Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
It is like when we go to Barmah forest, yeah, would love to camp in the same spot everytime but many times people already there so we stay well clear. Nothing worse than bush camping with people close by.

In such a vast area, there is no need to be close to anyone.
Some people can get pretty attached to certain spots and start to think they own it and deserve to put up camp every time in that exact spot. If he'd been going there for a long time and wanted to impress his lady he might have been annoyed and said something to the campers already there. I mean, who knows.
I'll be going through the Wonangatta in about 3 weeks time and will probably stop at the campsite in question, if it's not solved by then (fingers crossed it is) I can probably post a few photos of the general area if it's of interest to anyone
Returning to the scene of the crime, eh buddy?

I listened to a poddy last night "Return to Wonnangatta" Life & Crimes by Andrew Rule in spotify.

The bloke that was running it said it can be very difficult to find bodies up in the high country because deer and many other animals are running rampant which rip up bodies and throw bones all over the place and can also cause them to disintegrate. Goes on to say body recovery unlikely in the High country if not found within a short period of time after death.

Will be very interesting to see if an arrest is made and hopefully enough evidence is available to make charges stick (perhaps the perpetrator left dna evidence on or in the victim's vehicle). I don't remember seeing the coppers reporting anywhere that they hadn't found unidentified DNA on the victim's vehicle.

Also the key found was a spare one that Russell had hidden away that his relatives knew about (this was also discussed on the poddy I listened to). The coppers found it after being informed about it by his family.

Russel''s actual keys he used on the trip were not found as far as I can tell. So for me that pretty much seals it that the perpetrator was either in or used their vehicle.

As I understand things without an admission a Blue Patrol owner / driver confirmed to be camping at Wonnangatta and departing the Friday night 20th of March is not enough on its own to get an arrest warrant. It obviously is suspicious that they have not come forward yet but that alone isn't enough for an arrest. There would need to be extra evidence and/or an admission from that person(s) to arrest them.

Jamie007 lol, solved it with his car pics ? Though i mind thinking i must of read
No. I couldnt get to the front of the car as it was parked in front if a house window.
I did look for the stickers. Was 20 months ago though but yeah noticed it didnt have one. Anyway atleast worst case they can rule it out.

What was 20 months ago, someone explain what i cant no doubt see . I thought Jamie007 may have solved it on Monday.

I listened to a poddy last night "Return to Wonnangatta" Life & Crimes by Andrew Rule in spotify.

The bloke that was running it said it can be very difficult to find bodies up in the high country because deer and many other animals are running rampant which rip up bodies and throw bones all over the place and can also cause them to disintegrate. Goes on to say body recovery unlikely in the High country if not found within a short period of time after death.

Will be very interesting to see if an arrest is made and hopefully enough evidence is available to make charges stick (perhaps the perpetrator left dna evidence on or in the victim's vehicle). I don't remember seeing the coppers reporting anywhere that they hadn't found unidentified DNA on the victim's vehicle.

Also the key found was a spare one that Russell had hidden away that his relatives knew about (this was also discussed on the poddy I listened to). The coppers found it after being informed about it by his family.

Russel''s actual keys he used on the trip were not found as far as I can tell. So for me that pretty much seals it that the perpetrator was either in or used their vehicle.

Cheers for this, could have had his keys in pockets with phone ? This is what i mean, in other places discussing it, theres a lot of comments as to confirmation or lack of items unusual etc but yeah.

Cheers for this, could have had his keys in pockets with phone ? This is what i mean, in other places discussing it a lot of comments as to confirmation of items unusual etc but they dont have to say yeah

All we know is both phones, Russell's drone and the keys he was using were not recovered from the campsite.

Interesting..
Am i missing something with this story? I couldn't find an article that suggests the missing person was found, drives a blue patrol of similar age to what was captured by the cam and is a local around the Pakenham/Drouin area. Were the two known to each other due to living in close proximity, crossed paths in the Wonnangatta and a run in occured?

Police now gravitating towards the theory of altercation turns into murder....

If so; this and Cleo's tent abduction says something about Australian wilderness camping at the moment.... Yeeks!!

But I am wondering whether Russel had set up his camp beside the river at the time of his previous solo visit - the week earlier....?

Setting it up nicely beside the river; ready for a nice romantic time with Carol for the following week - -

But discovers on arrival that some #@#$ camper has packed up and relocated Russel's camp; and has taken over the prime riverside location for him/herself....

Then Russel gets into a big argument over it; starts strafing the offending campsite with his drone; then suddenly its bang; bang; or stab; stab....

Apart from bagging the prime location; when it's important; (ie a nice time with Carol); setting up a campsite ahead of time makes further sence as well...

Because you may not have to haul in as much gear on the one trip... Take more creature comforts over 2 trips; plus the camp is good to go as soon as you arrive.....

(Apart from the murder); I have seen this exact same thing play out in real life btw ...

Camper stakes out a prine spot for his family's return in a week (or 2); but in the meantime - some disgruntled other packs up / and, or moves the thing elsewhere.... (on the guise that he is doing everyone a favour; because he's taking care of an abandoned campsite) .... then huge argument erupts on the return of the aggrieved initial campers ....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wild dogs (Gatta is full of them) and birds make quick work of a carcass.
I have left the remnants of 200kg+ deer and within months all you have left is sunbleached bones scattered all over the place, wild dogs will drag parts away some distance.
I dont imagine a shallow burial would be a problem for the dogs.

Police now gravitating towards the theory of altercation turns into murder....

If so; this and Cleo's tent abduction says something about Australian wilderness camping at the moment.... Yeeks!!

But I am wondering whether Russel had set up his camp beside the river at the time of his previous solo visit - the week earlier....?

Setting it up nicely beside the river; ready for a nice romantic time with Carol for the following week - -

But discovers on arrival that some #@#$ camper has packed up and relocated Russel's camp; and has taken over the prime riverside location for him/herself....

Then Russel gets into a big argument over it; starts strafing the offending campsite with his drone; then suddenly its bang; bang; or stab; stab....

Apart from bagging the prime location; when it's important; (ie a nice time with Carol); setting up a campsite ahead of time makes further sence as well...

Because you may not have to haul in as much gear on the one trip... Take more creature comforts over 2 trips; plus the camp is good to go as soon as you arrive.....

(Apart from the murder); I have seen this exact same thing play out in real life btw ...

Camper stakes out a prine spot for his family's return in a week (or 2); but in the meantime - some disgruntled other packs up / and, or moves the thing elsewhere.... (on the guise that he is doing everyone a favour; because he's taking care of an abandoned campsite) .... then huge argument erupts on the return of the aggrieved initial campers ....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm sure that would have probably been mentioned on the HF radio daily discussion he had with mates at 6pm on arrival at camp in the Wonnangatta. All he said was it was getting dark and he couldn't speak for too long needing to set up camp.

These two incidents don't represent the safety of wilderness camping at all. There are abductions that happen in suburbia (probably more likely if anything) and there are sometimes altercations that involve someone getting killed. The only difference is the secluded nature of where it happened for the Wonnangatta couple gave the perpetrator the ability to conceal what him / her had done and flee the scene with very few witnesses.

10s of thousands travel the Wonnangatta every year. 99% are very pleasant and courteous people who have a respect for the bush and its beauty. It certainly is very safe.

I'm sure that would have probably been mentioned on the HF radio daily discussion he had with mates at 6pm on arrival at camp in the Wonnangatta. All he said was it was getting dark and he couldn't speak for too long needing to set up camp.

These two incidents don't represent the safety of wilderness camping at all. There are abductions that happen in suburbia (probably more likely if anything) and there are sometimes altercations that involve someone getting killed. The only difference is the secluded nature of where it happened for the Wonnangatta couple gave the perpetrator the ability to conceal what him / her had done and flee the scene with very few witnesses.

10s of thousands travel the Wonnangatta every year. 99% are very pleasant and courteous people who have a respect for the bush and its beauty. It certainly is very safe.
Exactly right, maybe blue Nissan came after that and wanted that spot, drone may have annoyed somebody else.. could be a number of things, person has moved bodies far away for any search to find them and wild dogs and animals would have done the rest.

Or they were away from the campsite when they were killed (no one leaves car keys in a tent when not there). But that throws up the question why burn the tent?

I have a feeling that this case will end up being a real simple one when they solve it.

Or they were away from the campsite when they were killed (no one leaves car keys in a tent when not there). But that throws up the question why burn the tent?

I have a feeling that this case will end up being a real simple one when they solve it.

No. The coppers asked the family who said Russell usually hides a spare key and they were able to find it and open the vehicle.

Might be as simple as an argument over the drone. Russell had a new drone, although not necessarily his first, and was practicing flying it all over the place and his neighbour took exception to it, considering you're usually out there for peace and quiet, and it spiralled from there.

Might be as simple as an argument over the drone. Russell had a new drone, although not necessarily his first, and was practicing flying it all over the place and his neighbour took exception to it, considering you're usually out there for peace and quiet, and it spiralled from there.

That seems plausible. Old mate takes offence to Russell flying his drone around the campsite. Russell crashes the drone near old mates campsite who being pissed destroys Russells 2k drone. Scuffle ensues ending up in Russell killed accidentally.

Doesn't explain Carol being killed but that could have happened to cover up the perps tracks.

Am i missing something with this story? I couldn't find an article that suggests the missing person was found, drives a blue patrol of similar age to what was captured by the cam and is a local around the Pakenham/Drouin area. Were the two known to each other due to living in close proximity, crossed paths in the Wonnangatta and a run in occured?
Hypothetically, the amount of info you could obtain for yourself from this public article could potentially be quite staggering...
Hypothetically of course....

Did I hear that some items were recovered that must have been inside the tent, eg chairs? Anything else?

Inside tent pile were chairs, battery, gas canisters. Coppers found that an accidental fire with these items chucked in the tent was implausible.

Site was found burnt out at 2pm the next day by someone passing through the valley. They stated the fire was cold by then (indicating it burnt out overnight) They reported it to the coppers upon getting back into reception the week after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back