News Saints to thaw out in Noosa for a bit

Remove this Banner Ad

It may well be that for a good part of this season , they'll be the SunshineCoast Saints.

As a base location it'll be good once they are out of quarantine.
Good chance the W.A. Nazi will lift some of his restrictions, so they could fly to W.A. for a weekend then back home to Noosa.

wow.

the best time to delete this post was straight after posting it.

the 2nd best time is now.

If we go 5-0 on the Gold Coast ill be expecting Hutchy to call for us to merge with the Suns to build a super list of elite AFL talent to win 10 flags in a row.

Any different to a plane for 4 hours like the boys in Perth do? I highly doubt they get in the bus at the siren. They would warm down and then go
10 can trip home? 😃🍺

N2z4aBB.gif

By the time you drive to the airport, sit around, board the plane, wait for delayed take-off, land, sit on the tarmac, wait to exit and then get a cab/bus/train to your hotel, it's about 3 hours of sitting down time just to get from Melbourne to Sydney.

The advantage of a bus ride is that you can stop to stretch the legs, refuel, jump in the ocean etc.

A few AFL players live out Berwick way - they could easily rack up 1hr 15 min driving to a game in Melbourne Saturday traffic. Doesn't affect them.

If we go 5-0 on the Gold Coast ill be expecting Hutchy to call for us to merge with the Suns to build a super list of elite AFL talent to win 10 flags in a row.

I would be agreeable to that

Called the St.Kilda Saints who wear Redit White and Back whose theme song is When the Saints Go Marching In, whose training base is Moorabbin and all of our away games against interstate teams (6 a year) are at Metricon, and sixteen at Marvel.

Sounds fair.

Brisbane winters are often dry cloudless days for weeks on end with cool / cold nights and warm sunny days
It does get cold here (currently 8.2 C feels like 6 C) and oddly the forecast says 13 to 22 C which denies the current temp ??
Noosa is 90 mins by bus at this time of the year, but on a work day you could add a bit to that. Probably 3 hours to Metricon. Hope they get there early - don't want them hopping off a 3 hr bus trip and heading straight to a pregame warm up.

A cold 8.2 C hey... A crisp 0.0 C here in (Huonville) southern Tasmania at 10am today. Thankfully no wind otherwise Antarctica feels really close.

Eumundi is a top little town up in the Noosa Hinterland. I could spend winter there happily.

Yeah, it's nice, a bit of a Queensland Nimbin without the junkies.

To dispel a few myths...
QLD has great Coffee and a great Coffee culture, national brands Di Bella and Merlo were both born here in Brisbane.
Noosa is nothing like Brighton - its is 100,000 times better. Great surfing, fishing, restaurants, sun, sand, warm water, national park and a nudist beach.
The drive to the Gabba will be 2 hours - Metricon will be at least 3 - this can not possibly be good preparation for a game - but hopefully the good outweighs the bad.
There is an airport only 35 minutes from the resort - serviced by all the airlines. Fingers crossed we will be leaving from there.
Day games here are generally fast and dry affairs - will suit us. Night games at Metricon are always dewwy, the Gabba is 50/50.

To dispel a few myths...
QLD has great Coffee and a great Coffee culture, national brands Di Bella and Merlo were both born here in Brisbane.
Noosa is nothing like Brighton - its is 100,000 times better. Great surfing, fishing, restaurants, sun, sand, warm water, national park and a nudist beach.
The drive to the Gabba will be 2 hours - Metricon will be at least 3 - this can not possibly be good preparation for a game - but hopefully the good outweighs the bad.
There is an airport only 35 minutes from the resort - serviced by all the airlines. Fingers crossed we will be leaving from there.
Day games here are generally fast and dry affairs - will suit us. Night games at Metricon are always dewwy, the Gabba is 50/50.

Sorry, Queensland has shit coffee. Noosa would be the better end of it though. I agree the Brighton comparison was a bit of smart arse hyperbole, I would gladly spend 6 weeks in Noosa but 6 hours in Brighton would be enough for me for ever. That said most of Brighton congregate in Noosa in winter.

To dispel a few myths...
Yeah, I'm extremely fussy about coffee and lived in Qld for a couple of years. Even in Melbs if you don't know where to go, the coffee can suck really badly. If you know where to go up there you can get some great drinks, and some of the cafes were really cool too, with cool patrons.

I'm sure it's better now, but when I was in Oz, Sydney was more frustrating when it came to coffee. Again, local knowledge I'm sure.

Live music was more of a problem. There were plenty of good musos around, but not enough places for them to play and a lot of the gigs were unpaid, and in bowling alleys e.t.c.

To dispel a few myths...

Of course a Brisbane dweller would describe it as great Coffee. Just like the British think they have good beer.
Growing the beans doesn't mean you are good at making Coffee :p

Yeah, I'm extremely fussy about coffee and lived in Qld for a couple of years. Even in Melbs if you don't know where to go, the coffee can suck really badly. If you know where to go up there you can get some great drinks, and some of the cafes were really cool too, with cool patrons.

I'm sure it's better now, but when I was in Oz, Sydney was more frustrating when it came to coffee. Again, local knowledge I'm sure.

Live music was more of a problem. There were plenty of good musos around, but not enough places for them to play and a lot of the gigs were unpaid, and in bowling alleys e.t.c.

I think Japan is a bit like that too. Friends tell me that the coffee is good if you know where to go. I was so desperate that I was downing canned coffee on stations to ward off uncontrollable hand shaking. It looks a lot better now with lots of proper coffee houses in big cities. France is the worst place for coffee. It's got that hideous milky crap in a bucket everywhere, you have travel to get anything good. My wife wants to go to Japan as soon as the borders open back up from watch Midnight Diner on Netflix. I might need suggestions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Japan is a bit like that too. Friends tell me that the coffee is good if you know where to go. I was so desperate that I was downing canned coffee on stations to ward off uncontrollable hand shaking. It looks a lot better now with lots of proper coffee houses in big cities. France is the worst place for coffee. It's got that hideous milky crap in a bucket everywhere, you have travel to get anything good. My wife wants to go to Japan as soon as the borders open back up from watch Midnight Diner on Netflix. I might need suggestions.

Lol Japanese coffee was shocking but having cans of it (as well as highballs among others) available on the street in vending machines somewhat made up for it!

Last edited:
To dispel a few myths...

Quite a few aren’t bringing their whole list to hubs , Gold Coast has other issues

I may be wrong here, but I'm sure it was those clubs decisions to not send all of their list?

I thought the AFL has said they were willing to send everyone.

That's terrible news about the drowning, but sorry I don't really understand the relevance?

I may be wrong here, but I'm sure it was those clubs decisions to not send all of their list?

I thought the AFL has said they were willing to send everyone.

That's terrible news about the drowning, but sorry I don't really understand the relevance?

The point really was most clubs made travel arrangements prior to knowledge of the states lockdown
now as a result they have a problem with 6 week lockdown ...not going to attempt to change your
opinion ,for mine we are fortunate on several fronts , have a young list all are experiencing travel
together like a pre season camp , they can be away from eyes work on things ,also train at different times
the School Holidays on Gold Coast is crazy when compared to Sunshine Coast , have a look at training videos
Gym there is 1st Class , huge benefit being based in Queensland compared to being in Sydney then
go to Perth in Winter don’t get any negative myself , Ratten expressed frustration 3 weeks ago with
young group , every team meeting was repeated 3 times to comply with restrictions, match simulation
again restrictions meant they could not have probables vs possibles now with full list not an issue.

Ratten stated his biggest frustration was not having continuity with the programming during COVID
now he has full access to his entire list for a month , just me for young group priceless.

Drive down via Kilcoy, Dalby, Woombie, Warwick and come back up the arse end through Coolangatta they should make it with hours to spare if they leave early enough.
I would prefer that they don't come back through Warwick's arse at all!! :oops:

Can't be good for their performance levels, not to mention the ripple effect it could have on team morale!

The point really was most clubs made travel arrangements prior to knowledge of the states lockdown
now as a result they have a problem with 6 week lockdown ...not going to attempt to change your
opinion ,for mine we are fortunate on several fronts , have a young list all are experiencing travel
together like a pre season camp , they can be away from eyes work on things ,also train at different times
the School Holidays on Gold Coast is crazy when compared to Sunshine Coast , have a look at training videos
Gym there is 1st Class , huge benefit being based in Queensland compared to being in Sydney then
go to Perth in Winter don’t get any negative myself , Ratten expressed frustration 3 weeks ago with
young group , every team meeting was repeated 3 times to comply with restrictions, match simulation
again restrictions meant they could not have probables vs possibles now with full list not an issue.

Ratten stated his biggest frustration was not having continuity with the programming during COVID
now he has full access to his entire list for a month , just me for young group priceless.
Okay mate, but most of this things you've stated (having access to the players in meeting, having a full list to train with, young list) would have been the same anywhere out of Melbourne.

It's the clubs choice to take a full list or not, nothing to do with being on Noosa or Gold Coast.

I'm not going to go on about it, because I actually don't see it as a disadvantage or an advantage so I really don't care that much.

My point being, I cannot see how we are at any more advantage. Clearly there are upsides, but travelling every single week is not one.

Okay mate, but most of this things you've stated (having access to the players in meeting, having a full list to train with, young list) would have been the same anywhere out of Melbourne.

It's the clubs choice to take a full list or not, nothing to do with being on Noosa or Gold Coast.

I'm not going to go on about it, because I actually don't see it as a disadvantage or an advantage so I really don't care that much.

My point being, I cannot see how we are at any more advantage. Clearly there are upsides, but travelling every single week is not one.

I think the reason we were perceived as lucky is the environment there. You pay a premium to stay there compared to places like GC.

To dispel a few myths...

Except for
The restaurants
Along Hastings street. Apart from the Indian restaurant they are all overpriced and overrated and yet think they are 6 star ⭐️. And I should know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back