Salary Cap Concession Reason #1

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Davis, nothing for losing him, goes to a salary cap concession club
The ultimate example of how pathetic the excuses for BRIS & SYD really are

Nathan Buckley, wanted to play in melbourne, Brisbane could not pay him enough to stay. Maybe $600,000 would have convinced him.

LegalEagle said:
Nathan Buckley, wanted to play in melbourne, Brisbane could not pay him enough to stay. Maybe $600,000 would have convinced him.
O'Bree and Molloy both wanted to return to Melbourne. Collingwood proactively set out to poach as many homesick Brisbane players as they could.

It was exactly that sort of behaviour that forced the AFL to try to do something about it.

LegalEagle said:
To create a LEVEL playing field for Rugby state based team when recruiting and retaining their interstate players. To compensate for the UNFAIR advantage that aussie rules state based team have when maintaining their player lists.

If collingwood or essendon or whichever whinging victorian club had 50% of their players from interstate then they would get a consession too.

Now stop all your ********ing whinging and you "* Brisbane" bull********

All your doing is spouting a theory. You haven't proved that it is harder to get a team together in brisbane than geelong or at the western bulldogs or any of the teams in SA or WA.

NICK THE PIE MAN said:
A big reason why the Lions and Sydney have the concession is so they can retain their interstate players. Why should Brisbane and Sydney have extra money to retain interstate players over other interstate clubs? Just because it is a rugby-state? Does it matter? Why not for Port Adelaide, too? They lost a gun midfielder in homesick Nick Stevens and now will lose an equally good player in Josh Carr this year. Adelaide lost Kane Johnston to the same thing. Fremantle had the same with Heath Black who wanted to return home. And i'm sure the West Coast will have a big fight on their hands to hold on to Chris Judd.

The simple answer is that Brisbane and Sydney have less chance of developing home grown players compared to Adelaide and Perth.

NICK THE PIE MAN said:
An extra $600 000 creates a LEVEL playing field?

As I have said, whilst I disagree about the concessions, I haven't been vocal about it as I see it as unjustly taking a way alot of Brisbane's accomplishment. They would have won three in a row without the concession - I am positive of that.

I will say one thing though, and this is not a swipe at the Lions, their accomplishments, or their fans...

A big reason why the Lions and Sydney have the concession is so they can retain their interstate players. Why should Brisbane and Sydney have extra money to retain interstate players over other interstate clubs? Just because it is a rugby-state? Does it matter? Why not for Port Adelaide, too? They lost a gun midfielder in homesick Nick Stevens and now will lose an equally good player in Josh Carr this year. Adelaide lost Kane Johnston to the same thing. Fremantle had the same with Heath Black who wanted to return home. And i'm sure the West Coast will have a big fight on their hands to hold on to Chris Judd.

It's a problem for victorian clubs, too. Collingwood lost Nick Davis to Sydney, Wanganeen went home, Luke McPharlin went home to WA, as did Peter Bell, Jeff Farmer, Daniel Chick, the list goes on.

I agree that 5-10 years ago this was needed for Brisbane when the game was still developing in QLD but now they are selling out home games and have a lot of exposure up here now, thus it is more attractive and enticing to stay here compared to what it was in the 90's. Things have changed alot up here and they now have no more trouble than any other interstate club trying to hold onto their interstate players.

Again, i'm not taking anything away from the Lions at all. They would still have gotten their three flags without the $600 000 but I just don't think the concession is a necessity anymore like it was five to ten years back.

Nick, the answer to that, is that though West Coast is a chance of losing Chris Judd on the swings, they're always a chance of picking up Simon Black on the round-about (although I bloody hope not). As you said, Carr is a problem for Port, but is a free-bee for the Eagles if he walks in asking for a game. Stenglein is doing exactly that right now.

Adelaide are going to miss 'Stinger' but are always a chance at luring 'Pav' home next time. Swings and roundabouts for AFL states. To this point, Scott McIvor (1990) and Nick Davis (2003) are still the only players to ever play the 'I want to go home' card to return to the northern states.

Personally, I don't mind the idea of setting a 'percentage per relocated player' factor. Each relocated player might allow for another $20,000-$30,000 in the cap. 10 relocated payers gets you $250,000 - 30 relocated players = $750,000.

Clubs are free to deliberately target interstate players so they can push their cap up, but as those guys improve the club's going to have a pool of guys vulnerable to raids from their home states. Remember, most of these 'homing pidgeon' guys go home to play for similar money to they were getting so it's a pretty cruisy deal if you can pick up a hardened 22 yo for no real money.

In the end, losing a Stenglein at 24 may not be worth to extra $25k it allowed you while he was there.

All of you doubters and those of you who questions why Sydney/Brisbane get slaray cap conessions, wake up to yourselves.

The reason why is because both are still bery much rugby states, where AFL football is not popular state wide although it sounds as though some of you believe it is the dominant code in NSW & Qld.

So stop all your ranting and raving, because it is a national competition not the VFL any more.

dj21 said:
All your doing is spouting a theory. You haven't proved that it is harder to get a team together in brisbane than geelong or at the western bulldogs or any of the teams in SA or WA.

and no body has proven that the extra payments go to grabbing better players. No body has proven that Brisbanes premierships are a direct result of the extra payments. My theory is more probablr because there are many cases of players getting homesick and victorian teams deliberately targeting them. (Lucky for the Eagles we had the spare money and loyalty to keep Judd)

Fact is that brisbanes best players are actually paid less than they deserve, they have chosen to stay there because of club loyalty, and brisbanes recruiting strategy over the years has been much smarter. Probably every club has one or two overpaid players, yet brisbanes stars are mostly underpaid.

They are a strong force because of their superier list management and loyalty, not a measly 600k.

weevil said:
Yeah maybe in your little make-believe fantasy world that’s how things work...Ypou know it’s actually just a teeny weeny bit more complicated than that.

Instead of just saying it, how about you give an explanation. ie. try to back up your statement.

LegalEagle said:
and no body has proven that the extra payments go to grabbing better players. No body has proven that Brisbanes premierships are a direct result of the extra payments. My theory is more probablr because there are many cases of players getting homesick and victorian teams deliberately targeting them. (Lucky for the Eagles we had the spare money and loyalty to keep Judd)

Fact is that brisbanes best players are actually paid less than they deserve, they have chosen to stay there because of club loyalty, and brisbanes recruiting strategy over the years has been much smarter. Probably every club has one or two overpaid players, yet brisbanes stars are mostly underpaid.

They are a strong force because of their superier list management and loyalty, not a measly 600k.
650 thousand dollars more 2002 grand final 9 point margin..... just keep kidding yourself

and you keep crying into that pillow ya sore loser. I'm sure the logic of our argument will escape you in your emotional state so please, bookmark this thread and when you get over it, come back and post something intelligent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Row_z said:
and you keep crying into that pillow ya sore loser. I'm sure the logic of our argument will escape you in your emotional state so please, bookmark this thread and when you get over it, come back and post something intelligent
when was your last premiership? *hands the hanky over*

Gunder said:
Thats naive, sponsors only care about television coverage, which is national

As a Pies supporter whinging about SC concessions, you might want to take a good long look at yourself before heading off down this path. If you think Brisbane's TV exposure is similar to that of the Pies, then you're sadly mistaken.

Gunder said:
when was your last premiership? *hands the hanky over*

Gunder, you play the 'premiership busted record' a lot, and I like your balls for trying it on so often, but honestly, .. 15 years since your last one,... back to the golden eras of Betty Cuthbert and Robert Menzies for the previous one.. it's not exactly a record to send shivers down opposition spines, mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Salary Cap Concession Reason #1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back