Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

dont think anything will happen, but at least the swans did chat with judd yesterday about a move to sydney. May have offered his girlfriend a job on tv as well. It would be good, but not holding my breath waiting.

dont think anything will happen, but at least the swans did chat with judd yesterday about a move to sydney. May have offered his girlfriend a job on tv as well. It would be good, but not holding my breath waiting.

that'd kind of make a mockery of his plan to "come home to melbourne" wouldn't it?
althopugh i spose, technically, it is CLOSER to melbourne than perth is

What the frack. Did he hold talks with the Swans? My god... can you imagine the Goodes and Judd combo in the midfield. Ohhh yeah.

But technically we are/were South Melbourne, maybe Judd had a subtle notion there about moving to Sydney. Sydney, after all, is close to Victoria and his home town. :D

Jolly's manager will be doing the deals as the Jolly family are in Melbourne.

Roosy says his 'fairly confident' Jolly will accept the 4 year deal seeing as ruckmen are very rare at the moment. But I think Jolly will stay in Sydney and will accept the 4 year deal and hopefully he'll play out his days with the Swans.

we would be nuts to give away the few younger members of the squad that actually had skills like Dempster and McVeigh. They are the one of the few in the squal that actually are decent kicks - it's their decision making that's the main problem most of the time.
That statement is just so.....Wrong.You concede that decision making is their main problem,but we should hold on to them cause they can kick.
I put it to you that it's no good having them there just because they can kick if they can't decide what they should do with it in the first place.These two are the perfect reason why Swans should get the hell out of the Canberra league & into the VFL.

That statement is just so.....Wrong.You concede that decision making is their main problem,but we should hold on to them cause they can kick.
I put it to you that it's no good having them there just because they can kick if they can't decide what they should do with it in the first place.These two are the perfect reason why Swans should get the hell out of the Canberra league & into the VFL.

they are among a group of younger players whose skills are lacking, where are our goalsneak mids and smaller players? mcveigh got three in one game but he, like buchanan, schneider and j bolton, frequently misses straightforward shots at goal that he SHOULD kick
also, decision-making on its own is important but it's decision-making under pressure that separates the avergae AFL players from the really good ones, and this year we had half a fecking squad that showed itself to be very poor with both skills and decision-making under pressure
we cannot afford to have a first 22 littered with so many of them, so they either improve or get out....obviously, this includes paul bevan too, whose skills and decision-making are dreadful at the moment....he can tackle and is a hard nut but that is not nearly enough

My statement refers to them have a lot upside than the likes of Crouch, Fosdike and Matthews is likely to offer us in the next few years. Kicking is one of the few skills that is very hard to teach (In fact I'll say it's the hardest), a lot of it is instinct or an action that they have used since they were kids. Fosdike has spent a lot of years with us now and his kicking hasn't improved one bit. On the other hand, toughness, decision-making etc IS something we can teach (or should be able to teach).

McVeign, for example, had a very good 2006. His skills are still in 2007, it's just that his decision-making had eroded his confidence early, making him second-guessing everything he did in the first 10 rounds or so (and thus digs himself into even a bigger hole). Once he got his confidence up in the second half of the season, he was close to his 2006 form (apart from set shots, which apart from Magic, everyone tend to have struggled this year). He's also one of the few players we have on the list we can 'evade' a tackle, rather than trying to charge through one Ablett style.

We are already struggling to get enough height into our side and Dempster is a very handy footballer, with decent pace and can setup plays from our flanks running from back pocket or break the 'ultra-flood' by taking a shot outside fifty. His main weakness is his general awareness (he gets run down a lot from behind) and in my view, it is much easier to teach him that, than trying to teach Jude Bolton to kick 60m with accuracy.

And realistically, what are we going to get in return for trading them? A fourth round pick like we got for Powell and Saddington? Or a fringe player that's struggling to get into sides that have less depth than we do?

You do remember the Port Melbourne days right? We were only allowed to send down 4 players down, we couldn't get any guarrantees into where they are going to play and how much they are going to play. And how many of our players actually developed in the VFL? If we can't send our own team down where we have full control of our players, we shouldn't even think about it. We kept sending the likes of Troy Luff down there where he kicks 4, 5 goals a game, then come back up trying to field a spot at CHB and get hammered. If we do field a full team, hopefully we don't go broke doing it (the AIS almost did, by fielding their soccer team in the Victoria League).

On the other hand, has the likes of Schmit, Barlow or Laidlaw or Jack really embarassed themselves in senior football? I would say the answer is no, in fact they showed more than some of our senior members had.

Malceski was star for our seconds in our first year at the ACT comp (I'm pretty sure) and he turned out fine where he demonstrated great leadership skills and was assistant coach in the year that he was out with an ACL - and he might not have turned out the same way that he was if we were still involved with Port Melbourne. (We broke ties with them by 2003.) Buchanan is another who benefited from a full season done at the ACT comp where he re-invented himself as a inside/outside midfielder/forward and got his confidence back after a poor 2002 when he managed only 6 games and showed very little in his limited opportunities.

In fact, the young players that were drafted during the Port Melbourne era were LRT, Powell, Sunqvist, Ablett, Buchanan and Fixter. None of which showed amazing signs of progress during that time.

Unfortunately when you are the age of those mentioned above you cant change their kicking style and strength. They are set in stone at a very young age. I cant agree on Mcveigh's kicking skills, I think they are very average at best. Dempster kicks long but hasn't been the go too running half back because we have had Kennelly and Melceski, and he has been given more of a negating role hence the lower level of possessions.

Now if you look at Barry Hall you have a different set of factors in play. He gets a mark outside 50 and does those dinky little stabs to a crowded half forward line and rarely hits a player on the chest. It is not his skills that let him down it is his decision making. If only the block head would move it on quickly and deep in those circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Latest rumour started by you. No thanks, we're not trading our pick 11, thank you!!!:rolleyes:

No, it was reported on Channel 7 tonight actually, as part of the Judd deal. I didn't 'make it up'. The proposed deal goes like this:

Sydney Gain: Johnstone, Unknown Melbourne player
Melbourne Gain: Judd, Unknown Sydney player
WCE Gain: Picks 4, 11, 21.

No, it was reported on Channel 7 tonight actually, as part of the Judd deal. I didn't 'make it up'. The proposed deal goes like this:

Sydney Gain: Johnstone, Unknown Melbourne player
Melbourne Gain: Judd, Unknown Sydney player
WCE Gain: Picks 4, 11, 21.

If that unknown Melbourne player is either Brock McLean or Jared Rivers then no deal. :thumbsu:

The Unknown Sydney Player would be, without a doubt, Jolly. No one else in our club are intending to leave Sydney except for Jolly.

I'll be very, very concerned if the rumours is true.
That means we have to find an alternative to Jolly and at the same time, deal with another ageing midfielder that's not overly quick - and losing our first pick as well.

I'll be slightly happier if the unknown player is Rivers (though I doubt it), Petterd makes more sense, but he's another tallish flanker which we have a lot of.

That means we have to ship around our second pick for another ruckman...this just has bad signs all over it and can set us back years (if it's true).

Would love to see Jolly come back to the Dees and take the number one ruck spot from White. Giving up TJ is something that I am willing to do, however would not have thought that many Sydeny fans would be happy to loose first pick for him. There was a rumour the other day that you were talking to the demons regarding Miller. Obviously he has had a shit two years and if you want to take him off our hands would be happy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back