Game Day Round 9 vs. Western Bulldogs, Fri 13/05, 7:50pm MRVL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to take into consideration that a large chunk of the best 22 have been crook the past fortnight.

I'm expecting a decent spike in performance come Friday night with a number of the lads running on top of the ground again.

Poulter should play. Not only has his VFL form been solid all year… but there is the background risk that one of the SA clubs comes knocking

No good finishing 10th this year off the back of ignoring youth who are performing well in the VFL n favour of the usual cast of underperforming and NQR footballers

I can only hope that if they are getting a game it’s cause Fly is having a final look at some of these players before they are delisted in Oct

Jack Crisp is his Dad now, he will stay.

Quaynor has played 43 games, been playing since 2019. Josh daicos 60 games since 2017. Noble 52 games, debut 2017. Lipinski 64 games debut 2017.

The whole we are young bs is spin. We're still rocking most of the team we've had under bucks with a different coach.
Peddles plays backline, sidey is ordinary these days, Moore hasn't been great, jdg disappointing, Grundy and Elliott injured.

The kids show promise and are contributing more in the absence of the aforementioned. Ginnivan was the Anzac day medallist two weeks ago.
The VFL side is going gangbusters,

Your statement of same old is false.

Peddles plays backline, sidey is ordinary these days, Moore hasn't been great, jdg disappointing, Grundy and Elliott injured.

The kids show promise and are contributing more in the absence of the aforementioned. Ginnivan was the Anzac day medallist two weeks ago.
The VFL side is going gangbusters,

Your statement of same old is false.
Well that's plain wrong.

He’s still a twig mate ,never said he’s been poor. There’s 0 chance he can match up against seasoned afl forwards atm.
That's ok because our backline and particularly Moore don't play anywhere near their opponents anyway, I would like to try begg in the backline and bring Cox back in to ruck, we were too small on Saturday

Quaynor has played 43 games, been playing since 2019. Josh daicos 60 games since 2017. Noble 52 games, debut 2017. Lipinski 64 games debut 2017.

The whole we are young bs is spin. We're still rocking most of the team we've had under bucks with a different coach.

Yep we've got a young list, but not a young team.

It's not a standard rebuild where we've had to replace core players - other than Treloar. That pain is still to come and will be difficult to stave off.

We're fallen because we cleared out the experienced edges of our team, assumedly due to salary cap, and we drafted badly between 2015 and 2019, so very few in that Age Group have stepped up and most of the more recent draftees aren't ready yet - some of them never will be.

Well that's plain wrong.
Rubbish BB it's a matter of what he's capable of, it's a matter of second efforts and it's a matter that he still has a bloody ordinary tank.

Yes he's flashy and draws the ball, but even when he gets it he's far too inclined to go for the 'watch me' play rather than the team play.

I know he has the right stuff and really want him to parade it but to date it's just been superficial.

That's ok because our backline and particularly Moore don't play anywhere near their opponents anyway, I would like to try begg in the backline and bring Cox back in to ruck, we were too small on Saturday
Unfortunetly, if we want to play fast footy we have to learn to zone defence properly. Richmond are masters at it, we have to get to a higher level around the ball and clearances and then our defenders won't be caught so far behind their opponent's. I doubt our coaching panel are concerned about our defence atm as it's all part of mastering our new game style. It'll take a couple of years

Unfortunetly, if we want to play fast footy we have to learn to zone defence properly. Richmond are masters at it, we have to get to a higher level around the ball and clearances and then our defenders won't be caught so far behind their opponent's. I doubt our coaching panel are concerned about our defence atm as it's all part of mastering our new game style. It'll take a couple of years
Agree with this.

But think its more layered than just one aspect.
Coaches have said (maybe Fly said this?) that the Def was intact because of last few years, but we want more offence.

After the first few rounds we were stuffed 3qtrs of the way through and couldn't play both styles at once. After the cats game i think we reset and have tried to save some gas during games.

This has lead to not working hard enough back and thus our defense gets exposed.
Our press hasn't stopped teams as much as it did in the early rounds, so we're not getting bang for buck either.

Def agree it will take more than 1 pre-season to focus on balancing this.
I assume they spent all pre-season focussed on offence and the next one will be on defensive balance.

Also need to remember we need to assume that we have drafted for the previous gameplan.
This one is about speed and competitiveness.
Which is what we did in last years draft.

So will need a few more years of that as well before the cattle align with the plan......

I'm happy to watch us attack this year, but its clear the "go at all costs" style of the first few rounds has slowed down.
I noticed it heaps on the weekend.

I have no issue with trying to develop begg as a KPD. But you do this with an extended stint in the vfl. Do you want begg manning up against Hawkins? Mackay? We need KPD, doesn’t mean we just throw kids into the seniors. Madge would be better at this point. We aren’t challenging, so there’s no rush. We are rebuilding, many in here need to accept we are years away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the Herald Sun. Will probably please most. Looks like they've been reading BF:

COLLINGWOOD

B: I. Quaynor, D.Moore, J.Madgen

HB: B.Maynard, J.Howe, S.Pendlebury

C: S.Sidebottom, T.Adams, N.Daicos

HF: W.Hoskin-Elliott, B.Mihocek, N.Daicos

F: O.Henry, J.De Goey, J.Ginnivan

Foll: D.Cameron, P.Lipinski, J.Crisp

Inter: B.McCreery, A.Begg. C.Poulter, J.Noble

IN: J.Madgen, C.Poulter

OUT: T.Bianco (omitted), T.Brown (omitted)

Awkward selection week for the Magpies coming off a big loss to Richmond. The good news is Isaac Quaynor will be right to play. The bad news is Jordan Roughead is still at least another week away. That means Jack Madgen - the sub last week - needs to come back into the selected 22. Caleb Poulter’s VFL form has been solid and he deserves another chance. Trent Bianco and Tyler Brown could be the most vulnerable to make way for the inclusion. There will be a discussion around whether to play Aiden Begg or Mason Cox as back-up ruck/forward to Darcy Cameron, but the youngster might get another chance.

From the Herald Sun. Will probably please most. Looks like they've been reading BF:

COLLINGWOOD

B: I. Quaynor, D.Moore, J.Madgen

HB: B.Maynard, J.Howe, S.Pendlebury

C: S.Sidebottom, T.Adams, N.Daicos

HF: W.Hoskin-Elliott, B.Mihocek, N.Daicos

F: O.Henry, J.De Goey, J.Ginnivan

Foll: D.Cameron, P.Lipinski, J.Crisp

Inter: B.McCreery, A.Begg. C.Poulter, J.Noble

IN: J.Madgen, C.Poulter

OUT: T.Bianco (omitted), T.Brown (omitted)

Awkward selection week for the Magpies coming off a big loss to Richmond. The good news is Isaac Quaynor will be right to play. The bad news is Jordan Roughead is still at least another week away. That means Jack Madgen - the sub last week - needs to come back into the selected 22. Caleb Poulter’s VFL form has been solid and he deserves another chance. Trent Bianco and Tyler Brown could be the most vulnerable to make way for the inclusion. There will be a discussion around whether to play Aiden Begg or Mason Cox as back-up ruck/forward to Darcy Cameron, but the youngster might get another chance.

Well our cloning efforts of Nick didn't take long...get Pendles in the lab ASAP.

I have no issue with trying to develop begg as a KPD. But you do this with an extended stint in the vfl. Do you want begg manning up against Hawkins? Mackay? We need KPD, doesn’t mean we just throw kids into the seniors. Madge would be better at this point. We aren’t challenging, so there’s no rush. We are rebuilding, many in here need to accept we are years away
Vfl development would be better for begg, we don't have a whole heap of options though for now, I don't think begg should be playing on the Hawkins type forwards, Moore can do that but another tall surely couldn't hurt, particularly if Cox came in to ruck which I think strengthens our ruck division. Then if they drop Bianco for Cox I would say we aren't losing on that selection either.

I think McMahon is being developed as a KPD.
He's shown some promise in recent VFL games, but it's early days.
Big preseason in the gym required for him & Begg.

Yep we've got a young list, but not a young team.

It's not a standard rebuild where we've had to replace core players - other than Treloar. That pain is still to come and will be difficult to stave off.

We're fallen because we cleared out the experienced edges of our team, assumedly due to salary cap, and we drafted badly between 2015 and 2019, so very few in that Age Group have stepped up and most of the more recent draftees aren't ready yet - some of them never will be.
Exactly, young list not young team. Summed up perfectly.

Apologises
Out: N Daicos (rested for 1 week), Sidebottom (rested 1 week), Bianco (omitted)
In: McRae, Poulter, McInnes. (whomever performs the best gets the spot the following week because Daicos and Sidebottom come back in)

Dont kick me to hard for resting Daicos.

So 2 goals makes up for being invisible?

Interesting. Last week he had to be dropped because he wasn’t hitting the scoreboard, this week it’s because he did.

Personally, barring injury, I can’t see him being dropped so I look forward to seeing how this develops every week for the remainder of the season.

With dual Brownlow medallist Nat Fyfe’s return from injury drawing closer, Collingwood supporters are entitled to be nervous about him coming back for their clash with the Dockers in round 10.

There’s been a trend in recent weeks with key players returning against the Magpies.

It started when Essendon decided Jake Stringer and Zach Merrett were suddenly fit to play on Anzac Day with the pair making Collingwood’s win more hard fought than otherwise would have been.

Then last week, Richmond’s Dustin Martin’s long-awaited return occurred against Collingwood at the MCG with coach Craig McRae joking he was “pumped″⁣ about the champion Tigers’ return.

Dustin Martin in action against Collingwood.
Dustin Martin in action against Collingwood.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Advertisement

Now Collingwood supporters will see Western Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli return for Friday night’s clash at Marvel Stadium.

Dockers’ coach Justin Longmuir indicated a couple of weeks ago that Fyfe would be back for Collingwood but it appears he may have to wait for the star to return after round 10.

Don’t bet on it because an upcoming match against the Magpies has incredible healing powers it seems.

Well apart from the 5 debutants, and the extra games we’ve pumped into the other 11 or so <50 gamers on our list this year, yep, almost identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back