem to be key personnel, Elliott, Grundy, Roughead, Kreuger etc., But the composition of our team meant that there were only essential players in the first 18. There were no readymade replacements for any of them.

3. The players that have come in were not ready, and/or not up to the standard. They are doing the best they can.

4. The decisions that have put us here were made the year before last, when there was a clear out of the "almost but not quite" players following the salary cap debacle.

5. The selectors are putting out the team that they think is most likely to win each week. We may or may not agree with their choices, but our criticisms of selection need to be couched in these terms. There is definitely no gain to be had in selection of a team to tank. That would cripple the club.

6. I watch each week and agonize over the losses, but I understand that we are a weak team at present, and I try to look for the ways in which the administration is working to improve us, and for the signs that our players might be answering the various needs that we have. I see, for instance that our defence has a set of instructions that they are following. They make individuals look bad at times, but they are all doing as they have been instructed. The defensive tactics may not be the best ones, but they are designed to go with the offensive methods. I don't know enough to really judge them. I will have to wait and see how effective they prove to be.

11 of the 22 that played in the 18 grand final are still in the team.

Well still on the list. Grundy, Elliott, and Cox aren’t actually currently in the team. As at today anyway.

But there are actually 18 of the 47 we had on the list in 2018 remaining which means we’ve turned over 62% of the list in the 4 draft periods post the 2018 GF. How does that compare with other clubs?

We went into the season with 26 players with less than 50 games experience. How does that compare with other clubs?

We haven’t had less than 8 players <50 games in any game this year, twice we’ve had 9, twice we’ve had 10. How does that compare with other clubs?

Last edited:
Looks like I might be in the minority but I want Tyler Brown to stay in and be at every stoppage. Got in some good spots yesterday but wasn't clean with his hands which is different to what he does at vfl level. Not sure if this is confidence or game speed but would like to give him 4 weeks to build his game. Hope it's not just desperately wanting it to click for him.
In: poulter(wing)1
Out: Bianco
Sidey to Hff

Agree on Tyler Brown, stays for mine.

Could be as simple as

Out: Bianco
In: Cox or McInnes

Please , Tyler is not quick enough to catch his own shadow. Treloar will burn him off within a 5 metre , 4 step burst

Be interested to know what Tyler Brown’s 20m sprint times were. I don’t think he’s anywhere near as slow as some suggest. Also don’t think Treloar is anywhere near as quick as he used to be. They might actually be more evenly matched than you suggest.

Be interested to know what Tyler Brown’s 20m sprint times were. I don’t think he’s anywhere near as slow as some suggest. Also don’t think Treloar is anywhere near as quick as he used to be. They might actually be more evenly matched than you suggest.
Tyler was always one of the very first in the running/sprinting they did this pre season.

I'd be trying a role change. Think he's got the skillset to be a good defender. Good work ethic. Good size. Good athlete. Hands are good. In the VFL, he's also looked good in the air.

Correct! The outside players cop so much crap but the only way they get outside is running like a robber fleeing a crime scene. For 4 quarters. And then the experts say “oh it was a cheapie because he was alone”.

To be the lone guy at the back of a contest deep forward takes a bit of run.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

…and holds “structure”, doesn’t get sucked into the contest like some.

Poulter should play. Not only has his VFL form been solid all year… but there is the background risk that one of the SA clubs comes knocking

No good finishing 10th this year off the back of ignoring youth who are performing well in the VFL n favour of the usual cast of underperforming and NQR footballers

I can only hope that if they are getting a game it’s cause Fly is having a final look at some of these players before they are delisted in Oct

Poulter’s form has been anything but solid imho. Let him work though his issues in the VFL.

I think he'll get a game soon - but will be surprised if he looks ready and stays in the team.

I’m hoping he does. Love to see him clean up a couple of things with his game first but they may not wait. He’s one of the few kids we’ve got currently capable of running up and down the wings, working as hard back into defence as into F50.

I'd be trying a role change. Think he's got the skillset to be a good defender. Good work ethic. Good size. Good athlete. Hands are good. In the VFL, he's also looked good in the air.

I’m happy for them to persist with him in the midfield. Hasn’t had a lot of exposure in the role and is showing improvement. The “it’s a development year” applies equally to him imho as to any of the other kids on our list.

I’m hoping he does. Love to see him clean up a couple of things with his game first but they may not wait. He’s one of the few kids we’ve got currently capable of running up and down the wings, working as hard back into defence as into F50.
Poulter's one I'm really not confident about. At the moment, I think he's a poor man's Tom Phillips. With difficult to improve issues. I hope I'm wrong.

Poulter's one I'm really not confident about. At the moment, I think he's a poor man's Tom Phillips. With difficult to improve issues. I hope I'm wrong.
He’s a better kick than Tom Phillips… if consider one is 19 and the other 25.

Was already at Phillips standard last year

Sitting in the twos forever wont develop his game

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was already at Phillips standard last year

Sitting in the twos forever wont develop his game
Im never a big fan of these stat comparisons because often the players are playing different roles in different systems.

But this time you can do a reasonable comparison. Compare the stats from a year when Phillips was playing wing in Buckley’s system, which is where Poulter's stats were had. To suggest he'd surpassed Phillips last year is fantasy. I wouldn't expect him to have either.

Last edited:
Now: let’s keep playing the same old mediocre incumbents WHE, Madgen, Brown bros… leave the kids in the twos all year

Cue 2 years from now: gee finishing mid table in 2022/23 and not playing kids like Poulter, Macrae and Ruscoe etc has really held us back now that all our senior players have retired and most of our youth has still only played under 50 games 🤦‍♂️

Now: let’s keep playing the same old mediocre incumbents WHE, Madgen, Brown bros… leave the kids in the twos all year

Cue 2 years from now: gee finishing mid table in 2022/23 and not playing kids like Poulter, Macrae and Ruscoe etc has really held us back now that all our senior players have retired and most of our youth has still only played under 50 games 🤦‍♂️
Just play blokes when they are ready.

Yup, agree with this 100%. We need to know if these kids are going to cut it or not.

1) if these kids can play, we attack FA & senior players.

2) if these kids can’t play, we have to hit the draft board again.

Yup, agree with this 100%. We need to know if these kids are going to cut it or not.

1) if these kids can play, we attack FA & senior players.

2) if these kids can’t play, we have to hit the draft board again.
Or we could just let them develop, there is no sense to playing them because they are young and taken with an early pick

He won’t get used to the increase paced of the senior game, increased pressure etc

Was good enough to play 11 games last year… but not good enough to get a run of 3-4 games now,
despite averaging 22 touches a game in the VFL 🤷‍♀️
I'm not sure why he's not getting a game atm. Watching him in the VFL tells me he's slow and get's caught a lot. Just my opinion but I don't think he has any tools to make an impact in the seniors. I think they are going to play him this week though, so we'll see if he has anything to offer

LAMUMBA, CHA, CHA, CHA

Sean Spicer Dwts GIF by Dancing with the Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back