Current Trial Russell Hill & Carol Clay - Wonnangatta *Pilot Greg Lynn Pleads Not Guilty to Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOD NOTICE

This case is sub judice as under consideration by the courts. Sub judice contempt can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Please do not state as fact that which is opinion. Also, use 'IMO' and 'allegedly' a lot.

Rules - Updated Crime Board Rules - READ BEFORE POSTING

General Information The BigFooty Crime board is a community that fosters discussion on current and past crimes, some which have social and media notoriety, that attracts the attention of public opinion and discussion on such matters. Please read these rules very carefully, both the Big Footy...
www.bigfooty.com
www.bigfooty.com

On the Greg Lynn committal proceedings Crown Prosecutor Mr Dickie said 'It is clear hopefully from the document, and if it's not clear from the document it's clear hopefully from the charges put before the court, that it is alleged of course that the accused acted with murderous intent when he allegedly killed the two victims.'

Last edited:
That was under judge only trial which may not be an option here.
This is correct. Because a Judge is meant to be able to cast aside those things which are outside his remit but the fear is a jury wont

Nothing to report other than witness has been told they would be called up sooner rather than later (ie early in the list)... Still waiting.

Re content of discussion. As this case is now sub judice, anything that has the potential to contaminate a jury member is risky - for the sake of justice for Russell and Carol, I'd recommend all "facts" be preceded by 'allegedly' and speculation should be noted to be of the posters own opinion.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nothing to report other than witness has been told they would be called up sooner rather than later (ie early in the list)... Still waiting.

Re content of discussion. As this case is now sub judice, anything that has the potential to contaminate a jury member is risky - for the sake of justice for Russell and Carol, I'd recommend all "facts" be preceded by 'allegedly' and speculation should be noted to be of the posters own opinion.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
So to confirm it is a jury and not judge alone trial?. Is that is what has taken the time now, jury selection?

Under propensity evidence I think they can. We saw propensity evidence introduced through the Claremont murder trials relevant to and where there weren't any convictions for prowling, break and enters, assaults and sexual assaults.

Hey Kurve. Found this thread googling button man. Geez it covers a lot of ground. The death of his first wife mentioned in here, do you know if he had an alibi?

Under propensity evidence I think they can. We saw propensity evidence introduced through the Claremont murder trials relevant to and where there weren't any convictions for prowling, break and enters, assaults and sexual assaults.

Surely in that case the circumstances would have to be similar to or relevant in someway to the current case to be introduced as such.

If this goes to trial I doubt it would be judge only considering the high profile unusual nature of the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely in that case the circumstances would have to be similar to or relevant in someway to the current case to be introduced as such.

If this goes to trial I doubt it would be judge only considering the high profile unusual nature of the case.

The propensity evidence we heard in a rape and triple murder judge only trial, was historical evidence of prowling and attacking women as a teenager for which he was never identified and held to account.

It's often due to a high profile nature of a case that it goes to judge only but I'm not sure if that option will be available on this one.

The propensity evidence we heard in a rape and triple murder judge only trial, was historical evidence of prowling and attacking women as a teenager for which he was never identified and held to account.

It's often due to a high profile nature of a case that it goes to judge only but I'm not sure if that option will be available on this one.

That makes sense.

In other words any previous allegations where GL has been involved in the deaths of a completely unrelated elderly couple could possibly be introduced as propensity evidence.

That makes sense.

In other words any previous allegations where GL has been involved in the deaths of a completely unrelated elderly couple could possibly be introduced as propensity evidence.

Who knows what they've found in Lynne's history? We didn't have any idea when the WA trial commenced, of the huge volume of propensity evidence the prosecution had on the defendant. It took a lot of us by complete surprise. This WA defendant didn't always kill his targets either, yet he was charged with three murders (where propensity was allowed)

Lynne losing his temper with elderly people on more than one occasion might do it, depends. A history of animal cruelty might also not be inconsistent.

Last edited:

I don't think propensity evidence, even if there is any, would be allowed in at a jury trial. The bar would be too high imo.

Who knows what they've found in Lynne's history? We didn't have any idea when the WA trial commenced, of the huge volume of propensity evidence the prosecution had on the defendant. It took a lot of us by complete surprise. This WA defendant didn't always kill his targets either, yet he was charged with three murders.

Losing his temper with elderly people on more than one occasion might do it, depends. A history of animal cruelty might also not be inconsistent.

Losing temper with elderly people would definitely be relevant. How would one go about introducing that sort of stuff? Presume it unlikely a judge will accept testimony from those who potentially have a dislike for GL (ex colleagues, former family members etc). A patten of consistent behavior being documented would do it.

Not sure about animal cruelty although that often is a precursor to someone who commits murder.

I don't think propensity evidence, even if there is any, would be allowed in at a jury trial. The bar would be too high imo.

Maybe that's what the DPP appeal ongoing right now is about.

Would the media not be allowed to report on what the appeal is about? Can anyone attend the prelim evidentiary hearings or is that strictly only judge, defendant, DPP and representation?

Not sure about animal cruelty although that often is a precursor to someone who commits murder.

It might be relevant to targeting the weak. There's also knowledge he probably has in field dressing and processing his animal kills, as a hunter.

Sorry to butt in but I listened to some of it.

It's their first episode and they're basically just rabbitting on a bit introducing their pod with very basic information. It didn't get great reviews but I expect it to be a bit punchier as they go along.

So to confirm it is a jury and not judge alone trial?. Is that is what has taken the time now, jury selection?
I don't know if this has been announced yet.? I would have thought Judge rather than jury if the Claremont case is anything to go by?

Having said that "JURY" would be huge in terms of the way the case was presented as both the Prosecution and the Defense would need to address the JURY factor.

Last edited:
Sorry to butt in but I listened to some of it.

It's their first episode and they're basically just rabbitting on a bit introducing their pod with very basic information. It didn't get great reviews but I expect it to be a bit punchier as they go along.

I listened. Nothing of any substance, all about how a trial proceeds. They obviously can't report on any information from the preliminary hearings. There's been absolutely zero media discussion about the upcoming DPP appeal related to preliminary hearings either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back