Toast Saints Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Chris Pelchan mentioned on SEN that we are setting up a EPL style "Saints Academy". Will be for 12-15 players that are really starting out in careers. They will be getting real intensive training on and off track in terms of leadership off the track, especially on skill acquisition and fitness.

Sounds pretty full on and exactly what we need to get our youngsters upto standard quickly like the other top clubs.

So is it for players inside or outside the club?

Didnt say, but i think it will be for all the rookies and first year players. Possibly some of the better Sandy guys.. Will be used to try and bridge the gap from the step up from reserves to seniors.

As the only sports I follow are cricket and AFL (well, laughing at stupid people might count as a sport in some countries) a few questions if I may;

• I assume EPL is that sport known as soccer and from my geographic knowledge (and the fact that I watch SBS occasionally, more the latter) this would mean a European effort?
  • Why should I give a crap as to what that sport does in their competition of oil barons harem wars?
  • Why is it a good thing that we are seemingly appropriating anything from that sport to begin with?

Because I doubt anyone could explain what the crap it entails in earnest.

Like the idea, hopefully we can now get as much possible out of our young players.

Then again you look at Geelong and look at what they've produced over the years you would think were wasting our time lol.

Just listened to that interview, sounds very promising. Any of the other clubs doing this/something similar?

many of the other clubs are using the term Academy for their development groups
Richmond's I think is specificly aimed at their indigenous players
essendon certainly have and Sydney as mentioned,

Sydney have some sort of academy I think.

I might be able to give you a bit of info re the Sydney Academy. It doesn't sound like quite the same thing to what the Saints are proposing. The Sydney Academy is aimed at boys from age 10 through to draft age. I believe that GWS, the Suns and the Lions also have them. They're designed to provide intensive training (skills development, tactics etc) in order to help compensate for the comparative lack of exposure to Aussie Rules in NSW and Qld.

The club can then get to draft the best prospects from their Academy using rules similar to the Father/Son rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans/GWS/Brisbane/GC academies are entirely different to that which you guys will set up. Our academies pretty much work like the father/son rule, with every kid in the academy potentially being a father/son recruit.

I think an academy is a very good idea, for the development of young players. But I think it could go beyond that as well, creating stronger ties with Sandi and the local area.

As well as youngsters, eg. Rookies and 1st-3rd years, you could have a selection of good Sandi players who could have potential at AFL level.

Beyond that, a sponsorship thing for players outside the VFL could occur. Fans or the club could find a player in the MPFL or something and sponsor him to come to Sandi, and participate in the "academy".

I might totally be misreading what this academy will be, but as long as its not an "apprenticeship", I don't really care!

As the only sports I follow are cricket and AFL (well, laughing at stupid people might count as a sport in some countries) a few questions if I may;

• I assume EPL is that sport known as soccer and from my geographic knowledge (and the fact that I watch SBS occasionally, more the latter) this would mean a European effort?
  • Why should I give a crap as to what that sport does in their competition of oil barons harem wars?
  • Why is it a good thing that we are seemingly appropriating anything from that sport to begin with?

Because I doubt anyone could explain what the crap it entails in earnest.

The Seaford facility is based upon the EPL model.

Ah so that's the reason for full length windows, here was me thinking all them suits just wanted a tan whilst indoors. :p

it does look a tad bright in Watters' corner office.

I believe Richmond got their window set up from the space shuttle.

There was also in Nettles offices or whatever room he was in when the whole Ross situation went down that was pretty full length, now I'm of the opinion these are only with rooms facing the oval (as the social club across the road does the same thing with pretty full on windows facing the oval for viewing) but I'd have imagined it wouldn't be as "private" for such sort of offices.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Saints Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back