Game Day Round 18 vs. Geelong, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 12/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just know J Cameron will kick 8 after not looking like it for 2 months
Does it to us every time
Every key foward has a day out against our defensive style. We don't play a man on man defence. Look at the list of key big men this year and last year who have kicked bags against the pies. Curnow always kicks a bag against us 4-5, Larky 5, King 4 (suns), Opening round, Brown 5, Hogan 4, Daniels 4(GWS), Hardwick 4, Moore 3 (Hawks)

The issue I think we have is, that zone defence worked with key personal in our team in 2022 and 2023. We need to evolve, because teams have worked us out this year. We are too easy to score against averaging 84pts a game.

Three losses and two draws after turnarounds of 6 days or less this year (and the one point win over North) - only lost one game this year after a 7 day or more turnaround (Dogs) - we're a good thing this week.

I'll be going on Friday night, expecting a loss, but (as usual) optimistic for a win.

How many games attended in recent years, where we were considered no chance to win? Its exactly the kind of backs to the wall scenario which brings out our ruthless streak.

I trust Fly and his coaching team to get us over the line with this one. And some of our players who've been down, inconsistent, or even absent in recent weeks to produce a big one (Hill, De Goey, Lippa, IQ, Schultz, Markov - its a longish list).

He wasn’t gifted goals if that’s what you mean. Was back to competing well in the air. He passed off another couple that he should have had shots at himself. Was clearly our best forward by a long way. Building his confidence. Also saw a lot more second efforts from him. All this with terrible entries btw.

It'll be a shame if AJ never makes it at AFL level. Would be a waste of a very talented footballer.

Every key foward has a day out against our defensive style. We don't play a man on man defence. Look at the list of key big men this year and last year who have kicked bags against the pies. Curnow always kicks a bag against us 4-5, Larky 5, King 4 (suns), Opening round, Brown 5, Hogan 4, Daniels 4(GWS), Hardwick 4, Moore 3 (Hawks)

The issue I think we have is, that zone defence worked with key personal in our team in 2022 and 2023. We need to evolve, because teams have worked us out this year. We are too easy to score against averaging 84pts a game.

Every side plays a zone defence.

Forwards kick goals against every team.

Case closed.

Every side plays a zone defence.

Forwards kick goals against every team.

Case closed.
Essendon played mostly man on man after quarter time - watch the kick outs after points and you will see it.
Pies didn't have an answer for it particularly in the 3rd quarter.

Essendon played mostly man on man after quarter time - watch the kick outs after points and you will see it.
Pies didn't have an answer for it particularly in the 3rd quarter.
Intersting take. They seemed to have us covered man for man - winning the one on ones. But it was there ball movement and our inability to stick tackles, etc, which stood out to me. Even in the first, there smooth ball movement was apparent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our backs don't play close to opposition fowards. Other teams in the top 6 do more often than not..
let’s have a Quick Look at the weekend, Cameron kicked 4.4, McKay 5 goals, hogan 5 goals.

Every team has bags kicked on them by big KPF, hence why they win or come close to winning the Coleman medal…

If you constantly lose the midfield battle, no defence can stop kicks to the advantage of big KPF. We need to sure up our midfield first

Ps anyone heard (aka club mentioning etc) where Wrighty is? Apart from still on his European vacation.

they need to fix the tackling ..essendon players slipped through many tackling attempts and our tackling numbers were way down especially in first half
Been happening for weeks. We don’t stick tackles. We tackle too soft. Probably scared of all the penalties now for tackling dangerously

Looks like the media are putting a fair bit of heat on us this week, and rightfully so.
Perhaps this might light a fire under the players and we see a response.
The effort of the last month has been quite poor overall, do the players still want it bad enough, we shall see on Friday night.

Unfortunately, players like Moore don't read the paper or follow the media.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back