Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's say that Port decide to terminate Hinkley's employment.
Who do you suggest replacing him with? The coaching market is relatively thin when it comes to available quality at the moment.
It's why Richmond ended up with Yze who is a dud.
Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. Anyone else will give some hope.

Dude sitting at the poker table..

"Reckon we have a good chance Friday night against the Hawks"

Me "is Hinkley still coach?"

Him looks at me weird "yes"

Me "then we have no chance"

I then get a 5min lecture of why it isn't Hinkley's fault it's the selectors fault ect.

😐 Just need to shut my mouth.
Stick to this Kenny.
Kenny Rogers Gambling GIF

I distinctly recall most people saying on here how mature our wins were against Adelaide and Freo, and absolutely waxing lyrical about the Sydney win. The only win in the last month that I noticed any negativity about was the Melbourne win.

Early on and the middle parts of the year there was lots of criticism but it definitely waned and it was mainly positive in the last 6 weeks or so.

Now with the benefit of hindsight, we were going terribly all along.

I just don’t buy it.

I never said we were going terribly, I said we overrated what we were doing during those late wins based on some wins against bottom 10 sides, leading to us select a disaster of a forward line for the first final, the least capable forward line we've selected in memory.

Our forward strategy has always been an issue. It's relied on individual brilliance for the entire Hinkley era. You can't then pick a forward line with only 2 goalscoring threats and win a final.

Chad Cornes presented to the media yesterday.
He said that there has to be a mental element to why they're not performing in finals. The interesting bit was he said that before the game, Ken asked the question of the players "is the moment too big for you?" And Chad said they all said no.

All I can say to that is fück me.

Biggest game of the season and here you've got the coach before the game asking the players whether they can handle playing finals footy? What a moronic way to go about things.

He should have been pumping the players up saying what an incredible job they've done this season to get into this position, that their form over the course of the year proves that they are more than good enough to beat anyone on their day, and that their form in tight games this year, which is typical of finals footy, showed that they were ready for the contest ahead.
Show some fücking belief in your players for once instead of putting the fear of God into them. Jesus Christ.

This is why Ken Hinkley will forever be a loser. The reality is the players should have asked whether the moment is too big for Ken? It unquestionably is.
Luv that last para

Jimmy Bartel and co on Classified just tore the coaching group to pieces, was really shocked by how poor they were tactically aganst the cats and how they failed to try any adjustments. Unfortunately carr is part of this group, does he have a voice or is he agreeing to this crap.
Must admit, am loving listening to Bartel.

Its just so sad that even after Ken Hinkley singlehandedly delivered 16 wins this AFL season, that the players let him down for 7 losses, and let him down again last week. Here's hoping they don't let him down again against Hawthorn, and he can singlehandedly win the game.
If there was a Brownlow for coaches, he'd win it every year, right? 😁

I was listening to 3AW before yesterday's game and they talked about Hinkley. Tony Shaw was one commentator, not sure who the other two were. None of them thought categorically that Hinkley should go. One ummed and ahhed a bit, in the end settled on It should be his decision. The other two put it all on the players, what could poor Kenny do.

If that was Collingwood, Carlton, name your Vic club, they would have forensically dissected the coach.
They don't give a shit about Port. Ken is one of them.

Once again, Kane is blaming the players.

Particularly galling when Butters should never have been played after that late clash with Freo.

Ken is a serial offender at risking players' health (Butters, Rozee, Alier Alier, Hartlett, even trying to sub Jones with a "migraine").

Butters is our bravest player. Kane is a moron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched.

Bartel reckons that if the campaigner can pull out a win on Friday night it’ll be the “best win of his career”.

I can’t believe this delusion. I understand the Hawks are in form and have had a great year, but this is a side that finished 16th last year, are still in the midst of a rebuild and are playing away from home…

We SHOULD be winning this game and comfortably, yet the media are going to kiss his feet if we do???????? Like it’s some great feat that we should be beating a 7th placed side at home?

I seriously cannot believe what we continue to see and hear from the media. It is remarkable.
I feel like I'm living in either Russia, China or North Korea. It's outrageous.

Must admit, am loving listening to Bartel.
Bartel is unquestionably measured and intelligent on most subjects, but he's also a Ken supporter.

Even citing the "coaching box" is an attempt to deflect from Ken.

Whenever Port wins, it's Ken's "connection" (Bartel's word) with the players.

Whenever Port loses, it's the whole club to blame and especially the "coaching box".

Similar to Graham Cornes, who cites Josh Carr's name whenever Port loses.

In no other club does an assistant coach get mentioned as frequently as Carr is.

When Sydney was smashed by Kenny, I didn't hear a dozen commentators citing Dean Cox yet all we ever hear is about Josh Carr when Port lose.

That's because the buck stops with the coach (always) - if he doesn't agree with a line coach, if he feels he needs a certain player, if he is unhappy with recruiting, if he believes he needs a new conditioning person or psychologist etc. It's up to the coach to demand these things or work better with what he has.

Last edited:
Well if that's the case, what a conniving, two-faced campaigner. After what he said about Hinkley and "he's coaching better than ever" just 12 months ago prior to the third most ridiculous contract extension; third only to the 2017 and end of 2020 extensions. Man I hate this guy. The whole footy dept (coaches, development, fitness, SANFL) has progressively gone to sh*t since he walked through our doors end of 2014.
100%. His only interest is saving his own arse.

"Ken Hinkley's a gentleman". Michelangelo Rucci on SEN 10/09/2024.

LOL. We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.
He certainly is - especially in September. He graciously allows opposition teams to walk all over his team, as soon as the stakes are high. What a guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Sack Hinkley 12 - Finals Are Scary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back