News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

THE Carlton Football Club can confirm that after 26 years within the AFL industry, Director of High Performance Andrew Russell will step away from football at the conclusion of the 2024 AFL season.

Following six seasons at the Blues, in which time he led high performance, Russell will conclude his time at the Club, with his current contract set to expire at season’s end.

Sakced? Plenty seem happy with it. Apparently you came to work each day to sabotage our players and hold back our list management.
Like Prime Ministers, Premiers, Council Workers, Tradies etc all come into work each day with a view to sabotage??? Sometimes it's not working out, a change is needed, the employee has been there too long or in the industry and has become too institutionalised.

I had a colleague that started with me early 2020 at my current place of employment. Funnily we had both come from working at the same Big4 bank (I was contracting, he was permanent) - he had spent 20+ years at the bank and although he was intelligent, good at elements of his job and a nice and articulate person he just couldn't adjust or adapt to how things were done outside of his comfort zone and changes to the industry (as banks are usually slow to adapt due to security concerns and regulations), he was just too institutionalised to what he knew and how things were done at the bank. He was gone within a year.

This is both good news and bad, for the head of high performance to retire after a review in to our bad run of injuries, suggests to me he was pushed because the review found him to not be up to the job.

Which is bad because we have just wasted two years of our window constantly short on players.

The other negative with this is, there will be an element of doubt now with the LM team that the constantly injured players were mismanaged and might be ok under a new regime.

My point the whole time, the window of opportunity is not infinite and needs to strike when the list is at its peak.

Our last rebuild failed because of the recruiters and their complete ineptness to pick anyone outside of first round and mostly very early first round.
We’ve wasted at least this year, and imo last year holding onto someone hoping it would turnaround.

Number 1 thing I want to see happen whoever takes over, outside of 5 or so players the rest should be made to find form and fitness in the 2’s after extended periods injured. This fallacy that training blocks imitates a real game at the top level is, quite frankly, absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I don't think anybody believes there was malice behind his work lol that's crazy talk.

Russell at all times did what he believed was right when it came to every player.
Neither do I BF and he did, my post was a little bit of sarcastic anger (Gen X etc) in response to some unkind comments.
I wish him every success.

This is both good news and bad, for the head of high performance to retire after a review in to our bad run of injuries, suggests to me he was pushed because the review found him to not be up to the job.

Which is bad because we have just wasted two years of our window constantly short on players.

The other negative with this is, there will be an element of doubt now with the LM team that the constantly injured players were mismanaged and might be ok under a new regime.

The other thing is, are we effectively conceding that we can't win it this year?

Most of us still hold out hope in a very even season, that we are still a slim chance to win it if things go right from hereon. We'd look pretty silly if we "nudged" him out, only to go on a late tear and win 6 in a row.

The other thing is, are we effectively conceding that we can't win it this year?

Most of us still hold out hope in a very even season, that we are still a slim chance to win it if things go right from hereon. We'd look pretty silly if we "nudged" him out, only to go on a late tear and win 6 in a row.
Doubt we're conceding, he's still HPM for at most the next 8 weeks+. But we now can at least officially put out feelers and start interviewing to get a replacement in ASAP.

Inevitable outcome.
Even if Russell - and others - argue that many of our players are just injury prone and no amount of fitness and recovery management would have changed the outcome, it’s not going to override other considerations.
The optics - for example in the Cerra case - become a bigger hurdle as the raw numbers, plans, strategies, changes.
That’s what happens in many workplaces, forget the deep detail, it just doesn’t look/feel right … and its more cutthroat at AFL level due to the audience.

injuries might be only part of the equation. there's also things like developing the fitness and physique of newer players.
however, none of that is anything i could claim to have any idea about how well he has done. generally, 6 years is a pretty good tenure regardless - a new face might bring some other ideas or improvements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The evidence and facts make a strong case about our injury list and our form however I’m still holding out hope because I’m a supporter and this year has been weird to say the least …
Think it’s important that he has agreed to exit at the end of season - that’s sensible from both sides and confirms that the club thinks we can be competitive come finals time.

Probably the right decision to move him in, even if it was made so we could try something different.

However, some of the treatment he has received, and continues to receive from Carlton fans, has been beyond disgraceful. It’s been beyond criticism, and been vindictive. Hope that group can sleep well knowing the way they’ve talked about someone who has done his best for 6 years at the club, and is extremely popular amongst the players

The club shouldn’t even thank him for his services. He should be the one thanking the club for paying him hundreds of thousands of dollars a year for essentially being shocking at what he does.
Does that mean he did a brilliant job with all those who didn't get soft tissue injuries?

His time may well have been up but there are players who just don't have bodies equipped for the rigours of professional sport

Docherty and Acres got us into a Prelim with busted shoulders

Martin tears his calf applying the brakes at a set of traffic lights

Perspective!!!

Ultimately a disappointing outcome for the club to be in this position while we are "in the window", but time for Cook and Lloyd to go shopping and make the most of this opportunity.

Wish Russell all the best with what comes next - will be interesting if he genuinely steps away from footy

Best of luck to Russell with whatever is next in life for him. I'm sure he gave it his all.

A change will probably be good for us though.

Need to clean out our injury prone players in the off season though. Gee it would be nice to have a season or 2 with minimal injuries. Could be the difference between winning a flag or not.

I’ve got a feeling that this is an admission the playing group are stuffed physically and they know it’s not going to get better this year.

Hope to be proven wrong though.

It does have a stench of getting ahead of the narrative though.
The PR machine has been in full force for weeks. Lots of talk of praising effort and taking lessons from players/coaches. Plenty of retro gear/players to distract the fan base.

I’ve got a feeling that this is an admission the playing group are stuffed physically and they know it’s not going to get better this year.

Hope to be proven wrong though.

It does have a stench of getting ahead of the narrative though.
Yeah, reeks of softening the blow of the more than likely crash and burn.

I hate to say it, but that is my realistic appraisal of our outlook.

Still, if we win all our remaining H&A games somehow - we will make finals and be a remote chance... much like last year

Remove this Banner Ad

News Andrew Russell to step away at season’s end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back