Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

The elephant here is how did you know they were going to the Royal??
Educated guess. The fortunate thing is , my mate who was with me at the game was understandably enjoying collingwoods win, lap of honour etc, he would’ve been happy to help mcintosh out who was clearly on a mission to start a fight. Arsenal ? Sydney Swans ? Arsenal ? Sydney Swans ? If it wasn’t for your little tiger no.7 ushering him on it probably would’ve been on.

Rodney Maynard, ex original Crow player.

Had a bit to do with him in the late 80's when he was still playing for Norwood. He was working on the family farm at Lameroo, 200 kms east of Adelaide. Would train with the 2 local clubs (Lameroo North on Monday & Wednesday nights; Lameroo South on Tuesday night) and would then drive to Adelaide Thursday night to train with Norwood (his brother was playing for Norwood then as well and would do the same thing).

He'd play for Norwood on Saturday and come back to the farm after the game.

He moved to Adelaide when the Crows came into the comp in 1991. Went back to the farm once he finished his AFL career and dominated the local comp for the next decade.

Typical down to earth country guy. Loved a beer and a chat, especially anything about farming and the land.

If you didn't know who he was & you met him for the first time, you would never know that he was a AFL player.

You wouldn't meet a better bloke
my son was coached by him back when lameroo footy club was still around (prior to their merger), only got to meet him once but my son speaks very highly of him. just a lovely guy who loves his farming and footy

It’s funny how you get people putting the same players in the nice and rude categories. With some it’s totally about the circumstances. Anyone can be terse on a bad day.

Generally have never gone out of my way to meet the players but inevitably you end up meeting a few if you’re out and about in Melbourne or go to the odd club function.

Can’t recall ever having had a bad experience with any of them.

Of the Doggies players, Roarke Smith, Brad Johnson, Tony Liberatore and Easton Wood are all standouts.

Had pretty good experiences (often when I was working in customer service) with Matthew Lloyd, Sticks, Archer and a few others.

Another one I forgot to mention earlier:

Caleb Daniel: lived across the road from a friend of mine a few years ago, got invited last minute to a Sunday bbq and was very polite and mature with the way he handled himself in a room full of strangers, he was happy to talk footy but also mentioned that he’s happy to talk about other subjects just as much, he even bought over a 6 pack for ruining one of our multis earlier that season

Saw the Saints boys about to catch a flight out of Melbourne when they were at the peak of their powers.

A young kid wearing a north jumper was completely star struck when he saw Lenny Hayes, who stopped, walked over and got down on a knee and had a really nice chat with the kid.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if it were a Saints fan, but to see how warm he was with an oppo supporter is as a great insight into his character.

Shaun McManus was great too, was the first player I ever saw off a field as a kid, and he was really friendly.

Nicest

Alistair Clarkson - This one may surprise considering all the negative media. My son was doing work experience at Clarko's place over summer. Clarko gave him a lot of his time and chatted about footy and life (my son is playing at a decent level). Clarko even rang the boss to say how much of a good kid my son is.
Have been at a few junkets where he spoke and he is seriously impressive. He’s also extremely giving of his time.

At the first one I went to, he finished up and started to walk out. I smiled at him then pulled my phone out. Then I felt a firm grip on my shoulders. He’d turned around and started thanking everyone for their time while massaging my shoulders.

Bizarre in hindsight but he was great.

Another one I forgot to mention earlier:

Caleb Daniel: lived across the road from a friend of mine a few years ago, got invited last minute to a Sunday bbq and was very polite and mature with the way he handled himself in a room full of strangers, he was happy to talk footy but also mentioned that he’s happy to talk about other subjects just as much, he even bought over a 6 pack for ruining one of our multis earlier that season
Serves you right for betting on him taking five contested marks in a game.

Seeing a couple of cricket ones, brother in law fixed Justin Langers roof. First person ever to stop the leaks JL reckons. BIL reckons his incredible enthusiasm for Aus is full on but he's always got a yarn to share.

Got to know Trevor Chappell through 6's cricket tournaments and while quite reserved was always good for a chat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t remember if I’ve posted in here. Met a heap and like society there are all sorts. That said the one who stood out to me and deserves all the praise he has received (and continues to receive since passing ten years ago) is Tommy Hafey. I’d say it was near impossible to have an interaction with him and not be the better for it.

Can’t remember if I’ve posted in here. Met a heap and like society there are all sorts. That said the one who stood out to me and deserves all the praise he has received (and continues to receive since passing ten years ago) is Tommy Hafey. I’d say it was near impossible to have an interaction with him and not be the better for it.
Came to our school and spoke to everyone who wanted to chat with him afterwards. Really impacted my life as I was just getting into the gym then, he is someone I cite for setting me up with healthy lifelong habits when it comes to health and fitness.

I still think about him on some of my harder running sessions

My son went to school with Owies...said he was the worst bloke in the school, constantly bullied everyone especially the smaller kids.
There were smaller kids?

Nicest was Chris Mainwaring. A absolute legend around the childrens hospitals. Would come in constantly to bring the kids signed gear and to have a chat and take some photos. He basically just came in and gave motivational talks also and made you feel strong. Much different to others who come just to say Hi, he came in with more of that caring mindset. He would remember your name as well so when he would walk in and say Hi to check up on you it really lit up your day

One time I was in for treatment, he had a signed ball for me. Literally waited about 40 minutes for me to get out to give me the ball.

Absolute legend. Honestly brings a bit of a tear to my eye that he isnt here anymore and I guess the impact he had on me too
Remember running into Chris Mainwaring as a young fella and he was a genuinely compassionate, caring bloke who had time for a young kid even when he was quite obviously busy himself. His death was a tragedy.

Met Chris Mainwaring at the courthouse when we were both their for a similar reason, he held the door to the court open for me to walk through so get's a tick from me there.
Had Ashley Hanson lining up behind me to get into a nightclub after they won the flag. I said mate what are you doing lining up you could just walk straight in. He Said nah mate I'll line up like everyone else. Another tick.
Worked with someone who was good mates with Craig Turley so met him a few times, genuine bloke, very chill.

Was an MC at an event that Spud Frawley was the guest speaker at so sat with him all night and had a good laugh with him. Another top bloke.

Come to think of it I have only had good experiences, no D1ks. Yet.

Came to our school and spoke to everyone who wanted to chat with him afterwards. Really impacted my life as I was just getting into the gym then, he is someone I cite for setting me up with healthy lifelong habits when it comes to health and fitness.

I still think about him on some of my harder running sessions

Yep. I often reflect on his words when something seems tough or I’m too tired to do something.

-When I lived in brissy years ago(2010-13); my brother, a mate of ours and myself ran into the Lions boys having their 'mad monday' of sorts (but on a Sunday) the day after they had lost their final game of the year to the Cats by a point in 2013.

It was around 4pm and the boys were absolutely blind in the carpark of hotel/pub all waiting for a few mini buses to come and take them to the next leg of their shenanigans.

Randomly Jordan Lisle walked into the Dan Murphy's store with the three of us to buy more blocks of VB for all the other Lions lads, whilst he was very drunk.....he was also super chatty and really very friendly. He then told us to grab a block of VB and that he'd buy it for us coz he felt sorry for us boys being Eagles fans and poor uni students.

The absolute ledge then introduced us to a few of the other boys who were all different levels of intoxicated, no word of a lie Daniel Rich challenged me on the spot see who could neck a can of VB first....he won easily.

Anyway after about 5 mins of chatting with them and sharing beers in the carpark their mini buses arrived and the all bailed in and then told us to keep all the remaining beers in the half smashed blocks, we legit scored about 50-60 cans that day.

One thing I do remember vividly was Tom Rockliff and Ash McGrath were really getting on each others nerves in their drunkeness and had to separated by the other lads.

Anyway crazy little run in, so for the Lions class of 2013 I've always held in high regard and decent blokes even whilst feral on the piss.

-Met Darren Glass in the crib room of the workers camp I was based at in Pilbara a couple of years ago, whilst he was up to do a mentor workshop for BHP. Absolute class human being had time for everyone who wanted a chit chat and a signature even whilst off the clock.

-Troy Ugle (assistant) coached me for a bit at South Hedland Swans, fantastic guy. (fun fact in 2014 I played a match with Ash Sampi for the Swans against the Karratha Kats who had Leon Davis playing and we lost by 1 point)

-Ran into Adam Selwood whilst he was in Port Hedland for a coaching clinic, tbh whilst he wasn't overtly rude he did have an air of 'figjam' about him.

Simon and Patrick Wiggins (moreso Patty) are legit crazy as ****

Patty was playing with one of my best mates against a notorious bikie linked club in the WRFL. He was getting berated by them from behind the goals, he slotted 4 in the first quarter and the 4th he drilled it low and hard at one of them, bouncing it off of his shoulder and celebrated Micky O style in their face as he ran through the goals

Very good but extremely crazy bloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Rudest/Nicest player you've met?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back