Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that how much we are going to give Jolly? 2 mil for 4 years? Or 500,000 per year.. sounds reasonable..

I hope you're being sarcastic? :rolleyes: 2 mill over 4 years for Jolly? I think he's a great player but there's no way he's worth that. The only ruckman that can demand that figure is Dean Cox. He has set the benchmark for ruckwork and Jolly is way off a Dean Cox.

And a 4 year deal? I think three would suffice. 4 years is to long for a Jolly. 3 years at $300-350 a year is what we should be offering him at the most.

A straight swap J Bolton for T Johnstone would do me. One can play and has skills and versatility the other has zilch.

your a clown and so is everyone else who thinks J Bolton is crap. im sick and tired of this anti-j.bolton talk on this forum, i'll be expecting everyone to shutup when he finishes 5th in the b&f.

your a clown and so is everyone else who thinks J Bolton is crap. im sick and tired of this anti-j.bolton talk on this forum, i'll be expecting everyone to shutup when he finishes 5th in the b&f.

yeah, look, i have been critical of j bolton's kicking, and we all surely agree it's pretty ordinary at times, and geez you wouldn't want him kciking for goal to save your life, but he's a triffic bloke, great clubman and a genuine hard goer, i can think of many other players i'd rather get rid of in such a trade, and i'd be happy to see jude a swan for life

I am almost hoping that we do trade our first round pick away. So much of the negative talk on this forum is directly related to expectations placed on players because of what number they were drafted. If anything, the bush league reserves system allows us to take punts on prospects late in the draft and have the time to develop them. I think that may be the main reason a lot of our success stories are from the rookie draft.

With the exception of Ben Mathews and Paul Bevan, it seems every time someone looking for a scapegoat its either Nic Fosdike, Jude Bolton or Jarrad McVeigh (am I forgetting any first round picks on our list from the past 10 years?). The first three I named went close to career best years this season. Jude was played out of position and should be back underneath the centre circle packs with Kirk next year, and McVeigh showed a bit of promise now he's getting let off the leash a bit more.

And yet whenever we need to drop, delist or trade someone their names are always mentioned. We would never be able to get adequate value in a trade, because these guys are all team players that do the little things that often go un-noticed, and hence are rated much higher by our team than by outsiders.

Maybe having first round picks every year would solve the problem, as they wouldn't get singled out, but even so I think Travis Johnstone would be good for us, as we need more creativity and skill in our midfield. Get them to chuck in Brad Miller or even Adem Yze too and the pick is all theirs. I say lets win another premiership now, worry about the post-Roos era later. I got too drunk in 2005 to be able to remember it!

Luv Humph.

Who do you suggest will do the ruckwork at the Swans next year then?

Thats what I was just about to say.

I hope you're being sarcastic? :rolleyes: 2 mill over 4 years for Jolly? I think he's a great player but there's no way he's worth that. The only ruckman that can demand that figure is Dean Cox. He has set the benchmark for ruckwork and Jolly is way off a Dean Cox.

And a 4 year deal? I think three would suffice. 4 years is to long for a Jolly. 3 years at $300-350 a year is what we should be offering him at the most.

Jolly will still be at the Swans when Peter retires, and from where we are standing, Jolly will be our Number One Ruckman once again, unless we have drafted for an already experienced ruckman. Doyle would be our second most obvious choice, but I think 500 grand is reasonable enough.

Maybe having first round picks every year would solve the problem, as they wouldn't get singled out, but even so I think Travis Johnstone would be good for us, as we need more creativity and skill in our midfield. Get them to chuck in Brad Miller or even Adem Yze too and the pick is all theirs. I say lets win another premiership now, worry about the post-Roos era later. I got too drunk in 2005 to be able to remember it!

Luv Humph.

I agree that we won't get much value out of trading our players - and we shouldn't , particular the young(ish) players like McVeigh and Buchanan who just had off years.

But we do have a problem in midfield and that's age. Crouch, Fosdike, Kirk, J.Bolton, Matthews, Goodes will all be 28+ next year unless we start planning now, we could lose 5 or 6 senior midfielders at the same time to retirement. Getting old midfielders in return for a pick would just worsen this problem. (And one of the reasons why we need to hang onto Buchanan!)

And having 12 senior players next year that are in the 28+ bracket, we should really start looking beyond the next year and start planning for the future. I think we should really keep all our picks this year.

I agree that we won't get much value out of trading our players - and we shouldn't , particular the young(ish) players like McVeigh and Buchanan who just had off years.

But we do have a problem in midfield and that's age. Crouch, Fosdike, Kirk, J.Bolton, Matthews, Goodes will all be 28+ next year unless we start planning now, we could lose 5 or 6 senior midfielders at the same time to retirement. Getting old midfielders in return for a pick would just worsen this problem. (And one of the reasons why we need to hang onto Buchanan!)

And having 12 senior players next year that are in the 28+ bracket, we should really start looking beyond the next year and start planning for the future. I think we should really keep all our picks this year.

Agreed. We should hang onto all our picks, but in saying that, if a good deal does come across, I think we should take it for the sake of our present success. Wouldn't we love it to win another premiership before all our key players Hall, Barry, O'Loughlin, Kirk, Mathews and Kennelly retire or leave?

12 senior players over the 28 year threshold is a very scary thought. Along with our good run of injuries, when all those 12 players who may retire as a big cluster, we are left with players from the reserves who have little or no experience. We will be spending some time in middle of the ladder, or worse around 9th-11th (We can't be as bad as Carlton? :D). However, if we hold on to our picks and recruit younger players, what are the chances of them breaking into the senior side now rather than later? Its already hard enough for those who've been with us for 2/3 years now.

What Roosy is trying to do, is to obviously recruit older but experienced players and mould our younger players around that player, and hopefully everything will take into shape. It's working at the moment IMO. I think right now, Roosy wants the midfield to work around Goodes who is playing at the pinnacle of his career. Its just that we are lacking an elite midfielder to shoulder some of that baggage, and not discrediting our other midfielders, but we need pacey ones to help Goodes. So I'm with Roosy on this one actually. If they want to trade our top pick for another pacey midfielder who could help Goodes, then so be it.

What Roosy is trying to do, is to obviously recruit older but experienced players and mould our younger players around that player, and hopefully everything will take into shape. It's working at the moment IMO. I think right now, Roosy wants the midfield to work around Goodes who is playing at the pinnacle of his career. Its just that we are lacking an elite midfielder to shoulder some of that baggage, and not discrediting our other midfielders, but we need pacey ones to help Goodes. So I'm with Roosy on this one actually. If they want to trade our top pick for another pacey midfielder who could help Goodes, then so be it.

If we trade for a midfielder, it is only within our interests to select a younger one. No point adding another player to our retirees list in a couple of years time. Another spot in the midfield that a young player has NOT developed into because we've had to fill holes.

I take it you never supported the Swans in the early 90s, or seen much of what Carlton has produced in recent years. Unless we take evasive action soon, that is where we'll be headed.

2009 looms as a huge turnover for this club unless we can find way around that. The following players are likely to depart in 2009-2011 (in that period)
Brett Kirk, Barry Hall, Michael O'Loughlin, Jarred Crouch, Ben Matthews, Tadhg Kennelly, Peter Everitt, Leo Barry, Adam Goodes (maybe slightly after), Jude Bolton.
Possibly of Davis, Fosdike, Doyle, Jolly etc.

Unless we take action to get younger guys now, we're in serious trouble. I am not convinced Roos really cares, and getting Johnstone would be taking a seriously backwards step.

As for Jolly being worth 500K, there is no way he has that value. He is an average ruckman, and average around the ground. The ruckman in the AFL that could ask for that kind of money would be Cox, perhaps Lade and Charman in the future around the mark. Jolly as good as he is, does not offer us as much around the ground as these ruckman, and therefore his value is purely as a ruckman and not as a player that offers us extra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats what I was just about to say.

Jolly will still be at the Swans when Peter retires, and from where we are standing, Jolly will be our Number One Ruckman once again, unless we have drafted for an already experienced ruckman. Doyle would be our second most obvious choice, but I think 500 grand is reasonable enough.

You guys have got no idea when it comes to valueing a player. Barry Hall is on about $500 a year, are you saying that Jolly is worth as much as he is? Lets get a little perspective. Hall is a gun and a match winner and Jolly is a servicable ruckman.

I dont want to lose Jolly. I hope he stays, but I wont be giving him a 4 year deal worth $2 mill just because we dont have someone to replace him. We have Spider and young Currie. Goodsey won a Brownlow playing in the ruck. I'm sure if we lose Jolly that he would be replaced with another ruckman.

If we trade for a midfielder, it is only within our interests to select a younger one. No point adding another player to our retirees list in a couple of years time. Another spot in the midfield that a young player has NOT developed into because we've had to fill holes.

I take it you never supported the Swans in the early 90s, or seen much of what Carlton has produced in recent years. Unless we take evasive action soon, that is where we'll be headed.

2009 looms as a huge turnover for this club unless we can find way around that. The following players are likely to depart in 2009-2011 (in that period)
Brett Kirk, Barry Hall, Michael O'Loughlin, Jarred Crouch, Ben Matthews, Tadhg Kennelly, Peter Everitt, Leo Barry, Adam Goodes (maybe slightly after), Jude Bolton.
Possibly of Davis, Fosdike, Doyle, Jolly etc.

Unless we take action to get younger guys now, we're in serious trouble. I am not convinced Roos really cares, and getting Johnstone would be taking a seriously backwards step.

As for Jolly being worth 500K, there is no way he has that value. He is an average ruckman, and average around the ground. The ruckman in the AFL that could ask for that kind of money would be Cox, perhaps Lade and Charman in the future around the mark. Jolly as good as he is, does not offer us as much around the ground as these ruckman, and therefore his value is purely as a ruckman and not as a player that offers us extra.[/quote]

My exact thoughts buddy. Well said :thumbsu:

Would we be interested in Brennan if the rumour is true that Brisbane are only offering him a small contract?

Hell yeah! Inconsistent but flashy and lively (and youngish). Quick and get grab a decent mark inside 50 with his athleticism, will add some spark to our forward line (and pinch hit at the back against fast, tall forwards like Rusling). Will love to have him.

Would we be interested in Brennan if the rumour is true that Brisbane are only offering him a small contract?

From what Voss was saying towards the end of the season, it sounded like he was going nowhere..
Though if he was available then my first answer on impulse is yes, but do we need another FWD, considering we got a couple in the 2nds waiting, and how good down back is he? im thinkin we need trade for backmen, more than FWDS.

I would rather go after Sherman or Notting (although he is getting on in years) than Brennan. Dont get me wrong he is a freak but I think OKeefe, Davis combo in the future would be better than havin Jarred.
Sherman would at least address our lack of speed in the midfield

I would rather go after Sherman or Notting (although he is getting on in years) than Brennan. Dont get me wrong he is a freak but I think OKeefe, Davis combo in the future would be better than havin Jarred.

True, im with u on this, as good as he is, i dont see the necessity of having him in. If we want to pick other players from Brisbane then Sherman for sure, id also go for for a bloke called Charman.. And wasnt Harding not bad either for a 2nd year player?

We've spend a lot of picks and effort in trying to get that 'midfielder' - Willoughby, Moore and O'Keefe - not to mention the likes of Simpkin, Jack and Smith from the rookies. I will rather give them a chance to shine than trading for a midfielder...otherwise it would render all our effort we put into those kids useless. (And also Thornton and Brabazon if they make the cut)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Mill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back