Remove this Banner Ad

Powered Up

Debutant
Suspended
Oct 14, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How impressive was Ryder last night, he really took it to Goldstein & McIntosh, 2 elite ruckman in the AFL, if this is a sample of what is to come from Ryder he could end up a pretty special player.
I still can't believe how he made the North pair look so ordinary.

Hitouts

Ryder = 33
McIntosh / Goldy combined = 28

Kicks

Ryder = 13
McIntosh / Goldy combined = 12

H/Balls

Ryder = 7
McIntosh / Goldy combined = 9

Goals

Ryder = 1.1
McIntosh / Goldy combined = 1.1

Marks

Ryder = 9
McIntosh / Goldy combined = 6

Tackles

Ryder = 3
McIntosh / Goldy combined = 4

Dreamteam

Ryder = 128
McIntosh / Goldy combined = 112

Mate, HMac slots the goal and our ruckman wins us the game. Ryder was good but not great.

Mate, HMac slots the goal and our ruckman wins us the game. Ryder was good but not great.

Are you serious??? Ryder had more hitouts than Goldy and Hmac combined, that is a smacking in anyones language.

Interesting move by North to play the two ruckman considering Goldy's dominance last year. Can Hmac and Goldy offer enough up forward to justify it considering both are lumbering types. Gives another long option other than Petrie I guess

Ryder was good, I'm not saying he went crap. But it wasn't Dean Cox stuff.

Hurley was OK, but Ryder and Stanton were easily their bets 2 players.

Hurley was even listed in their best 7 players when I checked the paper this morning and watching the game, he went missing for nearly three quarters. Ryder & Stanton were easily Essendons best. Easily.

But, but, but...

If we kick 20.14 instead of 14.20 we win easy.

The abysmal umpiring display costing Essendon another 3 goals, especially in the final quarter, and attempting to gift wrap the game for NM.

But, but, but...

You didn't win.

Maybe if your overrated midfield could quell the Essendon midfielders who were deemed inferior by your own supporters then the result might have been different.

Ryder/Hille gave the North ruckmen a footballing lesson, even Suzi's cousin said so at the press conference after the game.

It's funny watching the game on tv I knew Ryder had a good game but the stats say he actually had a great game. 20 Disposals 165 Supercoach points and 33 hitouts is Cox-esque stats. Now don't get me wrong its just one game and it remains to be seen if he can carry it on for the rest of the seasons but I reckon I've seen a bit more of a determined edge from Ryder (during the whole preseason). Whilst he will still have his off days I suspect they will be a bit better than previously. Also his kicking for a ruck is seriously good, the only one better in my opinion is Cox, rarely every turns it over.

I thought the most telling passage of play was when Melksham bumped Goldstein out of a contest 40m out directly in front like he wasn't even there. Goldstein has 10 inches and 20 kgs on Melksham, that was a disgraceful effort. His confidence must have been down after lowering his colours to Ryder and Hille all night but that is inexplicable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is ryder looks like a superstar one game then looks like a hack the next

A bit harsh but essentially correct.

Ryder has never had an issue with pulling out big games and at times even being completely dominant but he does have an issue with consistency.

I don't think he's completely ready to throw that tag yet but if he ever does he will be one of the most valuable players in the league, just not sure he ever will.

Ryder's tap work is sublime as well. There was a reason our "Crab" of a midfield played so well and a fair bit of it had to do with the first class service from Paddy.

The word around has been that Ryder has had some personal/family issues the last couple of years but has finally sorted that out. He really got on his bike last night and it was good to see.

I thought the most telling passage of play was when Melksham bumped Goldstein out of a contest 40m out directly in front like he wasn't even there. Goldstein has 10 inches and 20 kgs on Melksham, that was a disgraceful effort. His confidence must have been down after lowering his colours to Ryder and Hille all night but that is inexplicable

It was actually McIntosh but apart from that, entirely agree. Was awful "effort".

Hurley was even listed in their best 7 players when I checked the paper this morning and watching the game, he went missing for nearly three quarters. Ryder & Stanton were easily Essendons best. Easily.

Hurley didn't go missing, a lot of his leads weren't honoured because Firrito was climbing all over him and getting away with it. He still kicked goals, crashed packs, chased like a madman, made desperate spoils and smothers and was just generally a massive presence in our forward line. I agree he wasn't in our best few, but if that's the impact he has for having an 'okay' game then he's in for a massive year.

Definitely agree that Stanton and Ryder were clear 1 & 2 BOG respectively.

That was both hilarious on his behalf and fantastic body work on Melksham's. :D

Ryder and Hille were both better than either H or Goldy last night, and it was a big factor in North falling behind. Rucking, around the ground, in defense and in attack, they both provided the big presence we were expecting from our two and didn't see. A lot to be disappointed about from our side and that was about the biggest.

Oh well, plenty of games ahead for them to make up for it. When they have each been at their best, consistency has been one of their strongest attributes - it would be fantastic if they can find a way to work in the same team at that level, but we'll have to wait and see.

My bad if it I have it wrong. Point it is what crap whoever it was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ryder destroys the North rucking pair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back